Trivia

rico

11 minutes ago, rico said:

A dandy I heard last night on the local sports...

A minor league franchise relocated to Fort Wayne in 1993.  Who is the first player to play for Fort Wayne to make it to the majors?

Hints:

He is a native Hoosier.

He received an offer to play basketball at Indiana St.

He played 21 years in the majors.

I remember hearing about who I think it was on a Cubs broadcast in the early 2000s. But I'll hold on and let some others take a whack at it.

It is a good one...

• Like 1

Usually I know the in state guys with a slant towards Central/Southern part of the state.  21 years part of your clue has me just confused....has to be a pitcher. This is either one of those obscure questions where I never would or could answer....or it's going to be really...didn't know he was a Hoosier.

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I remember hearing about who I think it was on a Cubs broadcast in the early 2000s. But I'll hold on and let some others take a whack at it.

It is a good one...

He did play for the Cubs at one time.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Usually I know the in state guys with a slant towards Central/Southern part of the state.  21 years part of your clue has me just confused....has to be a pitcher. This is either one of those obscure questions where I never would or could answer....or it's going to be really...didn't know he was a Hoosier.

You would know the guy.

11 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

This guy, if it's who I think it is, is from @milehiiu neck of the woods...Gary... 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rico said:

Yep

Oh boy. Just looked it up. Wow. Didn't know he was from Gary. I know why I didn't know who he was. He's been permanently erased from my brain because of blown saves and constant booing from the fans at Wrigley. To his defense though.....Dusty had no business using him as a closer. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Oh boy. Just looked it up. Wow. Didn't know he was from Gary. I know why I didn't know who he was. He's been permanently erased from my brain because of blown saves and constant booing from the fans at Wrigley. To his defense though.....Dusty had no business using him as a closer. 

Yep...better 7th inning guy...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rico said:

Some other tidbits:

He won the Midwest Leagues's pitching Triple Crown in '93

He is Patrick Mahomes' godfather.

Wow. Mahomes Godfather too. No clue. Be careful Patrick....you might start throwing passes in the dirt routinely and costing your team a chance at playoffs. Kidding of course. Kind of. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, rico said:

Honestly fellas, I did not know his history at all.  

It's just part of stupid fandom for me. LaTroy was the best setup guy going in baseball and Dusty tried to turn him into a closer. Wasn't really his fault...at the time Cubs fans were still dealing with Bartman and that fiasco. Every time anything happened there was booing. Hawkins just seemed to be the target more times than not.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

This guy, if it's who I think it is, is from @milehiiu neck of the woods...Gary... 

LaTroy Hawkins went to Gary West Side High School. He spent two sessions as a Colorado Rockie. The first of which when he helped the Rox to their first World Series appearance.

: LaTroy Hawkins remains true to Gary roots after playing in major leagues for two decades - Chicago Tribune

6 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

No, not Johnny Bench...

Oh, wait, yeah, upper left!

Very underrated pitcher IMHO...

I do believe that El Tiante has the MLB record for the most wins by a Cuban born pitcher?

And he was a pleasure to watch.

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Double header here...

Who is the only player on the losing team to win World Series MVP?

Who was the only player on the losing team to win MVP of the Super Bowl?

Know them...btw, How did that trade work out for the Bears?

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Double header here...

I believe the baseball answer is Bobby Richardson of the Yankees, sometime in the early 1960's.  

Have no idea on the Super Bowl answer.

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Double header here...

Got nothing on these. Has to be pre let's say 1970's because it seems like winners only since. 

55 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I believe the baseball answer is Bobby Richardson of the Yankees, sometime in the early 1960's.  

Have no idea on the Super Bowl answer.

The Yankees Bobby Richardson in 1960 (The Mazeroski home run ended it in the Bucs favor) is correct.