Romeo Langford

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Let me preface this with, who am I to tell a kid I've never met and know nothing about (other than he's good at basketball) where he should go to school. Langford should do this on whatever timeline suits him and choose wherever he wants. 

With that said, and through my IU-colored glasses, I don't see why IU shouldn't be the obvious choice?

As has been mentioned, Vandy is Vandy. I just don't get it. They have two other 5*'s which is appealing and apparently Garland and Langford are friends of some sort, but I just don't see the appeal beyond that. Bad arena, no fan support, terrible team, no tradition, unproven coach, etc., etc. 

Kansas is clearly really appealing. They're a blue blood with a successful coach, great facilities, an amazing fan base, the program has experience with 1 and 2 and done players, etc. But, they also have tons of talent to compete with for time/opportunity, and the big red flag is that the Langord's seem to want to avoid NCAA impropriety and while Kansas hasn't been accused of anything in the FBI case, they currently have a top ranked player suspended because of an investigation into the fact that he claims to own a Lamborghini. It's also not the first time they've had top recruits have to miss time because of NCAA issues. Self even had to skip a meeting with Langford to attend to Preston/investigation issue. 

Then you have IU. The clear negatives are a new coach who he's had to build a new relationship with, and a poor start to this season (though that should be expected to an extent with a new coach). Outside of that, you have tradition, potential for legendary, hometown status, a glaring hole at his position and for what his talent brings (wing/backcourt scorer), amazing facilities, amazing fanbase, a really strong recruiting class coming in, and potentially (if Morgan is back) a really strong, experienced returning cast with a leader (again Morgan) at a different position.

It just seems so clear to me. Caveat though, I am leaving out a lot of personal preference things like major he wants, preference over the type of school (country, city, etc.) he prefers, and those types of things which come into play. 

You hit the nail on its head. Great post. 

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

I feel like, if his decision was based on most boisterous fan base, it would already be over. 

Well... I feel like the fact that I and some of my friends showed up for De'Ron Davis's games.... wearing IU gear did not hurt.  I know he saw us, in the stands. And his mom, and her friends, talked to us too. Certainly it should not be the deciding factor, but as I say, it can't hurt. 

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

Well... I feel like the fact that I and some of my friends showed up for De'Ron Davis's games.... wearing IU gear did not hurt.  I know he saw us, in the stands. And his mom, and her friends, talked to us too. Certainly it should not be the deciding factor, but as I say, it can't hurt. 

I will admit that seeing IU gear at a High School basketball game in Colorado would have to have some sort of impact.

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

There's literally 100s of ppl in IU gear in each game he plays in. 

3 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

I will admit that seeing IU gear at a High School basketball game in Colorado would have to have some sort of impact.

And.... we went not only to his home games.... but also to many of his road games.  Got to the point that many of his Overland fans ( his school)... recognized us... and would engage us in conversations.

6 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

And.... we went not only to his home games.... but also to many of his road games.  Got to the point that many of his Overland fans ( his school)... recognized us... and would engage us in conversations.

There might be more IU fans at his away games than his home games. 

9 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Maybe you should come to New Albany for the rest of the season and work some more magic ..lol

Hoping the "sea of red" contains hundreds of IU crimson sweatshirts and gear, in addition to NA red.   How about an "Indiana" chant  when Bryce and the gang of thieves show up.  Oh,  and then let's hear about 4 or 5 more Indiana chants during the game.  Get off our lawn, Bryce!

8 hours ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Yeah that's what I figured. Did your source give a reason behind the jump? Seems strange that IU would have re-entered the mix out of nowhere. But it does coincide with better play on the court.

The assumption that IU was out of the mix was a false one to begin with.  

Out of curiosity I looked up on ESPN and 247 as far back as they ranked the best players in each state....since 2003 (15 years) IU has only landed the highest rated player in the state twice....let that sink in.....AJ Ratliff in 2004 and Eric Gordon in 2007. Landing Romeo would be monumental in itself but landing the top 3 rated players hasn't happened in the modern age of recruiting. Just thought that was interesting. 

Archived