I cut the cable. Now I need help.

I need to switch internet providers. AT&T was all that was available in my area when we moved in, but I'm paying almost $80 monthly after fees and getting only <25 MBps down and <2 up. 

I'm interested in Verizon's home internet - 5G at a great price - but it's not available to me yet.

So I'm looking at Metronet, which sells a basic plan of 100 MBps both down and up, for $65 after fees. Anyone have their service, and would you recommend it?

14 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

I need to switch internet providers. AT&T was all that was available in my area when we moved in, but I'm paying almost $80 monthly after fees and getting only <25 MBps down and <2 up. 

I'm interested in Verizon's home internet - 5G at a great price - but it's not available to me yet.

So I'm looking at Metronet, which sells a basic plan of 100 MBps both down and up, for $65 after fees. Anyone have their service, and would you recommend it?

I’m not familiar with it, but it looks to be another fiber network service. Key point, is it available and is it your best option based on your usage and needs? Keep in mind while technology advances at a high rate, the roll out takes time. What is all that now may be like dialup in a couple years.

13 hours ago, IUFLA said:

This is what I get in a speed test...

855123772_Screenshot_20220906-1916202.thumb.png.162c70245ac1109c7d23bdfd844444b1.png

I'm going to have to call Xfinity. I am paying for the fast service with downloads up to 300 Mbps but am not getting anywhere near that. Maybe it is the location of my server :)

20220907_090156.jpg

Edited by Reacher
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

26.4 to be exact...😂

Actually, I think it was 26.2 or 52.4 if you had blazing speed.

11 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

I remember my first few trips overseas I had to remember to change my laptop connection settings from tone to pulse! Remember the old rotary dial phones that sent pulses and the system had to count them?

Absolutely.  We're dating ourselves a bit...

• Haha 1

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...
15 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Resurrecting this thread after I read ESPN is looking to be a standalone streaming service at $35 a month...looking at a 2025 launch... 

I guess during college basketball season I'd pony up... But other than that, I have no interest... 

If I'm Apple or Amazon why not just go directly to those leagues and stream the stuff yourself. Why bail out ESPN in the process?

I have no grievance with ESPN, I just think it's a bad product. I only ever watch to see a specific game important to me. Every time I do ESPN is constantly running promotions for the rest of their schedule, or talking about players not involved in the current game. They constantly want me to be interested in something other than the game I came there to watch.

It's as though they want to be the channel you put on in the background and leave on all day, the channel of airports and barbershops. That's why the current thing is never as important as the next thing; they already have you and now that want you to stay. That's not my viewing habit, and certainly not worth $35 a month to me. 

• 2 months later...

Relative of mine just moved to Columbus, Indiana and for some reason with the same antenna he used in Indy to get all the channels isn't picking up any of the local FOX, NBC, CBS,etc....anyone have a reason of why that could be happening?

Everything I'm reading online says it must be a cord issue or wires not installed correctly. Just curious.

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Relative of mine just moved to Columbus, Indiana and for some reason with the same antenna he used in Indy to get all the channels isn't picking up any of the local FOX, NBC, CBS,etc....anyone have a reason of why that could be happening?

Everything I'm reading online says it must be a cord issue or wires not installed correctly. Just curious.

Could be the connections? Or maybe the signals aren’t as good there and a better antenna is needed? Most antenna are directional, may need to aim it?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Could be the connections? Or maybe the signals aren’t as good there and a better antenna is needed? Most antenna are directional, may need to aim it?

Having a "twist the antenna pole" childhood flashback...

"There... There... (let my hands off the pole) What in the hell did you do?!?!" 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Most of the TV broadcast towers(except CBS) are on the North Side of Indy.  Rabbit ears might not be able to pick the stations up.  Might need an outdoor roof antenna.  One trick they might try first... get a piece of coaxial cable.  Strip the insulation off one end a few inches exposing just the copper.  Take the other end and screw it into the antenna connection on the TV.  Put the copper end close to a window.  Then see if they come in.  I actually do that to get my locals here in Charleston, SC.  I do have to move it occasionally but it works for me.

Go Hoosiers!!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So, made some changes and added a cellular tablet to my electronic menagerie. Problem is now my cell bill is getting untenable? Currently trying to figure out how to get rid of not just cable but my internet connection as well! I’m one of those people that reads the instructions and then throws them away because I want to have it my way. I’m getting close, can now stream music from my phone to the entertainment center. Can stream YouTubeTV, Netflix and such from my phone to the television. (Warning!! You MUST set up a home network with a router before you disconnect your Internet Service!) Once your home network is set up you can disconnect the ISP. I’m going to use awhile before I actually cut the internet Stay tuned! 

6 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

So, made some changes and added a cellular tablet to my electronic menagerie. Problem is now my cell bill is getting untenable? Currently trying to figure out how to get rid of not just cable but my internet connection as well! I’m one of those people that reads the instructions and then throws them away because I want to have it my way. I’m getting close, can now stream music from my phone to the entertainment center. Can stream YouTubeTV, Netflix and such from my phone to the television. (Warning!! You MUST set up a home network with a router before you disconnect your Internet Service!) Once your home network is set up you can disconnect the ISP. I’m going to use awhile before I actually cut the internet Stay tuned! 

You mean basically using your phone as a hotspot and connecting it to the router that doesn't have an ISP?

If that's the case here are the pros and cons...

Good luck :) 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

You mean basically using your phone as a hotspot and connecting it to the router that doesn't have an ISP?

Actually no, that’s tethering. Most services limit tethering or using your phone as a hotspot, for instance my service has 50mb tethering. I typically stream 200-300 mb a month. So in my example I bluetooth connect to the speakers and use Airplay to cast my phone screen to the TV. The thing is Airplay requires both phone and TV be connected to the same Wi-Fi network! I have found that once the network is set up internet connection is not required. No hot spot required, and hopefully about $50/mo off my bill!😁

Edit: dating myself not mb but gb gigabytes!

Edited by Drroogh

3 hours ago, IUFLA said:

In my best coach impersonation Well Again, your link is about using tethering. This Link explains AirPlay and is more updated but specific to IOS. Noteworthy, the new IOS 17 now allows streaming 4K video with AirPlay and doesn’t require tethering! This is looking better all the time. One glitch I’ve found is you can’t seem to use bluetooth and WIFI at the same time. No matter, AirPlay sends audio with the video! More experiments needed but this is looking really good for eliminating the ISP!

4 hours ago, Drroogh said:

You can’t convince me there isn’t collusion involved!!!$$ Trying to use Netflix I can stream content to my phone using cellular but when I try connect to Wi-Fi for airplay ERROR!!! It seems Netflix automatically defaults to streaming from Wi-Fi when connected!! Haven’t given up yet but like I said collusion may prevent what I want to do!!!

• 2 months later...