Romeo Langford

4 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

Out of curiosity I looked up on ESPN and 247 as far back as they ranked the best players in each state....since 2003 (15 years) IU has only landed the highest rated player in the state twice....let that sink in.....AJ Ratliff in 2004 and Eric Gordon in 2007. Landing Romeo would be monumental in itself but landing the top 3 rated players hasn't happened in the modern age of recruiting. Just thought that was interesting. 

Crean and Davis were horrible at recruiting the state. I really believe Archie is going to change that.

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was Cody Zeller not the top player coming out in 2011??? If not, who? Teague? 

I mean, clearly people, mainly recruiting analysts thought that Teague should be rated higher. However, I don’t know of anyone who actually thought he was a better player than Cody.

One of them is currently in an NBA rotation and the other hasn’t been heard of in recent memory.

9 minutes ago, Danomatic said:

I mean, clearly people, mainly recruiting analysts thought that Teague should be rated higher. However, I don’t know of anyone who actually thought he was a better player than Cody.

One of them is currently in an NBA rotation and the other hasn’t been heard of in recent memory.

Yogi wasn't a bad consolation prize for not getting Harris either. Using Ratliff as example, sometimes landing the top player in the state is not all that it is cracked up to be. 

13 minutes ago, Danomatic said:

JTeague was in the same 2007 class as Eric Gordon.  Teague was ranked #57 nationally, 3rd in Indiana and a 4 star, attending Wake Forest

I wonder how much if any Romeo will guard Bazley for Princeton.  Bazley is 6'7 but they weigh about the same.  Princeton does have a pretty good  shooting guard in Darweshi Hunter, but he is no where near the player as Bazley who is the #9 in the nation.  If you are physical with Bazley he can have some problems which Jerome Hunter did last week in their matchup.

52 minutes ago, bstall76 said:

I wonder how much if any Romeo will guard Bazley for Princeton.  Bazley is 6'7 but they weigh about the same.  Princeton does have a pretty good  shooting guard in Darweshi Hunter, but he is no where near the player as Bazley who is the #9 in the nation.  If you are physical with Bazley he can have some problems which Jerome Hunter did last week in their matchup.

This is partly why I've been posting so much lately about Romeo also being part of a great class at IU. Vandy and Kansas get all the pub in terms of that point in Langford's recruiting, but I think IU's class is being undersold. You bring up Bazely and Hunter. Bazely is #9 in the country and a McDonald's AA, yet Hunter completely outplayed him last week. From what I read, Hunter defended Bazely and pretty much shut him down. 

I've pretty much been wrong this entire recruitment, so there's that, but the more and more I follow it and look at the teams, schools, recruiting classes, coaches, etc., I just don't see how IU isn't the clear front runner? Looking through my IU-colored glasses of course, but IU just makes SO much sense for Langford IMO. 

15 minutes ago, BGleas said:

This is partly why I've been posting so much lately about Romeo also being part of a great class at IU. Vandy and Kansas get all the pub in terms of that point in Langford's recruiting, but I think IU's class is being undersold. You bring up Bazely and Hunter. Bazely is #9 in the country and a McDonald's AA, yet Hunter completely outplayed him last week. From what I read, Hunter defended Bazely and pretty much shut him down. 

I've pretty much been wrong this entire recruitment, so there's that, but the more and more I follow it and look at the teams, schools, recruiting classes, coaches, etc., I just don't see how IU isn't the clear front runner? Looking through my IU-colored glasses of course, but IU just makes SO much sense for Langford IMO. 

I have felt this way since HH but knowing my luck that means he's going to go to Western Kentucky 

13 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I think in regards to the strength of the incoming classes at Kansas, Vandy, and IU, perception is reality for a lot of these recruits.  Hunter may actually be a better player than Bazley, but Bazley has the higher ranking, and he’s a McDonald’s AA.  I think it’s a status thing for these guys.  They want to be playing with “5 star” “All American” recruits, and players that aren’t in this exclusive club are lower in the hierarchy.  

Just look at what happened with Shareef O’Neal recently.  He’s the 32nd ranked player in the class, and he didn’t make the McDonald’s All American game.  You wouldn’t think it would be that big of a deal to him, but then you have players like Lebron and Matt Barnes making public statements about how much of a travesty it was that he was left off the team.  The rankings and public accolades are a big deal to these kids, maybe even bigger than how the classes are actually balanced and complement each other.

7 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I think in regards to the strength of the incoming classes at Kansas, Vandy, and IU, perception is reality for a lot of these recruits.  Hunter may actually be a better player than Bazley, but Bazley has the higher ranking, and he’s a McDonald’s AA.  I think it’s a status thing for these guys.  They want to be playing with “5 star” “All American” recruits, and players that aren’t in this exclusive club are lower in the hierarchy.  

Just look at what happened with Shareef O’Neal recently.  He’s the 32nd ranked player in the class, and he didn’t make the McDonald’s All American game.  You wouldn’t think it would be that big of a deal to him, but then you have players like Lebron and Matt Barnes making public statements about how much of a travesty it was that he was left off the team.  The rankings and public accolades are a big deal to these kids, maybe even bigger than how the classes are actually balanced and complement each other.

Completely agree. If Langford chooses Vandy or Kansas the media will fawn all over themselves about the classes those schools have. If he chooses IU all you'll hear about is Langford, even when as you said Hunter may very well end up better than many of the McDonald's AA's and Phinisee could very well end up a top 5ish point guard in this class when his career is over. 

But as you said, perception is reality. 

1 hour ago, bstall76 said:

Romeo is 6'5-6'6.. NA only has Hunter as the other possibility of guarding Bazley. The only way Romeo won't guard Bazley is if they don't have any inside presence at all, so then Hunter could guard Bazley. 

Romeo is will play the 2 in the NBA and the wing position in college. But in HS, Shannon uses him wherever they see fit... against Castle last season he was their PG, then on the other end he guard 6'11 Nunge. 

Hey everyone. Have not chimed in lately, but I have been checking in. I have been really happy with the improvement, except the two losses which I can forgive the first being a complete new system, but not the one to Fort Wayne. It is nice to see real coaching and the improvement of a team. Especially on defense, what an incredible fresh breath of air. Defense always travels.

Ok, enough with my thoughts. Question about Romeo. I read all the time about Romeo talking about Garland recruiting him, or the kid from Kansas I believe, but my question is would Phinese not be closer to him. It seems like they know each other pretty well. They were sitting together at the game last week. Although we don't hear about it, or not much, would his relationship allow him to help with the recruitment? Would he like to play ball with him? Thanks for the thoughts! Go Hoosiers!

33 minutes ago, Iuprof said:

Hey everyone. Have not chimed in lately, but I have been checking in. I have been really happy with the improvement, except the two losses which I can forgive the first being a complete new system, but not the one to Fort Wayne. It is nice to see real coaching and the improvement of a team. Especially on defense, what an incredible fresh breath of air. Defense always travels.

Ok, enough with my thoughts. Question about Romeo. I read all the time about Romeo talking about Garland recruiting him, or the kid from Kansas I believe, but my question is would Phinese not be closer to him. It seems like they know each other pretty well. They were sitting together at the game last week. Although we don't hear about it, or not much, would his relationship allow him to help with the recruitment? Would he like to play ball with him? Thanks for the thoughts! Go Hoosiers!

I think Phinisee and Romeo talk about teaming up.. Rob recently congratulated him on becoming an McDonald's All--American on Twitter. They're friends, and not that it means anything but Romeo recently liked a tweet from someone stating Rob was just as capable of being his PG as Darius Garland and to join the Hoosiers. Doesn't mean anything, but I think they'd be awesome together.

3 hours ago, BGleas said:

I agree, I find it totally laughable that there are 25 PG's better than RP.  I heard from people around the district they were impressed with Hunter, they knew he could score, but did not think he would bother Darius so much defensively.  Bazley still ended up with I think 14 rebounds.  He impacts the game in a lot of ways.

Just got a text from my sister that is in the gym right now for the game. She sent a picture of Coach Drew. She said there are a lot of IU fans in the building as well. She hasn't heard anything about a possible announcement from Romeo yet. So if he is planning on doing it, he has kept it very quiet. 

2 minutes ago, DunkinDipo said:

Just got a text from my sister that is in the gym right now for the game. She sent a picture of Coach Drew. She said there are a lot of IU fans in the building as well. She hasn't heard anything about a possible announcement from Romeo yet. So if he is planning on doing it, he has kept it very quiet. 

Romeo already shot that rumor down when he talked to RabJohn's the other day and said in he is not announcing anything.

Archived