Big Ten Football

BeerBQ

I recorded the replay of the Iowa/Nebraska game and watched some of it this morning.  A few thoughts.

The officiating was horrible.  It is so clear that the B1G has an agenda with how their games are officiated.  You pretty much know going into games that the team with 5 wins or a chance of getting into the CFP is going to get all the calls.  There was one where the Iowa RB got tackled by the face mask, and not only did they not call it, they called a personal foul on the Iowa WR after he got smacked in the face.  There were so many other crappy calls.  Nebraska only had 3 penalties all game.  A questionable review in the last minute too.  Dean Blandino was saying he thought it was a catch, but the review overturned it.  2 plays later, there was a clear targeting on a receiver that got overturned.

Adrian Martinez is a special kind of bad right now.  He went 10-18 for 50 yards.  50 yards!!!  No idea why he's still playing instead of McCaffrey.  Well, I guess he isn't still playing since their season is over!

Frost made some terrible calls.  2nd and 20 with 50 seconds left, runs Martinez, and he runs out of bounds.  You have got to be in his headset before that play saying you're playing for overtime, so just get some yards, but you have to stay in bounds.  Iowa had 1 timeout left, so Nebraska probably could have run out the clock if he didn't go out of bounds.  I've been saying it all year, but he seems to be in over his head.  I hope Allen calls the B1G office and begs to play them in crossover games every year.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Any consolation that IU gave up less points to Ohio State than Michigan ?  Yeah, I know it was five. But less. And when we played the Bucks it was earlier in our season.

So... the real question is. After continuing to lose to OSU.  Does UM stay with Crean's in law ?

I think he gets another year, but he's going to need some asbestos lined Dickies his seat is going to be so hot.

Sounds like Schiano and Rutgers finally got things worked out. Opinions vary on him but I do know the guy can coach. Not many if any laydown wins in the Big 10 much longer. 

Tough loss at home yesterday for Illinois who get beat up by Northwestern. Northwestern had 378 yards on the ground compared to 14 for Illinois. They also have the same problem it appears we do. No student on campus,etc....game looked like it was played in front of 15k tops.

15 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Any consolation that IU gave up less points to Ohio State than Michigan ?  Yeah, I know it was five. But less. And when we played the Bucks it was earlier in our season.

So... the real question is. After continuing to lose to OSU.  Does UM stay with Crean's in law ?

Who are they going to get? I mean, if they want to keep changing coaches every 3-4 years until they finally find one that manages to win a single game against OSU that's their choice, but if they really want to beat OSU, they need to recruit like OSU, and I'm not sure that's possible in the present day. 

1 hour ago, TheWatShot said:

Who are they going to get? I mean, if they want to keep changing coaches every 3-4 years until they finally find one that manages to win a single game against OSU that's their choice, but if they really want to beat OSU, they need to recruit like OSU, and I'm not sure that's possible in the present day. 

It is funny how some Michigan fans think.  

1 hour ago, TheWatShot said:

OSU has elite-level size and speed. No team north of the Mason-Dixon line even comes close and there are maybe three or four total that can match up.

3 hours ago, rico said:

It is funny how some Michigan fans think.  

I sat with friends from Michigan amongst other Wolverine fans while attending the game last weekend.  It was interesting, especially in the first quarter, to hear those Michigan fans screaming at Harbaugh.  No love lost there, it would seem.  LOL

22 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

I sat with friends from Michigan amongst other Wolverine fans while attending the game last weekend.  It was interesting, especially in the first quarter, to hear those Michigan fans screaming at Harbaugh.  No love lost there, it would seem.  LOL

This is Jim's 5th year in Ann Arbor.  If the Wolves win their bowl game this year that would be 4 out of 5 seasons that Harbaugh won 10 games.  Those Michigan fans better be careful what they wish for.

1 hour ago, rico said:

This is Jim's 5th year in Ann Arbor.  If the Wolves win their bowl game this year that would be 4 out of 5 seasons that Harbaugh won 10 games.  Those Michigan fans better be careful what they wish for.

Yes, indeed.  But I think their fans feel like until they beat the Bucknuts...they're not relevant as in "the old days".  I dunno...even my Wolverine friend still talks about Bo.  Kind of how we sometimes talk about Knight.  Chasing ghosts.

I know zippo about football, but it feels to me like ever since Urban arrived that OSU's speed changed a gear.  They have SEC speed and unreal depth on their team.  Their recruiting is just amazing, IMHO.  And that's where Michigan is falling short, I think.  Thus, the score from their game yesterday.  Pretty much all OSU.  ***Rereading this I found myself saying... "Gee, thanks, Mr. Obvious!!".   DUHHH! !!!  😄

1 hour ago, jv1972iu said:

I know zippo about football, but it feels to me like ever since Urban arrived that OSU's speed changed a gear.  They have SEC speed and unreal depth on their team.  Their recruiting is just amazing, IMHO.  And that's where Michigan is falling short, I think.  Thus, the score from their game yesterday.  Pretty much all OSU.  ***Rereading this I found myself saying... "Gee, thanks, Mr. Obvious!!".   DUHHH! !!!  😄

I think when talking about the two programs(tOSU and Michigan) three things come into play.  The first is the HS programs in each state.  Ohio is vastly better than the state of Michigan.  Ohio St. could just recruit within their borders and they would be just fine.  UM can't say that.  The second thing is tOSU is the only Power 5 school in their state.  Michigan has little brother Sparty to worry about.  Thirdly.  The National persona.  The Bucks got the Wolves beat on that one as well.

46 minutes ago, rico said:

I think when talking about the two programs(tOSU and Michigan) three things come into play.  The first is the HS programs in each state.  Ohio is vastly better than the state of Michigan.  Ohio St. could just recruit within their borders and they would be just fine.  UM can't say that.  The second thing is tOSU is the only Power 5 school in their state.  Michigan has little brother Sparty to worry about.  Thirdly.  The National persona.  The Bucks got the Wolves beat on that one as well.

Ok...I can see your points.  But I hate OSU way more than Michigan.  😁

4 hours ago, jv1972iu said:

OSU took its program up a notch with Tressel, and even further with Meyer. They've basically become the Alabama of the midwest. Recruiting is a major reason for this; OSU regularly pulls in top 5 classes while Michigan has barely been top 20. 

I think another factor is academics. Michigan is much, much more difficult to get into than OSU. Players like Cardale "we ain't come to play school" Jones aren't going to UM for a reason. 

3 hours ago, rico said:

Agreed. I thought it was interesting Michigan this year pushed speed speed speed....then they showed the disparity between OSU OL and Michigan DL...avg size was 330 to 270! 

Michigan is just great in their own mind...they are a really good program but they aren’t elite and haven’t been for many years. Ohio St. is just better over the past 20 years and despite Michigans largest amount of success before 1950 are just about even W/L record wise. Heard Cowherd say what I always thought. They have iconic uniforms and an iconic fight song and iconic stadium but have they haven’t been elite in a long long time. Even Bo struggled in bowl games and even though Jim has good W/L records he hasn’t won games that count. He hasn’t won a conference championship, beat OSU, and is what 1-3 in bowls. Hard to say they can do better than Jim....but I can understand the disappointment. 

8 hours ago, dgambill said:

Agreed. I thought it was interesting Michigan this year pushed speed speed speed....then they showed the disparity between OSU OL and Michigan DL...avg size was 330 to 270! 

Michigan is just great in their own mind...they are a really good program but they aren’t elite and haven’t been for many years. Ohio St. is just better over the past 20 years and despite Michigans largest amount of success before 1950 are just about even W/L record wise. Heard Cowherd say what I always thought. They have iconic uniforms and an iconic fight song and iconic stadium but have they haven’t been elite in a long long time. Even Bo struggled in bowl games and even though Jim has good W/L records he hasn’t won games that count. He hasn’t won a conference championship, beat OSU, and is what 1-3 in bowls. Hard to say they can do better than Jim....but I can understand the disappointment. 

Michigan is a very proud program.  But reality has to be setting in...doesn't it?  

10 hours ago, dgambill said:

Michigan is just great in their own mind...they are a really good program but they aren’t elite and haven’t been for many years. Ohio St. is just better over the past 20 years and despite Michigans largest amount of success before 1950 are just about even W/L record wise. ... They have iconic uniforms and an iconic fight song and iconic stadium but have they haven’t been elite in a long long time.

Before we beat up on Michigan too much, it's not that much of a stretch to substitute Indiana basketball in the above statement's context. 

1 hour ago, Zlinedavid said:

Before we beat up on Michigan too much, it's not that much of a stretch to substitute Indiana basketball in the above statement's context. 

Unfortunately this has been true. But I would argue much of our demise has been self inflicted by our administration's poor coaching selections.  Put any number of competent coaches in place following coach Knight,  and the story is very different. 

Love the direction Archie has us headed, but it just reinforces the fact that with Indiana high school and AAU basketball recruiting resources,  the grounds are very fertile for success.  No coach will get every stud Hoosier high schooler, but Davis, Sampson, and eventually Crean had major issues that hindered what shouldn't be that difficult. 

All that said, we can right the ship much easier than Michigan football.  Football requires much larger numbers, and can't pivot as quickly as basketball.  Let's hope 20 years from now we don't have to include our Hoosiers in these types of comparisons. 

On 12/2/2019 at 5:39 AM, rico said:

Michigan is a very proud program.  But reality has to be setting in...doesn't it?  

Could be worse it could be Nebraska. They are much closer to having a NC then people like to say. 

On 12/2/2019 at 7:34 AM, Zlinedavid said:

I’d say we are closer to Nebraska then Michigan at the moment. Almost More seasons not making the tournament/bowl game than. At least Michigan is respectably competing. That said basketball is indeed a much easier sport to turn things around.

Archived