2019 MLB Discussion

rico

17 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I hope so to, but if like to see another 21-6 run to convince me...

Yes he is....333 and hitting with some pop.

Just was telling my friends. I won't let my foot off the pedal until 18 above .500....or 6-7 game lead in division. Which is what we should already be at. 

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Just was telling my friends. I won't let my foot off the pedal until 18 above .500....or 6-7 game lead in division. Which is what we should already be at. 

We shall see how they fare against the Reds starting tonight.

46 minutes ago, rico said:

We shall see how they fare against the Reds starting tonight.

Tonight's really important for Cubs against obviously good pitcher in Castillo because tomorrow we have Alec Mills going (season debut) followed by Darvish who hasn't won at Wrigley yet. These matchups from our side aren't our best. Temps and heat are up. Bats will have to carry us.

7 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Tonight's really important for Cubs against obviously good pitcher in Castillo because tomorrow we have Alec Mills going (season debut) followed by Darvish who hasn't won at Wrigley yet. These matchups from our side aren't our best. Temps and heat are up. Bats will have to carry us.

Who are the Reds throwing the next 2?

5 minutes ago, rico said:

That was a fine read on Marty...I wish they would have touched on the "Elvis problem" from quite a few years back.

The Elvis thing was always funny to me. That's what happens when a team is losing and people including Marge think they have all the answers. Just win and that stuff is a joke not distraction. 

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

The Elvis thing was always funny to me. That's what happens when a team is losing and people including Marge think they have all the answers. Just win and that stuff is a joke not distraction. 

It was funny but it pissed Marty off...LOL

2 minutes ago, rico said:

To be honest, Marty ragged on a lot of different players including some that wore a Reds uniform.

Oh I know. But I think he rags on Sandberg to protect Joe Morgan's legacy as the best second baseman in modern NL history.

Both are great players. Needn't run one down to elevate the other.

11 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Oh I know. But I think he rags on Sandberg to protect Joe Morgan's legacy as the best second baseman in modern NL history.

Yep. All day long. That's the part Marty won't ever understand. His goal was so easy to see. It be like us saying because Morgan played on astroturf he didn't have to be a good 2B because the balls bounced into his glove. Haha.

37 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Oh absolutely....

On a side note, IMO had the Astros played Biggio at 2nd his entire career he would have been the greatest 2nd baseman of the modern era.

15 minutes ago, rico said:

Oh absolutely....

On a side note, IMO had the Astros played Biggio at 2nd his entire career he would have been the greatest 2nd baseman of the modern era.

For my money, Sandberg bias aside, I gotta go with Robby Alomar. But it is an interesting notion about Biggio.

27 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

For my money, Sandberg bias aside, I gotta go with Robby Alomar. But it is an interesting notion about Biggio.

Alomar didn't win an MVP did he?  And I can't forget that spitting incident.

6 minutes ago, rico said:

Alomar didn't win an MVP did he?  And I can't forget that spitting incident.

No, but he had more range than any other 2nd baseman I've ever seen, .300 career hitter, over 200 HRs, and an integral part of 2 World Series winners. 

I didn't like the spitting incident either.

26 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Rod Carew

Carew was a great hitter, but not much with the glove, and only 92 career HRs. 

He was a better 1st baseman

Hers an interesting note...

Every team in the NL is within 13 games of a playoff spot, and the Marlins, who are 13 games out of a wild card, are the only team with a double digit deficit. Every other team is with 6 games of a wild card.

Conversely, only 4 AL teams who are not currently leading their division or would be a wild card at the moment, are within 5 games of a playoff spot, and 5 team have a double digits deficit to overcome to grab one.

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Joe Morgan crushes Alomar and Sandberg in total WAR, though Sandberg has a big advantage defensively.

Robinson Cano, Lou Whitaker, and Bobby Grich actually have higher WAR than Alomar and Sandberg.

So your opinion is that Morgan is the best of the lot?  Or are you just telling us what the metrics say?

4 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Yep. All day long. That's the part Marty won't ever understand. His goal was so easy to see. It be like us saying because Morgan played on astroturf he didn't have to be a good 2B because the balls bounced into his glove. Haha.

Morgan was by far the better player and it is actually a lot easier to play defense on grass because it slows the ball down.  Chicago was known for letting their infield grass grow real thick to slow the ball down making it harder to get through the infield.

24 minutes ago, rico said:

So your opinion is that Morgan is the best of the lot?  Or are you just telling us what the metrics say?

If you are talking overall impact,  including baserunning when baserunning was important, it's Morgan and it's really not that  close.  If you want to single out defense, then Sandberg was a better defensive player.  

Archived