Trey Galloway Commits to Indiana

2 hours ago, rbkl said:

Good content rbkl.  Thanks for sharing. 

Regardless of ranking, I haven’t been shy to say that Galloway was the guy I wanted the most (that we have been in on, obviously) in the entire class.  Someone could take a different view and say Love or Davis or somebody “ranked” higher. But my view is that this is the kid we needed the most, which is a different question from who is the most talented or has the most upside.  I only feel stronger about my view, the more I hear about him.  

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, FWIUFan said:

I'm not one to follow recruiting much.  I'm perfectly content to leave that to CAM.  I simply am not impressed with * ratings because they never seem to include the equally important aspects that make a great player such as coachability, character, desire, and mutual respect that is just as necessary when building a culture and playing a team sport.  I personally am too old and have no interest in any social media but realize it is staple with these young mens generation.  Reading about the Tweets from TJD and now TG to other recruits really pleases me on many levels.  It shows they care about more than self.  They truly seem happy to be here to bring IUBB back to it's rightful place of being an perennial BB power.  CTA has taken some snide remarks about his LEO mantra.  However, look at his results and the upward trajectory that IUFB seems to be on under his guidance.  CAM may not call it LEO but to me he seems to be addressing the missing culture piece as well as the talent situation.   All in all I am very hopeful about IU sports in general right now.

Awesome post.

I'm not denying that elite athleticism isn't important to success; however, throughout the season and in the NCAA tournament, we see teams with less talent and better effort and chemistry beat the elite teams.  Ratings of high school players are sketchy at best. Perhaps the top 30 players will go on to make a significant difference with their teams.  Think about players like Galloway and Leal who will probably stay 4 years...these are the difference makers that lead a team far into the NCAA tournament. I'm with FWIUFan: the intangibles and team culture are heading in the right direction and will be critical to the team's return to prominence...not the number of stars behind the recruits name.  CAM will get really good players regardless of how many * are next to their name

25 minutes ago, Hoosierburgh said:

I'm not denying that elite athleticism isn't important to success; however, throughout the season and in the NCAA tournament, we see teams with less talent and better effort and chemistry beat the elite teams.  Ratings of high school players are sketchy at best. Perhaps the top 30 players will go on to make a significant difference with their teams.  Think about players like Galloway and Leal who will probably stay 4 years...these are the difference makers that lead a team far into the NCAA tournament. I'm with FWIUFan: the intangibles and team culture are heading in the right direction and will be critical to the team's return to prominence...not the number of stars behind the recruits name.  CAM will get really good players regardless of how many * are next to their name

I ate at a 5 star restaurant once, wasn't impressed...carry on.

50 minutes ago, Hoosierburgh said:

Good post. Give me a 4 year player, with perhaps less talent than any one and done, any day.  I really think that there is more team cohesiveness when guys know a guy is going to be around for more than one year, than when they are looking at a OAD, knowing the team is going to have to start over again.

1 hour ago, BADGERVOL said:

I consider myself a 5 star lover but I THINK my wife disagrees. She hasn’t admitted it yet tho 🤷🏻‍♂️

Maybe because you confused 5* with 5 minute lover.....I kid I kid! I couldn’t help myself! If your wife even still let’s little badger out of his cage you must be doing something right in my experience lol!

8 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Thanks for the intel, Boiler.   LaLu.... wow.

It sucks if you’re a fan of Indiana high school basketball but I don’t blame the kid. To go play against much tougher competition and live away from home for a year, travel to games, and it basically be your first year of college essentially. I get it but sucks for high school b-ball fans. 

23 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

It’s a moot point now anyway re Mr Basketball lol. Ivey is going to play at La Lumiere for his senior year. 

So, a chance at Mr. Basketball means nothing to him as an elite high school player in the state of Indiana.  i guarantee it means something to Galloway and Leal.  I prefer those guys over Ivey on that fact alone.

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

So, a chance at Mr. Basketball means nothing to him as an elite high school player in the state of Indiana.  i guarantee it means something to Galloway and Leal.  I prefer those guys over Ivey on that fact alone.

Well Galloway wasn’t going to ditch his dad to go play for La Lumiere lol. 

Just now, Stlboiler23 said:

Well Galloway wasn’t going to ditch his dad to go play for La Lumiere lol. 

Looking back a couple of years, Romeo said no to going to a basketball factory, effectively ending his relationship with Duke.  I don't 'blame' a kid for choosing that route, but all other things being equal, I'm going to choose the kid that stays at home and plays for his local school.

Just now, 5fouls said:

Looking back a couple of years, Romeo said no to going to a basketball factory, effectively ending his relationship with Duke.  I don't 'blame' a kid for choosing that route, but all other things being equal, I'm going to choose the kid that stays at home and plays for his local school.

That’s fair

7 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

It sucks if you’re a fan of Indiana high school basketball but I don’t blame the kid. To go play against much tougher competition and live away from home for a year, travel to games, and it basically be your first year of college essentially. I get it but sucks for high school b-ball fans. 

Tougher competition?  Is that why LaLu scheduled CMA last year?  Trey and Co. gave them all they could handle.

21 minutes ago, rico said:

Tougher competition?  Is that why LaLu scheduled CMA last year?  Trey and Co. gave them all they could handle.

I mean they did play some state schools (also Center Grove, Brownsburg, Crispus Attucks, Michigan City, and Gary Roosevelt).  But that was complemented by Montverde Academy twice, Bishop Gorman, Findlay Prep, DeMatha, and IMG Academy. That’s a heck of a lot tougher than what Marian plays on a weekly basis. 

8 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

In the long run... I would need to see some sort of evidence that one season at LaLu is that beneficial. 

43 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Not sure how you’d ever be able to quantify that.

For a recruit who is uncommitted it may be beneficial as you're going to be playing in front of a bunch of scouts night in and night out, but I don't see where playing at Lu Lumiere for a single year does much. If anything, I would be worried about Ivey keeping his Purdue commitment by going to La Lumiere. All it takes is one big game for Ivey to go off with a scout from Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, UNC there watching another high prized recruit and next thing you know an offer comes along. I was very uneasy when Keion Brooks elected to play for La Lumiere last year.

23 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

For a recruit who is uncommitted it may be beneficial as you're going to be playing in front of a bunch of scouts night in and night out, but I don't see where playing at Lu Lumiere for a single year does much. If anything, I would be worried about Ivey keeping his Purdue commitment by going to La Lumiere. All it takes is one big game for Ivey to go off with a scout from Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, UNC there watching another high prized recruit and next thing you know an offer comes along. I was very uneasy when Keion Brooks elected to play for La Lumiere last year.

Very true. When schools like La Lu are involved I get a nervous feeling about the whole thing. The recruitment, player, family,etc....

I think in certain instances similar schools can be beneficial. Structure, getting used to being away from home,etc....but it doesn't change me feelings toward them.

Archived