2019 MLB Discussion

rico

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

The 2 things I remember most about Browning are the perfect game and the gruesome arm injury. 

Trivia question. Who is the only catcher who was behind the plate for 2 perfect games?

I know the answer....

But back to Browning's perfect game.  I  actually listened to it on WLW.  IIRC Tim Belcher took a no-no into the 6th for LA.  Could have been the 7th?  But I believe the Reds only had 3 hits themselves and the run Cincy did scored was unearned.  And also believe Tom had a no-no going earlier in the year against the Pads that was broken up by Tony Gwynn in the 9th.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
53 minutes ago, rico said:

I know the answer....

But back to Browning's perfect game.  I  actually listened to it on WLW.  IIRC Tim Belcher took a no-no into the 6th for LA.  Could have been the 7th?  But I believe the Reds only had 3 hits themselves and the run Cincy did scored was unearned.  And also believe Tom had a no-no going earlier in the year against the Pads that was broken up by Tony Gwynn in the 9th.

If I remember correctly the game started pretty late because of a long rain delay

1 hour ago, rico said:

I know the answer....

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Wow. Good one. I won't spoil. Knowing an answer like that will win me a radio contest someday.

10 years apart, no less. A journeyman's claim to fame.

14 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Heard a great stat during the Reds game Ted Kluszewski of the Reds in 1956 hit 35 homeruns but only struck out 31 times while walking 49 times.  In a 4 year stretch he hit 171 home runs and only struck out 140 times.

The time they misspelled his name on his jersey...And Ted liked to show off the guns...

Screenshot_20190707-131507_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20190707-131540_Chrome.jpg

So, a good chuckle for all you Reds and Cards fans...

The first game I ever went to was Labor Day, 1968 at old Crosley Field in Cincinnati. Cards and Reds. Bob Gibson vs Gary Nolan (a very underrated pitcher). All zeros through 9. "The Phantom" hit a solo homer in the top of the 10th off Ted Abernathy, and Gibson made it stand up in the bottom of the 10th. What a great first game to attend...

And I'd never seen grass so green...

The Reds bullpen is starting to implode with them giving up 13 runs the last two games.  I think they are totally spent and that is because our brilliant manager just over uses the pen.  When you don't allow your pitches to go past 5 or 6 inning it will eventually catch up to you.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

The Reds bullpen is starting to implode with them giving up 13 runs the last two games.  I think they are totally spent and that is because our brilliant manager just over uses the pen.  When you don't allow your pitches to go past 5 or 6 inning it will eventually catch up to you.

TBH, I completely agree with you Scott.

22 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

O-fer with RISP....again. No clue on stats but we have to be one of the worst RISP teams out there. Or at least it feels like it. Oh well. All Star Break is here. Much needed break!

The last I saw the Cubbies were 24th in MLB in BA with RISP.  That was back a couple of weeks ago.

If you purchase tickets from a third party vendor please be cautious of Vivid Seats!!!!!!!!!!!! 

We purchased tickets for the Reds vs Cubs game for June 29th for a 4:10 start. Arrived at 2:15 and found out that our tickets were not valid. After spending almost 2 hours with customer service and with Vivid on the phone the Reds box office gave us 3 standing room only seats just to get us in the ball park. We finally got inside during the bottom of the 3rd inning.  Meanwhile Vivid decided to email me 3 replacement tickets that were much worse than our original tickets. Once inside not only were the new tickets terrible someone else had purchased those exact seats from Vivid!! 

After spending a total of 2.5 hours on the phone with customer service requesting a refund we are now beginning the 3rd investigation into the matter because apparently the first 2 investigations were conducted in the post event category and not in the invalid seat category!!

At this point I am not expecting a refund but I will do everything in my power to make sure all know that VIVID Seats will not stand behind their product!!!!!  PS I need 3 for the July 15th game in Chicago, Have a great day!!

Vivid seats suck!!!!!!!!!!! 😀

6 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

O-fer with RISP....again. No clue on stats but we have to be one of the worst RISP teams out there. Or at least it feels like it. Oh well. All Star Break is here. Much needed break!

Man if I didn't know who you were talking about, it sounds a lot like the Yankees. They were bad about it......

17 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

If you purchase tickets from a third party vendor please be cautious of Vivid Seats!!!!!!!!!!!! 

We purchased tickets for the Reds vs Cubs game for June 29th for a 4:10 start. Arrived at 2:15 and found out that our tickets were not valid. After spending almost 2 hours with customer service and with Vivid on the phone the Reds box office gave us 3 standing room only seats just to get us in the ball park. We finally got inside during the bottom of the 3rd inning.  Meanwhile Vivid decided to email me 3 replacement tickets that were much worse than our original tickets. Once inside not only were the new tickets terrible someone else had purchased those exact seats from Vivid!! 

After spending a total of 2.5 hours on the phone with customer service requesting a refund we are now beginning the 3rd investigation into the matter because apparently the first 2 investigations were conducted in the post event category and not in the invalid seat category!!

At this point I am not expecting a refund but I will do everything in my power to make sure all know that VIVID Seats will not stand behind their product!!!!!  PS I need 3 for the July 15th game in Chicago, Have a great day!!

Thanks for the heads up. Good reason why I use stub hub.....

7 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Man if I didn't know who you were talking about, it sounds a lot like the Yankees. They were bad about it......

Thanks for the heads up. Good reason why I use stub hub.....

I told them to just give me tix to the game in Chicago and we would call it even but they said no. Now its time for them to pay the piper. 

29 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I told them to just give me tix to the game in Chicago and we would call it even but they said no. Now its time for them to pay the piper. 

Well, you ain't gonna get squat at Wrigley.  Regardless you made me aware of something that I did not know.  Best of luck in your "vendetta."  Fry them.

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

Darn man. Go with Stub Hub or others when you head up to Cubs game. Reminder I think all Cubs tickets are paperless now. All app or email I believe.

Archived