2019 MLB Discussion

rico

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

I would do any of these scenarios in a heartbeat. I guess though I'd rather figure a way to move some of the bodies we have i.e. Russell, Almora or whoever....guys who just aren't going to be full time guys. Maybe provide a more definite lineup if possible. 

Russell, Almora, Happ, Bote, and even Schwarber...Merrifield is a commodity.

7 hours ago, rico said:

Russell, Almora, Happ, Bote, and even Schwarber...Merrifield is a commodity.

I'm not ready to give up on Almora or Schwarber yet.

The Cubs have a glut of middle infielders. So I can see a package of say, Russell, Happ, and a minor league pitcher.

No way, at this point, I get rid of Alzolay. I think he's got above average stuff, and our pitching staff is getting long in the tooth, with not a lot of immediate help coming. We've got some kids in the low minors that have great arms, but in the next couple of years, I think we're hurting for starting pitching.

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I'm not ready to give up on Almora or Schwarber yet.

The Cubs have a glut of middle infielders. So I can see a package of say, Russell, Happ, and a minor league pitcher.

No way, at this point, I get rid of Alzolay. I think he's got above average stuff, and our pitching staff is getting long in the tooth, with not a lot of immediate help coming. We've got some kids in the low minors that have great arms, but in the next couple of years, I think we're hurting for starting pitching.

That is fine and I understand.  I think the Royals would be happy getting major league starters.  I would give them Russell, Bote, and Happ.  

While I have some modicum of sympathy for addicts of any kind, after watching "Doc and Daryl" coupled with this latest episode, my  pity for Dwight Gooden is all but gone.

A lot of people beat addiction. Strawberry seems to have his life straightened out. In my experience, and believe me, I do have some experience in this, only the totally selfish hang on to the notion that their addiction is "not a problem."

Two men who wasted HOF careers, but only one (so far) who has salvaged his life.

28 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

While I have some modicum of sympathy for addicts of any kind, after watching "Doc and Daryl" coupled with this latest episode, my  pity for Dwight Gooden is all but gone.

A lot of people beat addiction. Strawberry seems to have his life straightened out. In my experience, and believe me, I do have some experience in this, only the totally selfish hang on to the notion that their addiction is "not a problem."

Two men who wasted HOF careers, but only one (so far) who has salvaged his life.

A truly "recovered" alcoholic will be the first to admit there is no such thing as a "recovered alcoholic".

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Angels throw a no-hitter on a night where Tyler Skaggs was honored in the first home game after his death.  Tyler's mom threw out the first pitch. 

Coincidence?  Or, divine intervention?

One helluva story book ending to a tragic event.

59 minutes ago, rico said:

Oh man.  Sorry to hear this.  My Dad's favorite player of all-time.  Hang in there Bob...

I remember reading "From Ghetto to Glory" when I was a kid. Gibson thought about going to IU to play basketball (he eventually played hoops at Creighton, and for the Harlem Globetrotters) but McCracken told him they had reached their quota of black players (same story Oscar Robertson got).

23 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I remember reading "From Ghetto to Glory" when I was a kid. Gibson thought about going to IU to play basketball (he eventually played hoops at Creighton, and for the Harlem Globetrotters) but McCracken told him they had reached their quota of black players (same story Oscar Robertson got).

TY, I never knew he played college basketball...dang, 44 games...career 19.9 ppg.

29 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Break might have been the best thing for the Cubs. Plus some warm temps. Bats are hot. Couple innings away from sweeping Pirates after their up and in fest last week. Reds next. Hopefully time for a little payback vs them too.

Garcia looking great.

53 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Break might have been the best thing for the Cubs. Plus some warm temps. Bats are hot. Couple innings away from sweeping Pirates after their up and in fest last week. Reds next. Hopefully time for a little payback vs them too.

I hope so to, but if like to see another 21-6 run to convince me...

24 minutes ago, rico said:

Garcia looking great.

Yes he is....333 and hitting with some pop.

Archived