2019 MLB Discussion

rico

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, btownqb said:

HR Derby is excellent entertainment. 

Yeah it was...as impressive as Alonzo and Gurerro Jr were, if I had to start a team today, Ronald Acuna Jr would be my pick.

Talk about power to all fields...he was going deep foul pole to foul pole.

And he hasn't even grown into his body yet...I think Mike Trout has an heir apparent to "best player in baseball." 

4 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Yeah it was...as impressive as Alonzo and Gurerro Jr were, if I had to start a team today, Ronald Acuna Jr would be my pick.

Talk about power to all fields...he was going deep foul pole to foul pole.

And he hasn't even grown into his body yet...I think Mike Trout has an heir apparent to "best player in baseball." 

I want Vald Jr, Harper, Schwarber, and Puig in the HR derby. Itd be incredible. 

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

I want Vald Jr, Harper, Schwarber, and Puig in the HR derby. Itd be incredible. 

Speaking of Puig.  Barring injury, he should easily surpass his career highs in both HRs and RBIs this year.

Not a big fan of much of what Colin Cowherd says, and haven't watched an All-Star game for over 30 years. However, CC made some interesting points about last night's game, and baseball in general.

He alluded to the thought that baseball suffers from "lack of activity." Again, did not watch last night, but he said that 16 of the 27 outs made by the National League were via strikeout. He said two other outs were "ropes" that should have been hits, but that defensive shifts made them putouts. 

He quoted stats about the record home run year that MLB is in the midst of. The stat that stood out most to me is that 60% of all the home runs hit this year are solo. That is the highest percentage in 100 years. 

Used these thoughts to support his argument. Bigger, stronger players swinging for the fences have turned baseball into a boom or bust sport. People are losing interest due to lack of activity. Gone are small ball concepts--bunts, moving players along, stolen bases, even hitting for singles and doubles. Makes the game less engaging when as a fan you either watch guys take their hacks then go sit, or occasionally jack one out.

With the popularity of the HR contest, I am sure this isn't going to change. However, I wonder what happens to viewership and attendance as the games become even more monotonous.

Finally, he made one last comment that will resonate here for those that have gotten involved in the sabremetric conversations about basketball. He likened what is happening in baseball to the basketball team that becomes overly reliant on the three point shot. Mentioned that it was of interest that Kahwi led Toronto to a championship when he decided to not just settle for three's, but instead, to play a more complete style of offense. Didn't watch any of the NBA playoffs, so I can't verify this, but is an interesting thought.

Used to love the All Star game. Never missed one probably up until whenever what's his face thought it was a good idea to have the All Star game determine home field advantage. Honestly I didn't even watch last night. Had no desire. This is coming from a pretty big baseball fan.

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Used to love the All Star game. Never missed one probably up until whenever what's his face thought it was a good idea to have the All Star game determine home field advantage. Honestly I didn't even watch last night. Had no desire. This is coming from a pretty big baseball fan.

Well you missed a pretty dang good game.

And for Steubby, that pitcher from the Twins has some nasty stuff.

5 minutes ago, rico said:

Well you missed a pretty dang good game.

And for Steubby, that pitcher from the Twins has some nasty stuff.

That's what I heard. I purposely didn't vote for Cubs to make the game because I wanted all of them to have 5 days off. Haha.

3 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Not a big fan of much of what Colin Cowherd says, and haven't watched an All-Star game for over 30 years. However, CC made some interesting points about last night's game, and baseball in general.

He alluded to the thought that baseball suffers from "lack of activity." Again, did not watch last night, but he said that 16 of the 27 outs made by the National League were via strikeout. He said two other outs were "ropes" that should have been hits, but that defensive shifts made them putouts. 

He quoted stats about the record home run year that MLB is in the midst of. The stat that stood out most to me is that 60% of all the home runs hit this year are solo. That is the highest percentage in 100 years. 

Used these thoughts to support his argument. Bigger, stronger players swinging for the fences have turned baseball into a boom or bust sport. People are losing interest due to lack of activity. Gone are small ball concepts--bunts, moving players along, stolen bases, even hitting for singles and doubles. Makes the game less engaging when as a fan you either watch guys take their hacks then go sit, or occasionally jack one out.

With the popularity of the HR contest, I am sure this isn't going to change. However, I wonder what happens to viewership and attendance as the games become even more monotonous.

Finally, he made one last comment that will resonate here for those that have gotten involved in the sabremetric conversations about basketball. He likened what is happening in baseball to the basketball team that becomes overly reliant on the three point shot. Mentioned that it was of interest that Kahwi led Toronto to a championship when he decided to not just settle for three's, but instead, to play a more complete style of offense. Didn't watch any of the NBA playoffs, so I can't verify this, but is an interesting thought.

I do miss the days when teams could score in a lot of different ways but today most runs are scored due to home runs.  To me this is why you see even the top teams go in slumps where they don't score many runs because if you face tough pitching you wont hit as many home runs.  I remember when guys like Larkin, Davis and Redus use to get on base for the Reds you knew they would try to steal a base.  You don't see as much use of speed in the game and to me it makes the game less enjoyable to watch.

I saw a stat last week when the announcers were taking about Ted Kluszewski where in a 4 year span he hit 171 home runs with only 141 walks.  Today there are many players who will strikeout more than 141 times in one year.  Also he had more walks that strikeouts in those years as well.

38 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I do miss the days when teams could score in a lot of different ways but today most runs are scored due to home runs.  To me this is why you see even the top teams go in slumps where they don't score many runs because if you face tough pitching you wont hit as many home runs.  I remember when guys like Larkin, Davis and Redus use to get on base for the Reds you knew they would try to steal a base.  You don't see as much use of speed in the game and to me it makes the game less enjoyable to watch.

I saw a stat last week when the announcers were taking about Ted Kluszewski where in a 4 year span he hit 171 home runs with only 141 walks.  Today there are many players who will strikeout more than 141 times in one year.  Also he had more walks that strikeouts in those years as well.

"Small ball" does not exist any more.  Chicks dig the long ball.

5 minutes ago, rico said:

That is MLB's problem.

This is proof that stats can lie Reds are a +27 in run differential and lead the league un runs scored in the first inning.  Also they lead the league in batting average in the 1st inning and have hit more home runs in the 1st inning as well.  These stats would make you think they would have a winning record and not be in last place.  The problem is that when they hit home runs they score a lot of runs but they are so inconsistent hitting that they go through long stretches where they can't score.

22 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

This is proof that stats can lie Reds are a +27 in run differential and lead the league un runs scored in the first inning.  Also they lead the league in batting average in the 1st inning and have hit more home runs in the 1st inning as well.  These stats would make you think they would have a winning record and not be in last place.  The problem is that when they hit home runs they score a lot of runs but they are so inconsistent hitting that they go through long stretches where they can't score.

First inning stats to me just shows coaches and players adjusting from the opposing team. Regarding run differential. Cubs are 9th in baseball and our offense when it counts sucks. 

2nd Half starting up. Next 2 weeks will be very, very important for plenty before trade deadline as well as whether teams are buyers or sellers. Heard an interesting rumor on radio yesterday. Cubs have been sniffing around Whit Merrifield. If the Royals are entertaining offers I'd get rid of 2-3 players, prospect and some cash if that meant he would be our everyday lead off guy until 2023 when his contract is up.

On 7/10/2019 at 1:18 PM, Steubenhoosier said:

Only quoting myself due to today's article. Baseball's attendance set to drop for the 4th straight year. 

The product on the field appears to be hurting the sport.

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

2nd Half starting up. Next 2 weeks will be very, very important for plenty before trade deadline as well as whether teams are buyers or sellers. Heard an interesting rumor on radio yesterday. Cubs have been sniffing around Whit Merrifield. If the Royals are entertaining offers I'd get rid of 2-3 players, prospect and some cash if that meant he would be our everyday lead off guy until 2023 when his contract is up.

I saw 2 scenarios on this...one offering Hoerner, Caratini, and a minor league pitcher for Merrifield and Martin Maldonado.

The other, straight up for Alzolay. Not sure about either one of those. 

And I'm sure the Royals' asking price will be high, simply because if the reasonable contract and being under team control through 2023.

52 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I saw 2 scenarios on this...one offering Hoerner, Caratini, and a minor league pitcher for Merrifield and Martin Maldonado.

The other, straight up for Alzolay. Not sure about either one of those. 

And I'm sure the Royals' asking price will be high, simply because if the reasonable contract and being under team control through 2023.

I would do any of these scenarios in a heartbeat. I guess though I'd rather figure a way to move some of the bodies we have i.e. Russell, Almora or whoever....guys who just aren't going to be full time guys. Maybe provide a more definite lineup if possible. 

Archived