MLB discussion

rico

9 minutes ago, rico said:

Harvey was a proven commodity......now he is trying to resurrect his career.  He ain't one of the Reds young pitchers.

Well aware of who he is. They are auditioning his comeback. Showing that he actually still cares about baseball vs hanging out multiple clubs/bars every night of the week while pitching for the Mets. Even on nights before he started he would be out all night. If I were the Reds I would have already traded him.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

Well aware of who he is. They are auditioning his comeback. Showing that he actually still cares about baseball vs hanging out multiple clubs/bars every night of the week while pitching for the Mets. Even on nights before he started he would be out all night. If I were the Reds I would have already traded him.

Well the trading ship has sailed already.  And yes I would have traded him already.....but they didn't.  Use and abuse him, see what he's got.

3 hours ago, rico said:

Well the trading ship has sailed already.  And yes I would have traded him already.....but they didn't.  Use and abuse him, see what he's got.

I mean like what the White Sox did last off season. They took a chance thinking value of certain players would get them more in winter vs trading deadline. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't.

12 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Your team is a 150 games out of first. No chance of anything. They got their 90 pitches in...and just a guess they are looking at relievers for next year and beyond. Every game is an audition for almost everyone on the roster.

This season should have been about trying to get their young pitchers to develop and let them work through adversity.  I would disagree with yu about the Reds every day 8 players because they are pretty good and the main difference is pitching.  Also teams like the Cubs can have good veteran players coming off the bench where teams like the Reds have unproven young players coming off the bench.  We took two starters out yesterday and played young guys in Herrea and Dixon who both are young and hitting under .200.  The Cubs have as much talent coming off the bench today than a lot of teams regulars like Swrarber, Heyward, Zobrist and Rizzo

5 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I mean like what the White Sox did last off season. They took a chance thinking value of certain players would get them more in winter vs trading deadline. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't.

But Harvey is a FA?  Use and abuse him.  The odds say he ain't coming back anyway.

4 hours ago, IU Scott said:

This season should have been about trying to get their young pitchers to develop and let them work through adversity.  I would disagree with yu about the Reds every day 8 players because they are pretty good and the main difference is pitching.  Also teams like the Cubs can have good veteran players coming off the bench where teams like the Reds have unproven young players coming off the bench.  We took two starters out yesterday and played young guys in Herrea and Dixon who both are young and hitting under .200.  The Cubs have as much talent coming off the bench today than a lot of teams regulars like Swrarber, Heyward, Zobrist and Rizzo

Amen, if the Reds had any semblance of pitching they would be a .500 club.  

I was checking out the Reds site that I visit.  And found something priceless for us Cincy fans that have been suffering.  I give credit to the poster who goes by the handle of membengal..........

Hello darkness my old friend 
I’ve come to talk with you again 
Another 90+ loss season is here 
And the lack of plans remains quite clear
And the memories, of an ownership that cares, fade away
Within the sound of silence.

In restless dreams I walked to the fray
at 100 Joe Nuxhall Way
Neath the halo of the Reds’ hall of fame lamps 
I turned my collar to the cold and damp,
When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of another opposing home run,
that yet again marred the fun
and touched the sound of silence.

And in the naked light I saw
2000 people give or take 
People sitting without cheering
People flinching to “golly day” bleating 
People voicing concerns that ownership thinks not fair
And John Fay dared not 
disturb the sound of silence.

Fools, said I, you do not know,
Silence like a cancer grows.
The incompetence should teach you
The losing should reach you
But the losses, like silent raindrops fell, 
and echoed in the wells of silence.

And the people bowed and prayed,
to the memories in the Reds’ hall of fame 
And the memories flashed out this warning,
And the words the memories were forming,
Said the way forward lies in a front office overhaul
Or the Reds will continue to cast a pall
In the sounds of silence.

1 hour ago, rico said:

Wow, the Brewers are only 1/2 GB of the Cubs as are the Rockies from the Dodgers.  BTW, the Rocks leap frogged the Cards for the WC.

I love my Cubs but what a frustrating season. And yes...I understand we have the best record in NL....but so many layers of frustration with injuries, inconsistency in run production...more injuries. We'll see how it ends I guess.

17 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I love my Cubs but what a frustrating season. And yes...I understand we have the best record in NL....but so many layers of frustration with injuries, inconsistency in run production...more injuries. We'll see how it ends I guess.

They are still not guaranteed a play-off spot right now.  Wow.

Just now, Billingsley99 said:

I despise the Cards but being a Reds fan i root for the divison, maybe seeing 3 teams from the Central would make the Reds front office try something maybe. 

IMO, ain't gonna happen for the Reds.  More years of futility are coming.  Sigh.

There are a few nice pieces for the Reds...but given what they are up against in the division, smaller payroll,etc....I just don't realistically see them getting to even .500 anytime in the next few years. Which stinks actually. Cubs fan first. But whenever we came down from Chicago to Indy....we would always go over to Cincy and see the Reds play. Great baseball town. Deserves better. 

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

There are a few nice pieces for the Reds...but given what they are up against in the division, smaller payroll,etc....I just don't realistically see them getting to even .500 anytime in the next few years. Which stinks actually. Cubs fan first. But whenever we came down from Chicago to Indy....we would always go over to Cincy and see the Reds play. Great baseball town. Deserves better. 

They deserve a new owner.  But you are spot on with everything you said.  Trading Cueto and Leake were huge mistakes.  Chapman was a huge mistake as far as not letting him start.  The list is endless.  The problem really ain't their position players, it is pitching.  Pitiful, I jsmh.  I am heading over to the stress thread now after posting that.

16 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Exactly. Did SI  predict the Reds to win it all in 2020? Hope that guys job not on the line.  Playoff baseball in Cincy is so much fun

1 minute ago, Billingsley99 said:

Exactly. Did SI  predict the Reds to win it all in 2020? Hope that guys job not on the line.  Playoff baseball in Cincy is so much fun

Well the Reds farm system is stacked.  A few of the young guys have made it up.  Mostly pitchers that appear not to be ready.  But the fact is the NL Central is tough.  The odds say that 4 of the 5 will finish above .500 with 3 being in the play-off hunt.  The Reds would probably be an above .500 team in the AL Central or the NL East.  And the teams in the NL Central are built for the future.  

7 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

No worries guys. The cardinals are choking away their playoff berth. Had a chance to tie the game tonight but the cardinal guy literally fell down while trying to score between 3rd and Home. 

It doesn't get any easier for the Cards.  They finish with the Cubs.  

8 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

No worries guys. The cardinals are choking away their playoff berth. Had a chance to tie the game tonight but the cardinal guy literally fell down while trying to score between 3rd and Home. 

I think we discussed in this thread last month....but from what I've watched over the last couple of weeks is the exact reason I said and still say giving Shildt an extension was a bad move. The same move could have been done the first week of October. Now you've got him locked up for a few years....haha

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I think we discussed in this thread last month....but from what I've watched over the last couple of weeks is the exact reason I said and still say giving Shildt an extension was a bad move. The same move could have been done the first week of October. Now you've got him locked up for a few years....haha

I didn't wanna go there......but yea!!!!!!!!

6 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I just think the roster lacks a lot of talent and switching managers doesn’t change that. They have zero legit middle of the order bat and they are having to rely on so many rookies. 

Archived