College Football (Not Big Ten)

42 minutes ago, rico said:

You will get a kick out of this...I read an article yesterday that said the odds were that if Notre Dame went 10-2 that they would get left out of a New Year's Six bowl.  The irony is that with current projections that either Virginia or Va Tech would play in the Orange Bowl.

ACC is so bad

• Replies 984
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, rico said:

You will get a kick out of this...I read an article yesterday that said the odds were that if Notre Dame went 10-2 that they would get left out of a New Year's Six bowl.  The irony is that with current projections that either Virginia or Va Tech would play in the Orange Bowl.

As a Canes fan I follow plenty of South Florida writers, journalists,etc.....prevailing thought is this. If Clemson stays in CFP and no other team from ACC finishes in top 25 of final bowl.....the Orange Bowl Board of Directors get to choose who they want in regardless of final records for ACC schools. The word is they want Alabama/Miami game. Sure the Va Tech or Virginia folks might get ticked but if neither finish in top 25...the scenario I said has a real strong chance of happening.

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

As a Canes fan I follow plenty of South Florida writers, journalists,etc.....prevailing thought is this. If Clemson stays in CFP and no other team from ACC finishes in top 25 of final bowl.....the Orange Bowl Board of Directors get to choose who they want in regardless of final records for ACC schools. The word is they want Alabama/Miami game. Sure the Va Tech or Virginia folks might get ticked but if neither finish in top 25...the scenario I said has a real strong chance of happening.

Well the odds/projections say that either UVa or VaTech will be in the Orange.  Regardless, an undeserving ACC team is on course to be in that bowl.  

14 hours ago, rico said:

Considering ND handled both of those easily that is a surprise because no way another ACC team is ranked at year end.

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Honestly I don’t know why ND doesn’t join it. If they get assurances they would be put in opposite division as Clemson they would have excellent shot at CFP and could still have USC as out of conference foe.

Ummmm, the TV contract with NBC?

12 minutes ago, rico said:

Ummmm, the TV contract with NBC?

Good call lol...is there something that says NBC couldn’t still broadcast them?

12 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Notre Dame beat Va Tech by 1 point 

Yes brain fart..but still they beat both and fans would travel and at least get more eyes on tv so I don’t see why they would not get the nod.

11 hours ago, dgambill said:

Honestly I don’t know why ND doesn’t join it. If they get assurances they would be put in opposite division as Clemson they would have excellent shot at CFP and could still have USC as out of conference foe.

Money (they keep whatever they negotiate in their next tv contract). 

Schedule flexibility (including playing traditional rivals - much more difficult if locked into a conference schedule; probably not realistic to play conference schedule plus USC, Stanford, and Navy).

National exposure/branding. I think the reality is that ND believes they build a stronger brand as an independent, and it allows them to play more big name programs to sustain that brand (e.g., home and home against Oklahoma, Georgia, Ohio State, Wisconsin in recent or upcoming seasons, in addition to ACC teams and traditional rivals). 

There also just isn’t a significant incentive to join the ACC.

1 hour ago, jimsorgi said:

Money (they keep whatever they negotiate in their next tv contract). 

Schedule flexibility (including playing traditional rivals - much more difficult if locked into a conference schedule; probably not realistic to play conference schedule plus USC, Stanford, and Navy).

National exposure/branding. I think the reality is that ND believes they build a stronger brand as an independent, and it allows them to play more big name programs to sustain that brand (e.g., home and home against Oklahoma, Georgia, Ohio State, Wisconsin in recent or upcoming seasons, in addition to ACC teams and traditional rivals). 

There also just isn’t a significant incentive to join the ACC.

That last sentence doesn't have to be true if Miami and Florida St. would return to their former glory.  You could say the same about Pitt, Boston College, and Syracuse.  The ACC could be a power house.

25 minutes ago, rico said:

That last sentence doesn't have to be true if Miami and Florida St. would return to their former glory.  You could say the same about Pitt, Boston College, and Syracuse.  The ACC could be a power house.

Certainly. But I don’t get the feeling that ND sees it like that. 

38 minutes ago, rico said:

No they don't.  They just see that NBC money and until that money goes away they will never think of joining a conference for football.  

And, putting money aside, no benefits to being in a conference. If the money is equal, they still would not join a conference. 

12 minutes ago, jimsorgi said:

And, putting money aside, no benefits to being in a conference. If the money is equal, they still would not join a conference. 

The CFP is why they would join a conference...especially joining the ACC.  The ACC plays an 8 game conference schedule(I think) so if ND was in it they would play 4 ooc games.  Assuming they would be opposite of Clemson and keeping their "rivalries" with USC, Stanford, Navy, and Michigan intact.  Dropping the UGA game.  This year the Irish could be playing in the ACC championship game with 1 loss going against Clemson.  As it stands now the Irish are eliminated from a CFP appearance.  

That is my "fuzzy math" though.  LOL

8 minutes ago, rico said:

The CFP is why they would join a conference...especially joining the ACC.  The ACC plays an 8 game conference schedule(I think) so if ND was in it they would play 4 ooc games.  Assuming they would be opposite of Clemson and keeping their "rivalries" with USC, Stanford, Navy, and Michigan intact.  Dropping the UGA game.  This year the Irish could be playing in the ACC championship game with 1 loss going against Clemson.  As it stands now the Irish are eliminated from a CFP appearance.  

NBC $$$ > All that stuff you just mentioned

On 11/22/2019 at 10:51 AM, rico said:

If the playoffs don’t change and the committee starts honoring conference championships then ND may start seeing themselves on the outside looking in....that might incentivize them to move. Also ACC May have to make it worth $$$. All it would take is PAC12 and Big12 getting a little stiffer. If committee starts valuing their conference championship like they do SEC and B1G then ND might be stuck on outside looking in.

Archived