2019 MLB Discussion

rico

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I had to google to find out. Average number of pitches per game is 146. Just seemed odd when I was looking at box scores this morning that both Yankees and Red Sox had pitch counts of 214 and 208 yesterday. Just don't remember a time where both teams were over 200.

13 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Negative ghost rider. I like Maddon. Some of our finest who question one of the elite managers of our time are the one's you should question.

I, too, like Maddon, I’m just not ready to break out the anointing oil for St Joe just yet. Do I think he’s a good manager? Yes. Do I think he’s “one of the elite managers of our time”? No  

He’s had success at 2 places, sure. But he’s under-achieved with this team the last 2 years. Managers do have a shelf life with a particular team, and if things don’t improve this year, I think Joe has reached his with the Cubs.

Hey, great managers get canned all the time. Look at Terry Francona. His resume is better than Maddon’s and he got the axe. LaRussa, Sparky Anderson.

It’s one of the hazards of the job.

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I, too, like Maddon, I’m just not ready to break out the anointing oil for St Joe just yet. Do I think he’s a good manager? Yes. Do I think he’s “one of the elite managers of our time”? No  

He’s had success at 2 places, sure. But he’s under-achieved with this team the last 2 years. Managers do have a shelf life with a particular team, and if things don’t improve this year, I think Joe has reached his with the Cubs.

Hey, great managers get canned all the time. Look at Terry Francona. His resume is better than Maddon’s and he got the axe. LaRussa, Sparky Anderson.

It’s one of the hazards of the job.

Just my two cents but what he did at Tampa with a payroll of $20M going up against Red Sox, Yankees,etc.....made him elite. Winning a World Series for us took it to another level in my opinion.

Regarding baseball. Cubs need a win today to get 15-14 for the month. Under Maddon Cubs have had only 2 losing months since start of 2015. Hopefully we avoid the 3rd today. 

4 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

So I had to google to find out. Average number of pitches per game is 146. Just seemed odd when I was looking at box scores this morning that both Yankees and Red Sox had pitch counts of 214 and 208 yesterday. Just don't remember a time where both teams were over 200.

The other day in the Reds and Brewers game the total amount of pitches was over 500.  Both starters in that game had over 75 pitches through 3 innings.

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

The other day in the Reds and Brewers game the total amount of pitches was over 500.  Both starters in that game had over 75 pitches through 3 innings.

Wow. Didn't realize that!

Hat tip to Reds for taking series. 6-3 record vs Cubs this year. Cubs have some serious issues going on in that clubhouse. No offense to the Reds fans on here but we shouldn't be 3-6 vs them. Ever. Oh well. The beat off brigade known as the Cubs right now marches on to Pittsburgh!

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Wow. Didn't realize that!

Hat tip to Reds for taking series. 6-3 record vs Cubs this year. Cubs have some serious issues going on in that clubhouse. No offense to the Reds fans on here but we shouldn't be 3-6 vs them. Ever. Oh well. The beat off brigade known as the Cubs right now marches on to Pittsburgh!

Best picture of the day was watching all of those obnoxious Cubs fans leaving after the Reds scored 4 runs in the 8th inning

Spot of tea anyone? The Yanks took 2 from the Sawks and while I should be giddy, I'm not. The pitching was atrocious to say the least. Boone needs to have a "Come to Jesus" with the entire pitching staff. Yanks now will have a 4 game set @ Tampa next week. Hoping they don't have jet lag.

Anyways, Cards and Cubs fans will have their teams in London next year!

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Best picture of the day was watching all of those obnoxious Cubs fans leaving after the Reds scored 4 runs in the 8th inning

Some of you Reds fans are very little brother. Be happy your last place team continues to beat the Cubs and leave it at that. Sounds almost Purdue like. 

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

Some of you Reds fans are very little brother. Be happy your last place team continues to beat the Cubs and leave it at that. Sounds almost Purdue like. 

See comments like these are why many people hate the Cubs and not their actual organization.  You guys got a big head complex because you have been good for 5 years but forget you were pretty much a laughing stock for 109 years.  Reds fans are not like Purdue fans since the Reds have championships where Purdue has none.  It is funny you are talking smack when the Reds have 5 world series rings and the Cubs have 3.

45 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

See comments like these are why many people hate the Cubs and not their actual organization.  You guys got a big head complex because you have been good for 5 years but forget you were pretty much a laughing stock for 109 years.  Reds fans are not like Purdue fans since the Reds have championships where Purdue has none.  It is funny you are talking smack when the Reds have 5 world series rings and the Cubs have 3.

You know Scott, all you ever do on this board is complain about and try to belittle other fans. Fans from Rivals, fans from teams you don't like, and even the guy in the Luke Brown thread. Who made you the Gatekeeper of IU Fandom, anyway?

I've not seen any Cub fans on this board belittle the Reds or any other team before you made the snide comment 

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

You wanna see obnoxious, buddy? Look in the mirror...

36 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Cool. We talked last week or week before about keeping it civil. I thought we as Cubs fans have always kept our comments to ourselves about the Reds, their organization and tried to promote a level of conversation on this board and keeping it light. You seem to be the only one who wants a back and forth tennis match on comments.  I'll repeat. Tip the cap to the Reds players. I'll also repeat....no way the Cubs should go 3-6 vs the Reds in the year 2019. 

I'll also repeat what I said....specifically to you Scott. Very little brother behavior. You might not be little brother but your actions and dialogue seem little brother. No big deal. We as Cubs fans know exactly where our place in history is. Both good and bad. 

One of favorite days of the year! Bobby Bonilla Day is here! Today he receives his 9th payment of $1.1 M and he gets another 16 (every July 1st) thru 2035 to satisfy an original debt of $5.9M Mets owed him in 2000. Guess we can say thank you to Bernie Madoff for at least this one thing. 

Should add Bruce Sutter gets his $ today too. 

14 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Unlike the Reds, Purdue is at least competitive year in year out though. Reds haven’t been good for a long time. 

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

One of favorite days of the year! Bobby Bonilla Day is here! Today he receives his 9th payment of $1.1 M and he gets another 16 (every July 1st) thru 2035 to satisfy an original debt of $5.9M Mets owed him in 2000. Guess we can say thank you to Bernie Madoff for at least this one thing. 

Should add Bruce Sutter gets his $ today too. 

Love Bobby Bonilla day. I’m sure he always loves July 1st. 

4 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Unlike the Reds, Purdue is at least competitive year in year out though. Reds haven’t been good for a long time. 

They made the playoffs in 11,12 and 14 or something like that because I know it was 3 in 4 years.

5 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

10, 12, and 13. Before that, they had only made the playoffs 3 times since 1979. 

Well in the strike shorten season of 81 the Reds got screwed because they had the over all best record in the  National league but did not make the playoffs.  They had two half seasons that year and the Reds finished 2nd in both halves but overall they had the best record.  They only took the winners of both halves that year so they could had another title that year but got hosed.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Well in the strike shorten season of 81 the Reds got screwed because they had the over all best record in the  National league but did not make the playoffs.  They had two half seasons that year and the Reds finished 2nd in both halves but overall they had the best record.  They only took the winners of both halves that year so they could had another title that year but got hosed.

Ironically, the Cards had the second best record in all of baseball and didn't make the play-offs.

2 hours ago, rico said:

Ironically, the Cards had the second best record in all of baseball and didn't make the play-offs.

did not realize that and I heard someone talking about that season and the Reds the other day.  This is a big week for the Reds with 4 at home against the Brewers and 2 against the Indians at home.

47 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

did not realize that and I heard someone talking about that season and the Reds the other day.  This is a big week for the Reds with 4 at home against the Brewers and 2 against the Indians at home.

Yes, 1981 was a very unfair year to the Reds and Cardinals.

Be real nice to take 3 out of 4 from the Brewers and sweep the Tribe.

Archived