2019 MLB Discussion

rico

32 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

The media sharks in Chicago are starting to circle Joe Maddon.

My guess is that if the Cubs continue this downward spiral, he'll be gone before the end of July. The reports of locker room lethargy are particularly disturbing.

We're definitely not getting our $6 million dollars worth this year.

It's weird. The usual guys are certainly circling Maddon....but finally for the first time in years this group of players is getting more heat.

Finally I say. Guys on the Score, Kap,etc...have finally started turning their narrative around and are saying they understand why Maddon is trying so many things. These players are lifeless, they make routine errors each night on paths, don't do the the little things whatsoever, can't hit with risp....I could go on and on. 

Had a buddy text me this idea just now. Maybe missing the playoffs isn't such a bad idea this year so it gives Theo time to build it back up while he's under contract. Haha. 

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I should also add this regarding Cubs. Much easier to get rid of one guy (Maddon) instead of a dozen or so players. I don't think anything is off the table at this point. Nor should it be. 

When they didn't offer Maddon a contract extension in the off season, I kinda thought he'd be on thin ice.

Just an opinion here, but I think Maddon is much better with younger, unproven players. That's what I see from his Tampa days, and the early time with the Cubs.

Some managers are like that. Some, like Joe Girardi (and that's not a "wish list" comment) are better with a veteran team. 

Whichever way it goes, someone, be it Maddon, a player, or a new face has to light a fire under this bunch. You can't just try to "turn it on" when you think you need to. Gotta be there every day.

7 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

When they didn't offer Maddon a contract extension in the off season, I kinda thought he'd be on thin ice.

Just an opinion here, but I think Maddon is much better with younger, unproven players. That's what I see from his Tampa days, and the early time with the Cubs.

Some managers are like that. Some, like Joe Girardi (and that's not a "wish list" comment) are better with a veteran team. 

Whichever way it goes, someone, be it Maddon, a player, or a new face has to light a fire under this bunch. You can't just try to "turn it on" when you think you need to. Gotta be there every day.

Agree on all. Especially the turn it on part. Our core guys seem to think they can do that because in 16 they got out to the incredible start....basically played .500 ball for a few months and flipped it back on in September. Sports are just crazy. No way any reasonable fan could see us here 45 days ago. Makes you curious to see what the next 45 will bring.

9 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

big come from behind win for the Reds last night winning 5-4 in 10.  This ended on a strange play where Inglesias single to right and Puig went to 3rd but Yellich throw back in went wild and Puig scored.

What will it take for the Reds to not have such bad attendance? They play fun baseball and it was a bummer to see so few fans there to see it. 

17 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

What will it take for the Reds to not have such bad attendance? They play fun baseball and it was a bummer to see so few fans there to see it. 

20 years of not having much success builds plenty of apathy....but this might be one of the better teams they've had in a looooong time. Does stink to see so few attend. On the flip side all my Cubs buddies are trying to unload tickets now for future dates to take advantage that there still is a resale market.

59 minutes ago, rico said:

I ship Russell out of Chicago.

I do too, especially with 2 middle infielders in the minors (Garcia AAA, and Hoerner AA, but just started rehabbing a fractured wrist) looking like they can play in The Show.

I wouldn't put Schwarber or Almora out there, as the writer indicated, just yet.

14 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I do too, especially with 2 middle infielders in the minors (Garcia AAA, and Hoerner AA, but just started rehabbing a fractured wrist) looking like they can play in The Show.

I wouldn't put Schwarber or Almora out there, as the writer indicated, just yet.

Garcia got called up today. You'll love the lineup tonight. Contreras in RF, No Bryant, and Russell starting....haha

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Garcia got called up today. You'll love the lineup tonight. Contreras in RF, No Bryant, and Russell starting....haha

Did Maddon pick his batting order out of a hat like Lasorda used to when the Dodgers were in a funk?

22 hours ago, btownqb said:

I'll be honest.. I'm a fair weather Reds fan. (Just enjoy the college game A LOT more)... but I enjoy Puig. 17 HRs 45 RBIs BA and OBP need to come up a little. He does have 13 SB this season (career high is 15). I just think he plays hard, I think he legitimately cares. 

Tonight.. 9th inning he tags from first on ball hit to center with 2 outs to get to 2nd. 

Then.. 11th inning he singles with 2 outs. Forces 3 throw overs.. Iglesias singles, Puig goes 1st to 3rd.. errant throw to cutoff, he hustles and scores. Love it. Game over Reds win. 

Btw I was typing this before the 11th inning play happened. 

Puig homers early. Then singles in the 7th and now has scored the last three runs for the Reds. He brings energy. 

Archived