Keion Brooks Jr. Commits to UK

milehiiu

5 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

All true.  Just wasn't sure if it wasn't like the Franklin/Newman situation where the first one to choose gets the spot (or has the staff been given the silent verbal?).  It seems like we've seen a bit more talk about Trendon, thus the question (Disclaimer: I know only what I read on message boards).

I'm all for getting a 5th year guy to fill immediate needs.

Yeah I don't know anymore either. I think the fact we made Trendon's final 4 sent a signal of hope amongst some of us...but I think it is more like the offer still stands...and the first to accept is the only one promised a spot. I think the Trendon IU thing is more out of appreciation for the IU family and his brother but in the end he has been pretty outspoken and focused on Memphis and Alabama. I do think if come spring if KBJ goes somewhere else and something doesn't sit right with Trendon's first choice then Archie will put the full court press on him again it would heat up...but to me it's a pretty pretty long shot to land him...and almost nil if we land Keion.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For those of us pining for a 4th shiny new toy in 2019, who do you want to leave? I can't think of a player I want gone as they all have the potential to be solid contributors. If someone leaves, that indicates program failure, failure on the part of a player or career-ending injury. I don't see any non-senior outside of Romeo playing for money next season.

On second thought, please don't answer that question here where players and family can see it. I cringe every time I see a member hoping a player will transfer.

30 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

For those of us pining for a 4th shiny new toy in 2019, who do you want to leave? I can't think of a player I want gone as they all have the potential to be solid contributors. If someone leaves, that indicates program failure, failure on the part of a player or career-ending injury. I don't see any non-senior outside of Romeo playing for money next season.

On second thought, please don't answer that question here where players and family can see it. I cringe every time I see a member hoping a player will transfer.

Good point, we haven't even gotten a 3rd, why worry about a 4th. Nothing says we get either until it happens.

43 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Clifton.  He won't play until he's at least a senior and if Archie lands another stud big man in 2020 he probably won't even play then.

5 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Clifton.  He won't play until he's at least a senior and if Archie lands another stud big man in 2020 he probably won't even play then.

I'll take that bet. He's already playing and contributing and Archie is on record about liking his progress.

Keion likely comes and I hope that finishes the class. If we take a 4th, something went wrong.

5 hours ago, CoachSS said:

Could be later January. 

After about 2-3 weeks ago, it was never going to happen in December or early January. Too many variables with family, holidays, outrageous travel. 

Patience is a virtue. 

This past weekend I was told, from someone who speaks with his Dad very, very regularly that he has eliminated a school that is mentioned regularly. 

Notice I said mentioned ^^^. Not that anyone else is a serious threat.... 😇

Thanks for the info! Do you think he'll announce this in person then? I only ask because I'm a little confused as to how all those variables would impact him sending out a tweet (i guess maybe he didn't want to be bombarded with all the media during holidays/travel?)

5 hours ago, CoachSS said:

Could be later January. 

After about 2-3 weeks ago, it was never going to happen in December or early January. Too many variables with family, holidays, outrageous travel. 

Patience is a virtue. 

This past weekend I was told, from someone who speaks with his Dad very, very regularly that he has eliminated a school that is mentioned regularly. 

Notice I said mentioned ^^^. Not that anyone else is a serious threat.... 😇

My guess is...

Mon, Jan 21 5 p.m. No. 6 La Lumiere (Ind.) vs. No. 5 DeMatha Catholic (Md.) ESPNU

30 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I'll take that bet. He's already playing and contributing and Archie is on record about liking his progress.

Keion likely comes and I hope that finishes the class. If we take a 4th, something went wrong.

If we take a fourth, it doesn’t mean something went wrong.  If you can upgrade your roster, why wouldn’t you?  If a kid isn’t going to get much playing time and can go somewhere else and get a lot more minutes, why wouldn’t he?  I don’t want to see the amount of transfers that we did under Crean, but transfers can be good for both parties.

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

The only time I would ever say I "hope" a player transfers is if the player is getting a vibe the staff doesn't feel like they will make a serious contribution. I'd hate to see talented kids end up like a Priller and see a couple minutes here and there (if they're lucky) when instead, they could be of more value at another program. If the staff continues to recruit this well, I don't think it indicates a program or player failure, but rather the unfortunate reality that not all kids can live up to such high expectations. 

14 minutes ago, Hoosierdave said:

The only time I would ever say I "hope" a player transfers is if the player is getting a vibe the staff doesn't feel like they will make a serious contribution. I'd hate to see talented kids end up like a Priller and see a couple minutes here and there (if they're lucky) when instead, they could be of more value at another program. If the staff continues to recruit this well, I don't think it indicates a program or player failure, but rather the unfortunate reality that not all kids can live up to such high expectations. 

Talented kids don't end up like Priller. Priller had no motivation.  Look at his body type during his tenure at IU.  Priller was perfectly content if he never played.

23 minutes ago, BDB said:

Talented kids don't end up like Priller. Priller had no motivation.  Look at his body type during his tenure at IU.  Priller was perfectly content if he never played.

But Priller could have played elsewhere.....he was just content to ride the pine at IU.

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

He'll be behind TJD, Deron, Justin, and probably Race next season.  He may be behind Jake by that point.  If you're going to give him minutes you have to take them away from someone else.  Who sits in his place?

19 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

He'll be behind TJD, Deron, Justin, and probably Race next season.  He may be behind Jake by that point.  If you're going to give him minutes you have to take them away from someone else.  Who sits in his place?

He plays a different role than most of those kids.  I see him sharing minutes with TJD and De'Ron. He may spend his career as a reserve but he could possibly net 10-15 minutes a game.  What I see on the floor and what I hear coming from Archie's mouth makes me believe he'll get minutes.

38 minutes ago, BDB said:

In a situation like that, that's why I say in some scenarios I "hope" that a player transfers. Pretty much a waste of a scholarship. He could have gone somewhere else and contributed far more.

Despite this roster not having a priller/gelon type player, some talented kids are going to inevitably end up like them. If we're trying to consistently land elite players like Duke/Kentucky, you're gonna have the Chase Jeters and Jordan Tuckers of the world transfer, because Archie isn't going to play all 13 guys. 

1 hour ago, Hoosierdave said:

I don't completely disagree with this, but if Archie develops talent like I think he's capable of, I expect his juniors and seniors will be contributors. If they don't put forth the effort, I'd agree they'll likely be shown the door. I just don't see that from the current roster. 

25 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I don't completely disagree with this, but if Archie develops talent like I think he's capable of, I expect his juniors and seniors will be contributors. If they don't put forth the effort, I'd agree they'll likely be shown the door. I just don't see that from the current roster. 

I agree with ya, but at some point in time with certain players...they want more PT.  Think Chris Lawson.  The kid could play, he just couldn't get into IU's rotation at a time when Knight was stocking up on recruit after recruit.  Had a nice couple of years at Vandy.

3 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Just because some one leaves does not mean something went wrong.  There are more than 700 transfers a year for various reasons and most have to do with lack of playing time.

After watching some highlights of TJD I don't think it is a forgone conclusion he will come in and start right away.  I know it is just highlights but he looks very lost on defense or is not putting much effort into it. I saw many times he was barley at half court when the other team was scoring on a fast break.  I was expecting someone who would be going after every rebound and dominating the boards but that wasn't the case. 

If Davis comes back with a great off season and is healthy I see him starting as a senior over a freshman.  Also if Smith and Hunter comes back string and improved their game the could be in the starting frontcourt.

4 hours ago, IU Scott said:

After watching some highlights of TJD I don't think it is a forgone conclusion he will come in and start right away.  I know it is just highlights but he looks very lost on defense or is not putting much effort into it. I saw many times he was barley at half court when the other team was scoring on a fast break.  I was expecting someone who would be going after every rebound and dominating the boards but that wasn't the case. 

If Davis comes back with a great off season and is healthy I see him starting as a senior over a freshman.  Also if Smith and Hunter comes back string and improved their game the could be in the starting frontcourt.

This is ideal for me. A Five star or two playing important rolls off the bench as frosh.

Defense nor effort will be an issue with the kid.  He plays hard, but CAM wouldn’t tolerate it either way.  IMO, if TJD can come in and pick up the systems fairly quickly, I see him starting, and it’s not a knock on Davis.  He’s a lot more versatile on offense, with the ability to stretch the floor, and he’s a lot quicker, agile, and is a lot more athletic on the defensive side of the ball.  I love what Deron has brought to the team this year after his injury last year, but I believe TJD is a better fit for what CAM is trying to do in terms of style.

So we want to give the death penalty to our program again for a parking ticket? 5 stars come. They start. 

46 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

So we want to give the death penalty to our program again for a parking ticket? 5 stars come. They start. 

Not all time just look at UNC and Villanova this year.  I am not saying he won't start but I don't think it is a for gone conclusion that he will automatically come I and start right away.

Archived