Big Ten Football

BeerBQ

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Scott Frost just received a 2 year extension at Nebraska.

Fine by me, based on what I've seen.

Honestly...he isn't a bad coach. He definitely has a lot of work to do..and I'm not sure he has the right staff around him but I think this is to help him on the recruiting trails. If he is on the hot seat players just won't commit. Honestly, this is the last connection to Osbourne and the successful 80s/90s. If he doesn't work out well I'm not sure their championships etc will be of any good in getting anyone else. It's either Frost or forever mediocracy imo.

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

Honestly...he isn't a bad coach. He definitely has a lot of work to do..and I'm not sure he has the right staff around him but I think this is to help him on the recruiting trails. If he is on the hot seat players just won't commit. Honestly, this is the last connection to Osbourne and the successful 80s/90s. If he doesn't work out well I'm not sure their championships etc will be of any good in getting anyone else. It's either Frost or forever mediocracy imo.

I don't think he's a bad coach. I don't think he's a great coach either. He doesn't seem to have the passion of Allen. I don't think he's as smart as a Pat Fitzgerald. He doesn't carry the name value of Harbaugh. He's a former QB that knows the game fairly well and has name value in his home territory.

I don't put him in the Darrell Hazell or Brady Hoke territory, but I'm not worried about playing a Scott Frost team in the next few years either.

1 hour ago, Zlinedavid said:

I don't think he's a bad coach. I don't think he's a great coach either. He doesn't seem to have the passion of Allen. I don't think he's as smart as a Pat Fitzgerald. He doesn't carry the name value of Harbaugh. He's a former QB that knows the game fairly well and has name value in his home territory.

I don't put him in the Darrell Hazell or Brady Hoke territory, but I'm not worried about playing a Scott Frost team in the next few years either.

I don't put him with Hazell or Hoke, but if it happens in a year or two, I wouldn't be surprised about it.  I really don't think he's a good coach, and like you, I won't be scared of playing Nebraska any time soon.

5 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I know they are struggling but Scott Frost was coach of the year at UCF. That said he had better talent at UCF then Nebraska and that says a lot about the state of Nebraska football. 

From the things I hear him say, and things I see him do during games, I just don't think he has it.  He seems to be out of touch with things, and in a little over his head.

2 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

From the things I hear him say, and things I see him do during games, I just don't think he has it.  He seems to be out of touch with things, and in a little over his head.

He had things rolling at UCF and even beat Auburn in a bowl game to go undefeated. Nebraska is just not getting those same caliber players they used to get.

3 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Well played. But built up enough equity his first two years haha. Plus attendance has been rock solid this year. 

Next year will be an interesting year for Brohm.  Just pulled up your guy's schedule, and I would say 5 of the first 6 games are roughly 50/50 games, and the last half of the schedule could be pretty tough.  If you guys get off to a slow start next year like you have the last 2 years, it could get a little rough for him.  Get off to a good start, and all will be good for you guys.

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

He had things rolling at UCF and even beat Auburn in a bowl game to go undefeated. Nebraska is just not getting those same caliber players they used to get.

He just says a lot of dumb things and makes quite a few dumb decisions during games.  I think they'll get better once they get better players, but I don't see him ever getting Nebraska back to where their fans expect them to be.

2 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Well played. But built up enough equity his first two years haha. Plus attendance has been rock solid this year. 

Haha, just messing around.  Brohm is obviously a decent coach and better than Hazell, and he's recruited wide receivers and skill positions well, but his neglect of building the entire roster out is really showing this year.  You guys need more depth and development on the lines.

4 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

Next year will be an interesting year for Brohm.  Just pulled up your guy's schedule, and I would say 5 of the first 6 games are roughly 50/50 games, and the last half of the schedule could be pretty tough.  If you guys get off to a slow start next year like you have the last 2 years, it could get a little rough for him.  Get off to a good start, and all will be good for you guys.

No doubt. Assuming we can get healthy and patch up the o-line, I think we’ll have a solid season next year. Injury bug has to turn around from this year right?

5 minutes ago, rogue3542 said:

Haha, just messing around.  Brohm is obviously a decent coach and better than Hazell, and he's recruited wide receivers and skill positions well, but his neglect of building the entire roster out is really showing this year.  You guys need more depth and development on the lines.

Idk if neglect is the right word. He has talent on both lines it’s just really young. I will admit he probably should’ve brought in some grad transfers for the lines this year but line depth is always the hardest to build IMO and we only have like 2 o-line guys in our two deeps from the Hazell era. Compare the lines that both Allen and Brohm inherited. Each of the past two seasons I think we had 2 either JUCO/grad transfers starting on the o-line. That’s not good lol. 

8 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Idk if neglect is the right word. He has talent on both lines it’s just really young. I will admit he probably should’ve brought in some grad transfers for the lines this year but line depth is always the hardest to build IMO and we only have like 2 o-line guys in our two deeps from the Hazell era. Compare the lines that both Allen and Brohm inherited. Each of the past two seasons I think we had 2 either JUCO/grad transfers starting on the o-line. That’s not good lol. 

Yeah, you're right, neglect is too strong of a word, but I do think this year has definitely shown that he needs to focus on it more.

Just now, Stlboiler23 said:

No doubt. Assuming we can get healthy and patch up the o-line, I think we’ll have a solid season next year. Injury bug has to turn around from this year right?

You'd sure think injuries would have to be better for you guys next year.  O-line play will definitely be key.  Is Plummer expected to be QB next year?  He seems to be a sack machine.

Archived