MLB discussion

rico

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

I don't follow the NL, but for you NL guys, the AL has at least 3 teams in the playoffs with at least 100 W's......

I believe that can be attributed to better balance in the NL.  The AL has two teams with over 100 losses.  In fact one with 115 losses.  While the NL will finish the year with no team having 100 or more losses. 

1 minute ago, milehiiu said:

I believe that can be attributed to better balance in the NL.  The AL has two teams with over 100 losses.  In fact one with 115 losses.  While the NL will finish the year with no team having 100 or more losses. 

Touché..... The O's were horrible this year. But yet, the Yankees had trouble against them for whatever reason. If the Yanks had taken care of the cellar dwellers, things could have been different in the AL East.

1 hour ago, rico said:

I will give you those two, but you left out Arenado?

Arenado is being considered. I am pleased that you recognize that. Also in consideration is  Trevor Story. Both guys don't get the press they deserve, probably because as the story linked below,  alludes to as not playing much on   the East Coast.

A lot of their games, especially, when the Rox are playing in Cali, start and end very late for East Coasters

Trevor Story deserves the NL MVP | Mile High Sports

11 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Touché..... The O's were horrible this year. But yet, the Yankees had trouble against them for whatever reason. If the Yanks had taken care of the cellar dwellers, things could have been different in the AL East.

Here's how each team has done against every team in baseball this year.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/standings/grid

1 hour ago, rico said:

I will give you those two, but you left out Arenado?

Yes, I did, but I did consider him.  He probably should have won one already but had some bad luck.  I left him out for several reasons.  He plays for Colorado.  Although his batting  numbers compare well to Baez and Yelich, he's not a 5 tool guy (his fielding and running are good but don't put him in 5 tool range).  Colorado won't win the NL Central giving them the best record in the NL.  Did I say that he plays for Colorado?  As you said this is likely to be very close MVP as no one player really stands out; thus, some of the more peripheral things will come into plays such as who won the NL (best record) and how well-rounded their game is.

22 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

Hilarious watching the Cardinals fall apart this week. ESPN gave them an 86% chance of making the playoffs Sunday evening. A team that so often prospered off the late-season misfortunes of others finally got a taste of its own medicine.

The cardinals were dead in the water at the all-star break and went on a tear in August.  Their roster is awful and not one of a playoff contender.  It’s a shock they even had a chance to make the playoffs with a week to go. I’ll assume you’re either a cubs fan or a reds fan. Would love to hear more on the “prosper off the late season misfortune of others” comment though. 

18 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

The cardinals were dead in the water at the all-star break and went on a tear in August.  Their roster is awful and not one of a playoff contender.  It’s a shock they even had a chance to make the playoffs with a week to go. I’ll assume you’re either a cubs fan or a reds fan. Would love to hear more on the “prosper off the late season misfortune of others” comment though. 

Cards suck.....from a Reds fan.  But we suck a lot more.

9 hours ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

The Yanks could have swept the O's and still finished a game behind the Red Sox, even with the Sox resting guys down the stretch. 

53 minutes ago, slojoe said:

My Cubs lost 3-1.  It wasn't that close. 

Brewers GM made some great moves last winter and this season.  The most important being Cain and Yelich.

We may play HTD's Dodgers.

39 times this year Cubs scored 1 or 0 runs. Only the Orioles with 40 beat us. People can bang on bullpen all they want. The reason we are in the playoffs as a wildcard is because of the bats. Like Joe says though...lose for 30 minutes and see what we got tomorrow.

7 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

39 times this year Cubs scored 1 or 0 runs. Only the Orioles with 40 beat us. People can bang on bullpen all they want. The reason we are in the playoffs as a wildcard is because of the bats. Like Joe says though...lose for 30 minutes and see what we got tomorrow.

Yes, they've been feast or famine at the plate this year.  When they've scored, they've scored  a lot.

Year    Runs Scored

2015   689

2016  808

2017  822

2018  760

I think the hitting really tailed off after the All-Star break, but I don't have any stats to give.

The bullpen was supposed to have been the weakness starting the year, but they've really done well.  Losing Morrow and Stop really hurts now.  Edwards is a head case right now after being lights out to begin the year.

1 hour ago, slojoe said:

Yes, they've been feast or famine at the plate this year.  When they've scored, they've scored  a lot.

Year    Runs Scored

2015   689

2016  808

2017  822

2018  760

I think the hitting really tailed off after the All-Star break, but I don't have any stats to give.

The bullpen was supposed to have been the weakness starting the year, but they've really done well.  Losing Morrow and Stop really hurts now.  Edwards is a head case right now after being lights out to begin the year.

Given the injuries...pitching hasn't been the issue. That's why I laugh when people say do you really think we should go after Bryce Harper in the offseason because of his contract.....I say yes in 2.2 seconds. We need more hitters and some of the guys we do have Happ, Almora, Russell, even Schwarber....can be traded for upgrades in pen or another starter. 

I want KS to be a Cub forever..but not in a 105 game per year role where trading him gets him more playing time...and we get help too. I'm not all the way there yet on him (I am on others).

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Given the injuries...pitching hasn't been the issue. That's why I laugh when people say do you really think we should go after Bryce Harper in the offseason because of his contract.....I say yes in 2.2 seconds. We need more hitters and some of the guys we do have Happ, Almora, Russell, even Schwarber....can be traded for upgrades in pen or another starter. 

I want KS to be a Cub forever..but not in a 105 game per year role where trading him gets him more playing time...and we get help too. I'm not all the way there yet on him (I am on others).

Schwarber actually started 114 games in left field (5th most in NL) including 6 starts at DH for a total of 120.  His advanced defensive metrics this year were actually pretty decent.  I'm willing to give him another year or two because if he does start to hit like he's capable of, he could be the middle of the order bat they need.  He's also only 25.  I think his stock is a little too low right now, but it could skyrocket with a good couple months.

29 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

Schwarber actually started 114 games in left field (5th most in NL) including 6 starts at DH for a total of 120.  His advanced defensive metrics this year were actually pretty decent.  I'm willing to give him another year or two because if he does start to hit like he's capable of, he could be the middle of the order bat they need.  He's also only 25.  I think his stock is a little too low right now, but it could skyrocket with a good couple months.

They don't play him enough.  

8 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

Yep...and he was pulled in 6th or 7th for defense/pinch running or whatever scenario more often than not so that 114 is a little off because he missed so many at bats later in games. My opinion...either play him for 130 real games each year or let's evaluate what our corner positions in the OF are. I love our depth....but we have KS, Happ, Almora, Heyward, Zobrist, Bote....to go along with Harper maybe coming in. Someone has to go and it's not going to be Heyward. To me I start seeing what I can get for Happ and Almora.

38 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Yep...and he was pulled in 6th or 7th for defense/pinch running or whatever scenario more often than not so that 114 is a little off because he missed so many at bats later in games. My opinion...either play him for 130 real games each year or let's evaluate what our corner positions in the OF are. I love our depth....but we have KS, Happ, Almora, Heyward, Zobrist, Bote....to go along with Harper maybe coming in. Someone has to go and it's not going to be Heyward. To me I start seeing what I can get for Happ and Almora.

Happ and Almora are CFs.  If you let go of both or even one, Heyward will be your only other  CF and he's really a RF.  I also have a feeling that Happ is ready to make a big leap at any time.  Almora may already be all he's going to be -- i.e., an outstanding fielding CF, can hit for average (.280 or in .290's), but little HR power.

I really have no idea what the Cubs' contract situation is with their players.  But I do know they have proven commodities that are at the big league level.  Good position to be in and also know they got money.  So I am curious as to how Theo is gonna handle all of this, especially if they get eliminated today.

Archived