MLB discussion

rico

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, rico said:

Hmmmm.  I grew up in the 70's.  My Reds won division titles in '70, '72, '73, '75, '76, and '79.  6 in 10 years is pretty impressive.   2 titles and 2 other appearances in the WS.  To me that is a dynasty that just happened to have some other NL teams in the discussion.  The Pirates and Dodgers.  Now let's look at the Braves.......throw out the strike year , throw out the wild card.  They finished 1st in their division for 14 straight years.  14!!!!!  Ummm they were a dynasty.

Braves-- National League dynasty-yes, without a doubt.

MLB dynasty- - in 14 years they won one championship. In 13 years they weren't good enough. 

Your Reds won two World Championships which is why they are in the discussion.

13 runner ups or less don't make it in my opinion 

4 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Braves-- National League dynasty-yes, without a doubt.

MLB dynasty- - in 14 years they won one championship. In 13 years they weren't good enough. 

Your Reds won two World Championships which is why they are in the discussion.

13 runner ups or less don't make it in my opinion 

Fair enough.

2 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Again, where was he going to play? Carpenter was at first base. Voit would’ve been a pinch hitter. 

Pitiful argument.  If a player is good you find a place for him or trade him for viable commodities.  Not 2 bags of peanuts.

2 hours ago, rico said:

Pitiful argument.  If a player is good you find a place for him or trade him for viable commodities.  Not 2 bags of peanuts.

They probably thought they’d get more out of Shreve than they did. And no, you don’t just find a place for him. Voit can play 1B or DH which isn’t an option in the NL. Carpenter plays 1st so unless Carp had the day off, Voit wasn’t playing. It’s not a pitiful argument at all. 

4 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

They probably thought they’d get more out of Shreve than they did. And no, you don’t just find a place for him. Voit can play 1B or DH which isn’t an option in the NL. Carpenter plays 1st so unless Carp had the day off, Voit wasn’t playing. It’s not a pitiful argument at all. 

The Yankees have played him in the OF?  

17 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Having a good GM and scouting department is also fun. Cards should try it.

They goofed on Volt, but IMO, they've made way more good calls than bad (see Pujols, Albert).  At one point 3-4 years ago I saw them ranked 2nd to the (gag) Patriots in getting the most out of the salaries they were paying.  They were about $30 million below the Cubs in 2018 but the most striking thing about 2018 payroll is that Milwaukee was barely over half of what the Cubs paid.  The Cubs actually have a higher payroll than the Yankees but no surprise, the Red Sox have the biggest payroll by far.

Based on the sheer numbers, I'm most impressed by what Milwaukee is doing.  The NL Central will likely be a meat grinder of a division for years.

Yank fans are very glad we got Voit! He's playing 1st base because the guy that is supposed to play there, sucks big time offensively.

The team did hit 2 HR last night and Voits shot was very close to going over as he thought it was gone. Happy to see court was in session for Judge last night as he hit a monster shot in the very first inning.

Should be a good series coming up with the Sawks., just no reoccurrence of '04 uggghhh.......

4 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I’m seeing he played a grand total of 2 innings in the outfield for them so no he can’t really play any position besides DH or 1B. 

ya know I like ya.  As a Reds fan I know all to well that bad trades happen.  Cincy has had their fair share.  Of course I hate the Cards......but what if that trade turns into something on the Bagwell level?

11 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Aydens elementary school had Pioneer Days today and he did not want to go all out for it so he wore his Coonskin cap with an Aaron Judge jersey and explained baseball has been around forever so it counts as Pioneer

He should have said that Davy Crockett and Daniel Boone were Yankee fans!!!!!!!

Archived