Over weight guys!!!!!!

rico

Between Peloton, regular biking, and walking I do alright, but always pick up a little more weight during winter. More baking in the household and I just don’t want to get out as much. 

Keeping moving is super important, it is shockingly easy to slide into a sedentary lifestyle these days and once you pack weight on it can be hard to get the energy to get started. 

I know it sounds like a 5Fouls joke, but having a younger, super-fit wife really helps me. I’m not sure I would be as fit as I am w/o that motivation. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Our house has always been an exercise house but have made it even more of priority. Just got back from 8 miles on the Monon taking advantage of these temps before snowmageddon hits. 

I do 42 miles per week. Try to eat for the most part carb friendly foods( minus beer) and I'm at the same weight now that I was when I entered IU as freshman in Fall of 91.

I know it's hard for all of us to get started but just do it. I've never met anyone who doesn't do life better when their lighter and in shape. Regardless of age.

I usually have a competition with some of my family to see who gets the most steps in a month, and since we are all competitive it pushes us all to try our hardest.

Yeah, I always feel so much better when I am in good shape. 

• Like 3

So yeah, I ballooned back up during COVID. Last month I cut out most carbs and stick to intermittent fasting (I eat from 1-9 only). Lost 8 pounds last month. Carbs are key for me to lose weight. I cut out diet soda and sadly, beer (at least until summer!).

I do have 1 cheat day a week. My family typically eats pizza once a week, so that is my cheat day. I did substitute Culvers once though.

I feel less bloated doing the intermittent fasting. Basically, I eat lunch and dinner with a snack around 8:30ish. Tons of proteins and veggies. I eat some cheeses as well.

Good luck to everyone trying to drop a few pounds!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

2 new knees would make a world of difference for me.  I truly need to buckle down before I get to the point of no return. Losing 25 would be nice

Having one new knee (4 years ago and still in pain) I'd try everything else before going under the knife. I have a friend who gets injections and says it's good for 3-4 months. Eventually, he'll have to have it replaced, but not now.

I'll go in a wheel chair before I have the other knee replaced. Hips? Piece of cake. Knees? No thanx.

If you can shed 20-25 lbs, that will help a lot, but gets awfully tough as you get older. I've resolved myself to the fact that I'll stay at 215 no matter what I do.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hoosier51 said:

So far everyone I've known that has had knee replacement surgery said it was the smartest thing they have done. I think the being active pre-surgery is true from what I hear.

I'll take the "other side of that trade".... lol

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DWB said:

Having one new knee (4 years ago and still in pain) I'd try everything else before going under the knife. I have a friend who gets injections and says it's good for 3-4 months. Eventually, he'll have to have it replaced, but not now.

My mom and aunt had the shots and said they didn't work. And after the surgery they are pretty happy. It all just depend on the person, some have success with shots and some don't, just like the surgery.

Edited by Hoosier51

So true...but since I'm the only one that has to walk on the new knee(s) I'll pass on the 2nd one. 4 years after the replacement the pain still wakes me up at night (on the replacement knee, not the other one). I even made the Dr go in and scope it a year or so ago, because he said my pain was from scar tissue. So I had to put a gun to his head to go back in and clean it out. It helped, but not anywhere near where it should be compared to my 2 new hips.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

I need to do it but find myself in a tough situation.  My employer does not offer insurance but my wife can't carry me on hers just Ayden and Ayden has a secondary insurance for kids with life threatening illnesses but there is a financial component to it. His meds alone out of pocket would be over 7000 a month. I have to be sure I don't make too much and lose that coverage so I just suck it up until he is 18.

So my bro and sis in law are in a similar situation.  They have used Samaritan Ministries medishare.  They now use Liberty Health Insurance.  They are both a faith based deal and after years on both he said he prefers Liberty, slightly.  

Asking another buddy but waiting on his answer.  Ill keep you posted.  

Edit add.  So he said Medi-share by mychristiancare.org  

Sounds like pros and cons of each of them and would require some research on your part to fit your needs.  

Edited by NotIThatLives
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Firing this thread up again. In these times the best thing you can have is a strong immune system. Hopefully everyone is working out or getting daily exercise not just for the physical component but mental as well. 

Get those steps in and the lbs fall off!

I highly recommend a Peloton to anyone. It’s the easiest way to get yourself moving daily that I can imagine and really has something for everyone. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

So my bro and sis in law are in a similar situation.  They have used Samaritan Ministries medishare.  They now use Liberty Health Insurance.  They are both a faith based deal and after years on both he said he prefers Liberty, slightly.  

Sounds like pros and cons of each of them and would require some research on your part to fit your needs.  

Been on both. Like Christian Healthcare Ministries a lot better. $450/month and per event out of pocket of $500.  Medishare is higher and has larger deductibles in my experience. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Been on both. Like Christian Healthcare Ministries a lot better. $450/month and per event out of pocket of $500.  Medishare is higher and has larger deductibles in my experience. 

My buddy was explaining his medishare.  Definitely a high deductible type of situation.  Iirc he was telling me, family of 4, $600 a month then a fairly high deductible.  Basically catastrophic.  But there were different levels, thats what they went with, younger and healthy.  

• Like 1

After nearly two full years of work-from-home I am easily in the worst shape of my life. I wasn't in great shape before but going into the office I would at least get some exercise on my breaks and whatnot. 

I can feel myself losing mobility. I just simply have to start doing things differently effective immediately. I know I can do it, and I've done it in the past. Just...got to get back in better routines.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Very, very hard for me to stay in shape during the winter.  The cold, damp weather comes along and my body wants to go into hibernation.  At this point it's both psychological and physical.  

Im right there with the rest of you guys. 

2021 was going really well and I was getting stronger and thinner until September hit then my list of excuses gets long and legitimate.  

But yeah guys let's get back on this. eat clean and lean, walk, workout do something.  Start somewhere.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

9 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Thank you very much I will look into them. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I highly recommend a Peloton to anyone. It’s the easiest way to get yourself moving daily that I can imagine and really has something for everyone. 

Best purchase we have made for our health and well being in ages. I love hopping on there with Robin or Tunde to start my day. I like Olivia too, but man she is HARD. Who are your go to instructors?

35 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Best purchase we have made for our health and well being in ages. I love hopping on there with Robin or Tunde to start my day. I like Olivia too, but man she is HARD. Who are your go to instructors?

Olivia is great if I want to PR!

Ben is probably my top go-to, but I also love Leanne, Jess King, Tunde, Emma, Christine, and Wilpers. 

Emma's Crush Your Core series are no joke, too, if you want to work on your abs. 

4 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Olivia is great if I want to PR!

Ben is probably my top go-to, but I also love Leanne, Jess King, Tunde, Emma, Christine, and Wilpers. 

Emma's Crush Your Core series are no joke, too, if you want to work on your abs. 

I like Ben and Leanne as well. So funny that they are married. 

Emma is great too and I like how Wilpers focuses a lot on form. 

I’ve been afraid to “crush my core” with Emma, but I probably should!

3 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

I like Ben and Leanne as well. So funny that they are married. 

Emma is great too and I like how Wilpers focuses a lot on form. 

I’ve been afraid to “crush my core” with Emma, but I probably should!

Yeah I love Ben and Leanne; they met at Peloton too. They’d be a fun couple to hang out with. Ben and I have exchanged messages on IG before, he’s a really cool, down to earth guy.

Emma makes it a really attainable program; there’s rest days and she encourages you to do what you can do, plus she often gives modifications. 

• Like 1

On 2/1/2022 at 8:53 PM, KoB2011 said:

I enjoy getting out on my bike and riding down here in Florida when I get the freedom so I have no interest in Peloton...and only need my wife's mother sharp tongue for motivation when she inevitably comes over for Sunday diners and takes veiled shots at my weight (even now after I lost significant weight) so paying someone to yell at me seems a little wasteful. That said for those that can't stomach the 2000-2400 plus monthly subscription charges on top....if you insist that you need Pelotons drill sargeants then you can always just subscribe without the equipment and use your own exercise bike and equipment and cast it from their app on the tv/phone etc. I mean there are a ton of free options out there as well so no matter what price point you are at I guess I'm saying there isn't a legitimate price excuse...we all have tons of motivational/situational excuses enough but that money one you can work around if you want.

I still subscribe to making changes to what goes into your body above all else. It is very hard but is the best way to see a big difference. Is it easier to bike for a half hour to hour or simply not eat that bag of Doritos? I don't have time to jump on a bike every time I want to eat something unhealthy so I just don't eat the bad stuff. People underestimate how much they eat and all the little add on things in their salads etc but closely monitoring and limiting your consumption I still think is more bang for your buck and time than anything else. Not only that but those that aren't in shape enough or healthy (not in pain etc) to exercise at the rate required to really burn enough calories etc to make much a difference....so start with your diet if you are really serious. If you can motivate yourself to exercise then you have the will power to monitor your diet as well.

Besides...when you eat well you start to FEEL much better. When you feel better then you sleep better and feel like getting up and moving around. In my experience...starting there is what gives you the energy to get out and be active....and also will take the extra weight off your joints etc and allow you to play pickleball, ride your bike, and go for that jog. I lost weight and suddenly my back and knees stopped hurting as much and then I didn't end laid up for days after exercising waiting for the inflamation to go down to exercise again. It's not that exercise is bad if you are overweight but for those that want to lose weight it is almost assuredly not going to be enough on it's own...so don't be afraid to just start with what you are eating and drinking and seeing if you can't have results there (especially in winter when you say you can't get out and exercise) and then as you feel better and improve your health you can work on adding more and more activity. Oh...and drink LOTS and LOTS of water....almost nobody is drinking enough. Your body loves it and will love you for it...and you may find you eat less when you do drink it. No matter what you choose to do just go for it! I approach it in a competitive way...try to challenge myself...I don't focus every day on the scale but rather on pant size/shirt size and how I'm feeling and how my BP is etc. Good luck!

• Like 1