Big Ten Football

BeerBQ

1 minute ago, CrimsonV said:

Boiler gonna boiler. Diaco will be trying to figure out all offseason what he’s going to do when the Penix is pulled out on him

Lol. It’ll be hard for him to do worse than the last two seasons. Holt left a lot to be desired and didn’t recruit well. With our offense, we just need a respectable defense honestly. Don’t have to have an insane defense to do well. 

As far as Penix, he needs to make it through a full season first. He’s starting to remind me of Sindelar honestly. A lot of talent but can’t stay healthy. 

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Is it wrong? Lol. I knew people were bummed DeBord was leaving because he wasn’t very good but I don’t recall people being worried about DeBoer. 

How many people truly follow coordinators enough to actually worry about one being hired?

What OC can IU hire that would realistically worry you?

20 minutes ago, rico said:

In all fairness to Boiler and Diaco...the guy did win the award for the top assistant coach once when he was with Notre Dame.  After that it appears that he made some bad career choices.

I’m sure the money was nice but yeah his stint at UConn wasn’t great (but it’s Uconn lol). He was at Nebraska with Riley when his seat was already pretty warm. We could’ve done a lot worse IMO. His track record is better than Holt’s IMO. 

2 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

Seeing a lot that Diaco's system relies heavily on good linebackers. What does PU have at LB next year?

We have some talent but it’s young. Lost Bailey, Holt, and then Jones is transferring. We brought in a JUCO LB who will start and then we have some younger guys like Jalen Graham who might transition into an OLB. Will be interesting to see. 

But our d-line should be be one of the better ones in the league with Karlaftis and Neal anchoring it. 

1 hour ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Is it wrong? Lol. I knew people were bummed DeBord was leaving because he wasn’t very good but I don’t recall people being worried about DeBoer. 

Ok People that didn’t do the research weren’t scared cuz he wasn’t a “big name” hire but when you dove into the numbers it was pretty clear out offenses was going to be a lot better with him. I for one was really excited. 

Regarding your DC hire it looks like he had a lot of success at ND but then I hear reports of issues with players not getting along with him? Not sure what went down there or what is true but based on numbers outside of Nebraska for one year it looks like it could be a good hire. Is it a no doubt home run? Idk. I’m sure you know more about him than I do. 

2 hours ago, rogue3542 said:

Deboer was 67-3 as a head coach in NAIA, with 3 national championships.  His last year as a head coach, his team averaged 51.7 points per game.

That almost understates it, believe it or not.  Two of those three losses happened in his first season of coaching, and one of them was in the national semifinals.  He had undefeated national championships in 2006, 2008 and 2009.  His only other loss as a head coach there was the 2007 national championship game.  The guy was basically the Dabo Swinney or Nick Saban of the NAIA for those 5 seasons. 

Keep in mind, those were his first 5 years as a head coach on any level. 

Yeah, he wasn't a name many people had heard of.  Hell, I'll admit, I hadn't heard of him. But 10 minutes of reading and the only thought running through my head was "This dude knows what the $&%* he's doing."

14 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

Auburn finding it a big more difficult this time around, having to play a Big Ten team instead of the creampuff they got last year. 

So how long does PJ Fleck stay at Minny? Incredible what he’s accomplished there. Has to be near the top of the list for major program openings. 

Don’t know if he’d take it, but Nebraska should pursue him

5 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

So how long does PJ Fleck stay at Minny? Incredible what he’s accomplished there. Has to be near the top of the list for major program openings. 

Don’t know if he’d take it, but Nebraska should pursue him

Is incredible the right word? 22-15 over 3 years after inheriting a program that had 31 wins over the prior 4 years? Don’t get me wrong he’s been good but idk if I’d say he’s been “incredible.” 

12 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Is incredible the right word? 22-15 over 3 years after inheriting a program that had 31 wins over the prior 4 years? Don’t get me wrong he’s been good but idk if I’d say he’s been “incredible.” 

He’s at MN. He has the highest winning % of any coach there since  the 1940s. Most regular season wins in more than 100 years. Playing a far more talented Auburn team straight up. Watch any MN game this year and you can see how fundamentally sound they are

1 hour ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Yawn. We got picked because our fans would show up in droves not because our talent/ability was similar to Auburn. 

I don't care what the talent discrepancy was, it was 56-7 at half time.  It is justified for fans to talk crap about that game for as long as they want.  That was an embarrassment.

Here are all the Auburn records they set that game in case you forgot.

Surprised Minnesota won that game.  Still don't think they're as good as their record.

I don't know how they get so lucky with scheduling.  Next year their crossover games are Michigan, MSU, and Maryland.  This year they had Rutgers, Maryland, and Penn State.  Good for them winning the games scheduled though.

6 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

I don't care what the talent discrepancy was, it was 56-7 at half time.  It is justified for fans to talk crap about that game for as long as they want.  That was an embarrassment.

Here are all the Auburn records they set that game in case you forgot.

Would rather get embarrassed in a bowl game then not make one though. Sure it was a bad outcome but it didn’t have a negative impact on anything beyond that one game IMO. 

1 minute ago, Leathernecks said:

Surprised Minnesota won that game.  Still don't think they're as good as their record.

I don't know how they get so lucky with scheduling.  Next year their crossover games are Michigan, MSU, and Maryland.  This year they had Rutgers, Maryland, and Penn State.  Good for them winning the games scheduled though.

How can they have Maryland twice? Is it a protected rivalry?

Archived