2019 MLB Discussion

rico

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, btownqb said:

Puig homers early. Then singles in the 7th and now has scored the last three runs for the Reds. He brings energy. 

I like Puig.  As you said, he brings energy.  He has also been everything the Reds could have asked for as a teammate and a citizen.  

I just saw where Tommy LaStella has a fractured tibia. I feel bad for him. The Cubs wouldn't give him a chance to be a full time starter. I always thought after he "retired" rather than being demoted, he wore the Scarlett Letter as far as the Cubs were concerned. And we got nada for him.

So he goes to the Angels, is having a LaSteller year, makes the All-Star team, and this happens...that sucks.

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I just saw where Tommy LaStella has a fractured tibia. I feel bad for him. The Cubs wouldn't give him a chance to be a full time starter. I always thought after he "retired" rather than being demoted, he wore the Scarlett Letter as far as the Cubs were concerned. And we got nada for him.

So he goes to the Angels, is having a LaSteller year, makes the All-Star team, and this happens...that sucks.

I was watching the game when he did it.  Fouled the ball HARD right off his leg.  I've never seen anything like it at the plate.  You see the foot all the time, but even many of those are glancing blows off the bat.  LaStella's was almost like a line drive straight into the leg..  

15 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Garcia got called up today. You'll love the lineup tonight. Contreras in RF, No Bryant, and Russell starting....haha

So Contreras makes a great throw to nail a Pirate at the plate, but then fans on a catch (and the scorer gave Kang a double!?!?) that keys the Pirate rally, while the best right fielder in baseball sits on the bench.

Speechless.

Little things sometimes win, or lose, ballgames.

55 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

So Contreras makes a great throw to nail a Pirate at the plate, but then fans on a catch (and the scorer gave Kang a double!?!?) that keys the Pirate rally, while the best right fielder in baseball sits on the bench.

Speechless.

Yep, sometimes it is just the little things.

1 minute ago, rico said:

So are the Reds gonna be buyers or sellers?

I have a feeling they will be stand-patters.  They won't sell if they are in contention, yet they will be reluctant to buy because there are no really glaring holes, just stretches of under-performance and/or bad luck.

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I like Puig.  As you said, he brings energy.  He has also been everything the Reds could have asked for as a teammate and a citizen.  

Yeah absolutely. Idc about the fights.. doesn't bother me in the least bit. Zero chance I'd fight him though. 

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Speechless.

It's always the little things. 

6 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Yankee fans would disagree. Couldn't wait to run him out of town. Some players can't handle the pressure cooker of NYC.

As 'ol blue eyes would always sing after a Yankee win, If you can make it there, you can make it anywhere!

Well, either way, the Reds are glad to have him.  Gives a solid outing every time out, and last night was special.  

59 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Yankee fans would disagree. Couldn't wait to run him out of town. Some players can't handle the pressure cooker of NYC.

As 'ol blue eyes would always sing after a Yankee win, If you can make it there, you can make it anywhere!

15-16 as a Yankee starter and it just ain't good enough in the Bronx.

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Well, either way, the Reds are glad to have him.  Gives a solid outing every time out, and last night was special.  

I don't know if it has been brought up here but Derek Johnson, the Reds pitching coach, was also Sonny's pitching coach at Vandy.

7 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Speechless.

Heyward wasn't available yesterday or probably today. Injured hip. Bryant has knee issue too. 

Edit-Bryant in lineup today and goes yard on first pitch he sees.

29 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Was bad that they had the rain delay or he might had a complete game  I actually watched the game until the rain delay but went out to a cook out and found out they won

I believe he was under a hundred pitches?

15 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Heyward wasn't available yesterday or probably today. Injured hip. Bryant has knee issue too. 

Edit-Bryant in lineup today and goes yard on first pitch he sees.

Ok, I'll own that one. In these days of 13 man pitching staffs, and only 4 bench players, it's hard to imagine how difficult  it would be to manage if you've got guys banged up.

The Pirates need to knock off the high and tight stuff. They're either going to get someone hurt (Bote was lucky yesterday) by hitting someone, or starting a brawl.

Good to see Maddon get fired up yesterday. Hopefully, it's contagious.

9 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Ok, I'll own that one. In these days of 13 man pitching staffs, and only 4 bench players, it's hard to imagine how difficult  it would be to manage if you've got guys banged up.

The Pirates need to knock off the high and tight stuff. They're either going to get someone hurt (Bote was lucky yesterday) by hitting someone, or starting a brawl.

Good to see Maddon get fired up yesterday. Hopefully, it's contagious.

Maddon said afterwards the Pirates are very well known for the high and up approach to pitching. His anger wasn't at Hurdle but at someone else but he basically said his source is really good that someone on the Pirates staff is coaching this philosophy. 

Glad to see the offense get going. Quintana allowed 3 or less runs for the 14th in 18 starts this season and I'm thinking Robel will be our everyday 2nd baseman soon enough. 

Archived