Romeo Langford

5 hours ago, Iuprof said:

Since sectionals start in two weeks I believe, do you think he waits until after the whole state championship is over, or whenever he is eliminated? What would his timeline be if he decides after the tournament? Weeks after, days?

The sectional doesn't start for over another month... it's the girls that starts in 2 weeks. 

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Romeo is on EJ's level as a high school player.  It's human nature to think things where better "in our day" but the reality is that humans keep getting better, not worse.  

Come on man, I’m not that old lol. Romeo isn’t even close to where EJ was in terms of physical development. When EJ wanted to get to the rim, nobody that wasn’t named Greg Oden was stopping him. And he had the killer mentality.

Langford is a polished scorer but he doesn’t have the build and I’ve yet to see the fire. He has finesse on his side but the B1G is a physical league, historically speaking. 

14 minutes ago, Bigred3588 said:

Come on man, I’m not that old lol. Romeo isn’t even close to where EJ was in terms of physical development. When EJ wanted to get to the rim, nobody that wasn’t named Greg Oden was stopping him. And he had the killer mentality.

Langford is a polished scorer but he doesn’t have the build and I’ve yet to see the fire. He has finesse on his side but the B1G is a physical league, historically speaking. 

Have to agree. Just look at their bodies. EJ was a man his freshman year at IU. Romeo is still scrawny. 

Romeo is listed at 6'5-6'6 and ESPN said 200lbs last Friday. That's hardly scrawny. I watched both a ton in HS and EJ year at IU.. personally as an entire player there's no question I'd take Romeo, none at all... if I need one bucket I would probably take EJ. Length, size, defensive versatility,  and rebounding are all STRONGLY in Romeo's favor. 

28 minutes ago, Bigred3588 said:

46pts in 3qs against Southport with Scruggs and Brunk in the semi state as a SO... 44pts against Castle in the Regional final against Nunge and Hemingway last year. Yeah.. he has plenty of fire. 

8 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Have to agree. Just look at their bodies. EJ was a man his freshman year at IU. Romeo is still scrawny. 

Exactly. Gordon was built like a 30 year old before he even graduated high school. Just all-around dominant whether you’re talking skills or tools. I think people forget that he was one of those guys regarded by many as a generational talent.

I’m not knocking Langford in any way. I’d love to have him and think he has the potential to be an NBA all-star some day. I just don’t want our fans to blow things out of proportion.

2 minutes ago, Bigred3588 said:

Exactly. Gordon was built like a 30 year old before he even graduated high school. Just all-around dominant whether you’re talking skills or tools. I think people forget that he was one of those guys regarded by many as a generational talent.

I’m not knocking Langford in any way. I’d love to have him and think he has the potential to be an NBA all-star some day. I just don’t want our fans to blow things out of proportion.

They aren't lol Langford is better. 

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

46pts in 3qs against Southport with Scruggs and Brunk in the semi state as a SO... 44pts against Castle in the Regional final against Nunge and Hemingway last year. Yeah.. he has plenty of fire. 

I’m not questioning his ability to put the ball in the basket at all. No doubt the kid can put up points. But being able to score and playing with fire are two different things. AJ Moye didn’t drop 40 against Duke, but his fire did as much, if not more, to win that game as 40 would have.

2 minutes ago, Bigred3588 said:

I’m not questioning his ability to put the ball in the basket at all. No doubt the kid can put up points. But being able to score and playing with fire are two different things. AJ Moye didn’t drop 40 against Duke, but his fire did as much, if not more, to win that game as 40 would have.

Gordon shows no emotion either. So there is nothing to compare there. 

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

They aren't lol Langford is better. 

We’re going to have to agree to disagree on this one. You’re about my age, so you probably remember the televised North Central/Loyola Chicago game back in the day. Gordon didn’t have much of a team around him and Loyola was nationally ranked. Gordon dropped 44 on MJs sons and pretty much single handedly blew Loyola’s doors off. That’s the kind of player Gordon was. He went on to take that team to the championship and lost to a very talented East Chicago team with Angel Garcia and Etwaun Moore in the backcourt. To this day, that Loyola game was the best performance I’ve seen in a HS game.

Just now, Bigred3588 said:

We’re going to have to agree to disagree on this one. You’re about my age, so you probably remember the televised North Central/Loyola Chicago game back in the day. Gordon didn’t have much of a team around him and Loyola was nationally ranked. Gordon dropped 44 on MJs sons and pretty much single handedly blew Loyola’s doors off. That’s the kind of player Gordon was. He went on to take that team to the championship and lost to a very talented East Chicago team with Angel Garcia and Etwaun Moore in the backcourt. To this day, that Loyola game was the best performance I’ve seen in a HS game.

I watched it. Gordon is/was a big time scorer. I told you for one bucket I'd take EJ.. for everything else I would take Romeo. How many times have you seen Romeo play in person or on TV? Like not highlights 

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

I watched it. Gordon is/was a big time scorer. I told you for one bucket I'd take EJ.. for everything else I would take Romeo. How many times have you seen Romeo play in person or on TV? Like not highlights 

Damn are you on a computer lol. I’m on my phone and can’t keep up. Never seen him in person; I live in South Florida. I’ve streamed a few games and tracked down a few full games online. I definitely saw more of Gordon’s games in person.

10 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Shewwwww. I think you're letting your closeness to EJ greatly cloud your judgement. 

I’m just going off what I saw. Saw him play against Hill, McRoberts, Oden, Conley, Carney, Rose, Teague... All in organized school games, not just run-n-gun AAU matchups. If you’re right and Langford is the better player...well...we should be expecting a run at the title next year because that would put Langford in his own category; because Gordon was top-tier in HS at his position.

To be fair, I will say Oden was the most dominant of that group. He was a freak.

21 minutes ago, Bigred3588 said:

Damn are you on a computer lol. I’m on my phone and can’t keep up. Never seen him in person; I live in South Florida. I’ve streamed a few games and tracked down a few full games online. I definitely saw more of Gordon’s games in person.

I think you would feel different if you were able to see him more.

1 hour ago, Bigred3588 said:

BTown summed it up well, but I'm not sure what EJ being stronger matters? Romeo is longer and equally athletic; he certainly isn't weak. 

I don't think you'd be doing poorly to have either on your team but the Romeo is absolutely ready to come in and play at a high level. 

1 hour ago, Bigred3588 said:

And is not an age thing, it's human nature to romanticize our adolescence. Almost everyone does it in some form or fashion. 

16 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

BTown summed it up well, but I'm not sure what EJ being stronger matters? Romeo is longer and equally athletic; he certainly isn't weak. 

I don't think you'd be doing poorly to have either on your team but the Romeo is absolutely ready to come in and play at a high level. 

I agree that he can come in and play at a high level. I just don’t think we should expect Romeo/Juwan to be like Gordon/White.

But, like I’ve been saying, I hope we land Langford and would be more than happy to eat crow if I’m wrong.

18 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Yeah, I don't understand what Gordon's body has to do with it? Yes, his power is a huge asset for him, but that power isn't a requirement to being a great player. It helped him, but from everything I've heard/read Langford is more of a smooth, longer, athlete, which comes with huge benefits as well. 

7 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

And is not an age thing, it's human nature to romanticize our adolescence. Almost everyone does it in some form or fashion. 

Well yeah, I enjoyed my adolescence. But I don’t think it’s affecting my knowledge of a game I’ve played and watched my entire life.

1 minute ago, Bigred3588 said:

Well yeah, I enjoyed my adolescence. But I don’t think it’s affecting my knowledge of a game I’ve played and watched my entire life.

It impacts your perception of a guy who played in high school ten years ago when you were in high school. It's why old basketball players swear today's players couldn't compete with them. It's why for many high school romance has a special place in their heart. 

It's really normal and psychologically factual that humans do this. It's not too different than feelings of nostalgia. 

46 minutes ago, Bigred3588 said:

I’m just going off what I saw. Saw him play against Hill, McRoberts, Oden, Conley, Carney, Rose, Teague... All in organized school games, not just run-n-gun AAU matchups. If you’re right and Langford is the better player...well...we should be expecting a run at the title next year because that would put Langford in his own category; because Gordon was top-tier in HS at his position.

To be fair, I will say Oden was the most dominant of that group. He was a freak.

I am 47 years old and have seen both play many times and to me Eric Gordon is better than Romeo.

Archived