Over weight guys!!!!!!

rico

30 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

Does anybody here actually enjoy running, or do we not have anybody that crazy on this board?

Man, I just can't convince myself to enjoy it yet. I'm sure a large part of that is because I suck at it haha.

I used to run 4-5 times a week. As I have an hour commute to work, I'd get up at 4:30ish to get my run in. Loved it. Two knee surgeries later and I am now a biker. Miss running with a passion

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I used to run 4-5 times a week. As I have an hour commute to work, I'd get up at 4:30ish to get my run in. Loved it. Two knee surgeries later and I am now a biker. Miss running with a passion

That's another thing about running. You usually don't hear someone get up really early to do a lot of hobbies, but it is like a rule with runners.

I'm hoping to get there. What was it about running you enjoyed?

41 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I just get really bored running. I find HIIT training has been more effective for me. Once I recover from my recent injury I plan on starting up again. 

I ran a half marathon a few years ago, but I didn't prepare very well. It was definitely more of a chore than a hobby. This time I'm looking more for enjoyment to keep up with it.

I guess there is just a part of me that wants to be a runner haha. If I can find the joy in it, that would be a life changing thing. I dont mind some HIIT as I was always more of a sprinter than a distance guy, but I find myself needing even more motivation for that than just a jog.

8 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

That's another thing about running. You usually don't hear someone get up really early to do a lot of hobbies, but it is like a rule with runners.

I'm hoping to get there. What was it about running you enjoyed?

Out on my own. At that point of the morning, the only one out in a car was the newspaper delivery person, and they knew to watch for me. Just the peace and quiet....let me think, pray, figure stuff out. Loved the feeling when I was just about finished for the day...sense of accomplishment.

Running also allowed me to eat a lot of calories, because I was burning so many off.

• Like 2

I used to run a lot. I did XC and track through hs and college.  One of my favorite things was running on trails. If you can find somewhere you enjoy being it helps.

Another thing that may be helpful is not starting out too fast. The benefit of most runs comes from the amount of time on your feet with your heart rate elevated.

• Like 1

Ran for 10+ years straight. Mostly for weight loss and runner's high or whatever you call that. Daily sense of accomplishment is what it gave me the most. Back to elliptical and walking. I enjoy golf. Want to play for decades to come and the pounding my knees took while running for so long took it's toll.

• 5 months later...

Wanted to fire this one back up as we head into cooler temps,etc...

I'm pretty frugal so I don't buy tennis shoes often but at the beginning of shutdown back on 3/16 week I bought a new pair of tennis shoes to keep my walking up. 

I'm proud and sad to announce my 30 week old shoes will have to go to shoe/closet heaven. 1350+ miles of walking since I bought. Tops of the shoes are still beautiful....soles however are shot. 

Dropped 6 lbs during Corona which once you consider the beer intake is a minor miracle. Good luck to those who are keeping fitness up and if not....today is never a bad day to start getting healthier. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Wanted to fire this one back up as we head into cooler temps,etc...

I'm pretty frugal so I don't buy tennis shoes often but at the beginning of shutdown back on 3/16 week I bought a new pair of tennis shoes to keep my walking up. 

I'm proud and sad to announce my 30 week old shoes will have to go to shoe/closet heaven. 1350+ miles of walking since I bought. Tops of the shoes are still beautiful....soles however are shot. 

Dropped 6 lbs during Corona which once you consider the beer intake is a minor miracle. Good luck to those who are keeping fitness up and if not....today is never a bad day to start getting healthier. 

Congrats on sticking with it.  I started Corona determined to walk the soles off my shoes.  I did great for 3 weeks, and then fell totally off to doing nothing.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Congrats on sticking with it.  I started Corona determined to walk the soles off my shoes.  I did great for 3 weeks, and then fell totally off to doing nothing.

Business and family stuff aside....it's one of my favorite 3 hour windows of the day. 90 minutes to walk. 30 minutes for shower/light lunch followed by mandatory 1 hour catnap. When we resume normal times I'm going to miss my 11-2 shift. Haha.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
20 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Firing this thread up again. In these times the best thing you can have is a strong immune system. Hopefully everyone is working out or getting daily exercise not just for the physical component but mental as well. 

Get those steps in and the lbs fall off!

There needs to be more emphasis on this. Get your immune system up and get in shape. I'm in better shape now at 52 then I was ten years ago and have had no health problems even with everything going on the last couple of years. Download a step counter and try to get at least a couple of miles every day.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

There needs to be more emphasis on this. Get your immune system up and get in shape. I'm in better shape now at 52 then I was ten years ago and have had no health problems even with everything going on the last couple of years. Download a step counter and try to get at least a couple of miles every day.

I get 15k plus steps each day but the knees are so bad that I truly can't do much else. I like to eat and thats a big issue. I am fatter now than any time in my life. I have to do something about it. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

I get 15k plus steps each day but the knees are so bad that I truly can't do much else. I like to eat and thats a big issue. I am fatter now than any time in my life. I have to do something about it. 

That is about what I get, anywhere from 12k to 15k a day, which is very good. I have a plate and screws in my right leg, so like you it can be hard to do much else at times. Food is my downfall also lol.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

That is about what I get, anywhere from 12k to 15k a day, which is very good. I have a plate and screws in my right leg, so like you it can be hard to do much else at times. Food is my downfall also lol.

2 new knees would make a world of difference for me.  I truly need to buckle down before I get to the point of no return. Losing 25 would be nice

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

2 new knees would make a world of difference for me.  I truly need to buckle down before I get to the point of no return. Losing 25 would be nice

My mom is probably a quite a bit older than you and she had two knee replacements and it is like night and day difference. She went from close to being in a wheelchair to up walking with just a cane at times. It is definitely something to consider.

On top of my normal biking, I started walking between 2-3 miles a day last August. After about 2 months, I developed numbing in the ball of my foot, and my 2nd and 3rd toes splayed out like a "V". Took almost 6 weeks to get in to see a podiatrist, and by that time I had developed hammer toe.

Meanwhile, the Monday before Thanksgiving, while curling felt my knee pop, then swelling. Bottom line, I am having my knee replaced next Tuesday, and the hammer toe thing has been put on the back burner.

I have been able to do little that I want to do since, and with the holidays probably put on about 15lbs. Not happy at all. Can't wait until this is behind me. Looking forward to getting out and active again. 

Being sedentary sucks.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

On top of my normal biking, I started walking between 2-3 miles a day last August. After about 2 months, I developed numbing in the ball of my foot, and my 2nd and 3rd toes splayed out like a "V". Took almost 6 weeks to get in to see a podiatrist, and by that time I had developed hammer toe.

Meanwhile, the Monday before Thanksgiving, while curling felt my knee pop, then swelling. Bottom line, I am having my knee replaced next Tuesday, and the hammer toe thing has been put on the back burner.

I have been able to do little that I want to do since, and with the holidays probably put on about 15lbs. Not happy at all. Can't wait until this is behind me. Looking forward to getting out and active again. 

Being sedentary sucks.

That sucks, sounds like a lot of pain.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hoosier51 said:

That sucks, sounds like a lot of pain.

I have a pretty high pain tolerance. Toe is more a nuisance right now, but I know it is going to have to be addressed or I'll never be able to do what I want.

Knee is off and on. Some days I wonder why I am even considering the replacement, and then I'll have a jolt of reality to remind me why. Only in the last few weeks has it started interrupting my sleep, which sucks as it can become difficult to find a comfortable position.

Diligently doing my pre-surgical exercises and hoping that what I've been told--that being active prior to surgery makes for a faster and easier recovery--is true.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

In my opinion (which counts for absolutely nothing) is that what goes into your body is a much much bigger part of weight loss than exercise. I lost 40 lbs last year with basically ZERO exercise. I did do some light weight exercise (free weights) and some sit ups...and I mean light as in basically 15 mins a day...I have an office job so no exercise during the day but I do have a 3 year old and two dogs so not totally seditary lifestyle but not really active. I did a pretty aggressive carb cutting diet and it worked very very good. It was very very tough to do. Hard to give up bread and sugars and potatoes but it made a world of difference. Used Keto bread, diet soda/flavored water, lot's of eggs, and proteins like chicken/turkey/steak and for snacks jerky, flavored pork rinds, sugar free jello/pudding, lots of sugar free yogurt with fruit (didn't worry about natural sugar in fruit) and atkin rewards (had a chocolate, carmel crispy thing). I won't lie...hardest thing I've ever done but after 2 weeks it got easier...just learned not to enjoy food...found things to take my mind off it or used substitutes like sugar free gum. A lot of people also like to have cheat days but I found cheating will just kill any motivation because once you get a real taste of food again your body starts craving it. 

I'm 42 but my metabolism has certainly slowed down the past 5-7 years for sure...so to go from 237 to 197 wasn't easy...but I think the idea of what you put in is just as or more important than how much you exercise. As we get older it just becomes more limited on how much we can exercise for those that have bad knees/backs etc....so while combining the two would be the preferred option it can still be accomplished by a very targeted and aggressive diet. I'd say I was probably working as hard about monitoring what I put in and how much time a day I was spending focusing on it than someone that ran for an hour and was done and wasn't monitoring their food. Exercise is still important for cardiovascular etc...so maybe doing things like swimming or riding a bike or something low resistance/less pounding on the joints.  Now that I have lost a good portion and now gone back to eating smaller portions of normal food and eliminating eating after 7 (just rules) I am working to increase my activity level but I know I will never be that smug runner at 6 am I see on my way to work who refuses to wave back at me...but doesn't mean I can't look as good. One thing is the same with both options...you have to have discipline either way.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 4

Just now, Steubenhoosier said:

I have a pretty high pain tolerance. Toe is more a nuisance right now, but I know it is going to have to be addressed or I'll never be able to do what I want.

Knee is off and on. Some days I wonder why I am even considering the replacement, and then I'll have a jolt of reality to remind me why. Only in the last few weeks has it started interrupting my sleep, which sucks as it can become difficult to find a comfortable position.

Diligently doing my pre-surgical exercises and hoping that what I've been told--that being active prior to surgery makes for a faster and easier recovery--is true.

So far everyone I've known that has had knee replacement surgery said it was the smartest thing they have done. I think the being active pre-surgery is true from what I hear.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

My mom is probably a quite a bit older than you and she had two knee replacements and it is like night and day difference. She went from close to being in a wheelchair to up walking with just a cane at times. It is definitely something to consider.

I need to do it but find myself in a tough situation.  My employer does not offer insurance but my wife can't carry me on hers just Ayden and Ayden has a secondary insurance for kids with life threatening illnesses but there is a financial component to it. His meds alone out of pocket would be over 7000 a month. I have to be sure I don't make too much and lose that coverage so I just suck it up until he is 18.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Hoosier51 said:

Our house has always been an exercise house but have made it even more of priority. Just got back from 8 miles on the Monon taking advantage of these temps before snowmageddon hits. 

I do 42 miles per week. Try to eat for the most part carb friendly foods( minus beer) and I'm at the same weight now that I was when I entered IU as freshman in Fall of 91.

I know it's hard for all of us to get started but just do it. I've never met anyone who doesn't do life better when their lighter and in shape. Regardless of age.

• Like 4