MLB discussion

rico

10 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

Cubs have scored 1 run in 5 straight games. All 5 runs are from solo home runs. That has to be a record.

I decided last night I'm no longer going to be frustrated and negative with this team anymore. Been doing it for 2-3 months and it's taxing. So normally I would say what an embarrassment these guys should feel because it's not like they are facing ace starters....but since I'm being positive i won't say how bad this lineup is right now. 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I decided last night I'm no longer going to be frustrated and negative with this team anymore. Been doing it for 2-3 months and it's taxing. So normally I would say what an embarrassment these guys should feel because it's not like they are facing ace starters....but since I'm being positive i won't say how bad this lineup is right now. 

As long as the pitching keeps this up I think the hitting will come around.  More importantly the Cubs need timely hitting.  But look on the bright side, you are still in 1st.

2 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

Murphy has always seemed like he'd be a decent clubhouse guy too.  Maybe a fresh face who swings a consistent bat will help change the current up and down nature of the Cubs a bit.

I still don't understand the trade.  But Murphy is a bona fide bat for sure.  Hope he continues it with the Cubs and he has plenty of play-off experience.  I still think Russell is on his way out.  

On 8/22/2018 at 1:59 PM, KoB2011 said:

Murphy can also play third, which is huge given the health of Bryant. That was a major addition for the Cubs and I'd expect Murphy to play every day one way or the other. 

Sure he can “play” third but is that ideal defensively? It’s like saying Matt Carpenter can play 3rd. Sure, but your defense will suffer. 

30 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I know there’s still plenty of season left and things can change but it’s crazy to think where the Cardinals are now relative to where they were at the All-Star break. Especially when you realize that 4/5 of their rotation started the year in Memphis. 

Or one could say whoever is in charge of evaluating talent at the big league level sucks. Maybe they should have been up sooner? Just a thought. 

7 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Yeah that’s a good point too. Getting rid of Matheny was a huge step forward. 

Agree. I was a Matheny fan as a player (even as a Cubs fan) but that doesn't always translate. That whole organization needed and still needs an F5. New approach, new ideas...just my 2 cents.

11 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Agree. I was a Matheny fan as a player (even as a Cubs fan) but that doesn't always translate. That whole organization needed and still needs an F5. New approach, new ideas...just my 2 cents.

I loved him as a player too. Still can’t believe he got the job in the first place. You have a HOF manager retire after an amazing WS title and turn over the keys to a guy with 0 managerial experience? I feel like they could’ve had Maddon or Francona. 

7 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I loved him as a player too. Still can’t believe he got the job in the first place. You have a HOF manager retire after an amazing WS title and turn over the keys to a guy with 0 managerial experience? I feel like they could’ve had Maddon or Francona. 

Kind of like a program turning over the keys to a guy who has been an assistant his entire life. Haha. Knight-Davis. 

12 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Well he had an overall record that was 591-474 which equates to a winning percentage of .555 in a little over 6 1/2 years.  Looks to me like he was just fine as the Cards skipper.  Rigid or not, he was a winner and is already receiving phone calls from prospective employers.

6 hours ago, rico said:

Well he had an overall record that was 591-474 which equates to a winning percentage of .555 in a little over 6 1/2 years.  Looks to me like he was just fine as the Cards skipper.  Rigid or not, he was a winner and is already receiving phone calls from prospective employers.

Just fine? He was about to miss the playoffs for the 3rd year in a row. That’s a pretty good way to lose your job if you’re managing the cardinals. The guy couldn’t manage a bullpen, he would use guys too much to the point where they’d break down, and he’d stick with veterans way too long even after it was obvious they weren’t effective. I’m sure some other team will give him a chance but if you happen to be a fan of that team, my advice is to prepare to be let down. The guy doesn’t have it. He never should’ve been hired in the first place. 

Matheny mismanages his bullpen as well as anyone. Change was needed in my opinion. Cubs are dominating the division and if the Cardinals want to have a chance at a division title in the next 4-5 years....Mike had to go. Problem now is Shildt has done such a good job...do you not pursue Girardi?

1 hour ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Just fine? He was about to miss the playoffs for the 3rd year in a row. That’s a pretty good way to lose your job if you’re managing the cardinals. The guy couldn’t manage a bullpen, he would use guys too much to the point where they’d break down, and he’d stick with veterans way too long even after it was obvious they weren’t effective. I’m sure some other team will give him a chance but if you happen to be a fan of that team, my advice is to prepare to be let down. The guy doesn’t have it. He never should’ve been hired in the first place. 

You wouldn't have made it in the 70's.

5 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Matheny mismanages his bullpen as well as anyone. Change was needed in my opinion. Cubs are dominating the division and if the Cardinals want to have a chance at a division title in the next 4-5 years....Mike had to go. Problem now is Shildt has done such a good job...do you not pursue Girardi?

I’d be okay with giving the job to Shildt honestly. 

27 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

No. Give me Mike Shildt all day long. Guy is tough! 

4 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

Impressive run no doubt....but the feel good stuff of how they are playing now has to be balanced vs long term success. I'll say it again. IU gave Davis a contract because of one tourney run. All based on short term thinking. Trust me...I'd love for Girardi not to be in that dugout...as a Cubs fan.

6 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

Exactly. And unlike Matheny, he paid his dues and worked his way up through the ranks. The guy is smart and actually seeks advice from his other coaches. Matheny made all the decisions on his own without input from others. Way too stubborn and rigid. 

Archived