NBA Thread

8 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

NBA is going to lose young fans if people buy tickets to games and the players they go to watch don't play.

I personally am sweating out a legit injury circumstance.  My 13 year old daughter is a big GS fan, specifically Curry and Thompson.  She put in a request last year for tickets to a Pacers/Warriors game, but the Warriors had already made their trip to Indy.

I told her I would make it a Christmas present for this season.  Since that time, Klay goes down in the playoffs with an ACL.  Good news when the schedule came out and the game in Indy is in March, so we thought Klay may have had a chance to be back.  But, even if he was out,  at the time we still had Curry.

So, I bought the tickets the day they went on sale.  Shortly after, we find out Klay most likely will not be back, the Warriors suck, and now Curry goes down.  

Her position now is, since Klay won't be playing, if Curry doesn't, she does not even want to go.  Problem is, even if Curry is back, the Warriors will likely be giving him 'rest' days periodically since there is very likely no playoff implications to worry about.

It sucks for young fans, but at least in my case, these are legit injuries.  If I bought my daughter tickets for the one game she wanted more than anything, only to have her favorite players to sit for 'rest', I would be beyond pissed.

Also if they lose the young fans then they are in trouble because I think the demographic that that is really into the NBA falls between 15-35 years old.  I feel like the nBA has lost some fans that are my age or older through the years so they can't afford to lose the younger generation.

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Maybe not to today's standards but he is compared to an MJ and the guys that played all 82 games back then.  Also today's NBA is not as physical  and grinding as it were back then so it should be easier to play most games.

Scott I know you love the past lol but there is absolutely no one else in the world who would call Kawhi soft, in any era, with a straight face. Come on now, the guy is a defensive monster, he has shut down every player in the game including LBJ. He is a beast. 

Do think it’s about money and protecting the investment. 

2 hours ago, rico said:

Still, 24 weeks+ to play 82 games.

It's not as easy as it sounds. There are a ton of complications that go into making an NBA schedule. Not every team owns their arena. Some teams share with NHL teams. There are concerts and other events that the venue host to work around, etc. Just one example is the Spurs, their arena hosts some sort of carnival every year and the Spurs have to go on a 2 week+ road trip. 

A lot of balls in the air to juggle when putting these things together. 

27 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Scott I know you love the past lol but there is absolutely no one else in the world who would call Kawhi soft, in any era, with a straight face. Come on now, the guy is a defensive monster, he has shut down every player in the game including LBJ. He is a beast. 

Do think it’s about money and protecting the investment. 

He did miss most of one year with a calf injury

9 minutes ago, BGleas said:

It's not as easy as it sounds. There are a ton of complications that go into making an NBA schedule. Not every team owns their arena. Some teams share with NHL teams. There are concerts and other events that the venue host to work around, etc. Just one example is the Spurs, their arena hosts some sort of carnival every year and the Spurs have to go on a 2 week+ road trip. 

I think San Antonio has a rodeo every year

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

So that is why there are back-to-backs?  Nah.  They need better "bean counters" in the NBA.

45 minutes ago, rico said:

So that is why there are back-to-backs?  Nah.  They need better "bean counters" in the NBA.

Yeah, that is a reason why. You're scheduling 82 games for 30 different teams, in 28 different cities with 29 different arenas. It's not like these arena's are only used for the NBA, some of them aren't even owned by NBA teams. The Bruins own the Celtics arena, so the Bruins have first dibs on all scheduling, not just their games, but scheduling concerts, shows, etc. You have to work with every team, every arena, the league office, etc. I'm not sure who owns the Staples Center, but not only do you have to schedule around the Lakers and Clippers, but also the LA Kings and it's a major concert/event venue. Madison Square Garden is a major concert, fight and event venue, etc. 

I worked with the guy that does it for the Celtics, he would be pulling his hair out for weeks when it was scheduling time. It's a logistical nightmare. I'm sure that's not the 100% only reason there are back-to-backs but it's one of the reasons, absolutely. 

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Yeah, that is a reason why. You're scheduling 82 games for 30 different teams, in 28 different cities with 29 different arenas. It's not like these arena's are only used for the NBA, some of them aren't even owned by NBA teams. The Bruins own the Celtics arena, so the Bruins have first dibs on all scheduling, not just their games, but scheduling concerts, shows, etc. You have to work with every team, every arena, the league office, etc. I'm not sure who owns the Staples Center, but not only do you have to schedule around the Lakers and Clippers, but also the LA Kings and it's a major concert/event venue. Madison Square Garden is a major concert, fight and event venue, etc. 

I worked with the guy that does it for the Celtics, he would be pulling his hair out for weeks when it was scheduling time. It's a logistical nightmare. I'm sure that's not the 100% only reason there are back-to-backs but it's one of the reasons, absolutely. 

I bet because it has to do with tv deals too and having games on specific nights for prime time etc. All I know is 80s and 90s and most of 00s the best players played night in and out unless they actually had an injury. Given the better nutrition, trainers, private planes etc do I think the current NBA players are softer...no doubt. Do I think they use their clout to threaten teams and get to the cities of their choice etc sure. That said it’s a much more complicated and richer league. Lots of people to satisfy and thus some of these situations are much more complicated. A lot riding on Kawai and the Clippers season and I can see why they are careful...ruin the relationship and it ends up like San Antonio and their ring disappears. 

5 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I bet because it has to do with tv deals too and having games on specific nights for prime time etc. All I know is 80s and 90s and most of 00s the best players played night in and out unless they actually had an injury. Given the better nutrition, trainers, private planes etc do I think the current NBA players are softer...no doubt. Do I think they use their clout to threaten teams and get to the cities of their choice etc sure. That said it’s a much more complicated and richer league. Lots of people to satisfy and thus some of these situations are much more complicated. A lot riding on Kawai and the Clippers season and I can see why they are careful...ruin the relationship and it ends up like San Antonio and their ring disappears. 

Great points! Yes, TV plays a large role in the scheduling as well, absolutely. 

Also, great point on the Clips/Kawhi. Doc and the Clippers pretty much lied and took a $50K fine just to keep Kawhi happy. Kawhi was mad that the league aired injury issues in their release, so Doc had to go and undermine the league knowing the league was going to fine them. Now $50K is couch change to Balmer, but the higher level point is that the Clippers had to knowingly say something they knew would get them a fine just to keep Kawhi happy. 

Edited by BGleas
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Well so be it.  But maybe, just maybe they better take a closer look at baseball example....

17 minutes ago, rico said:

Well so be it.  But maybe, just maybe they better take a closer look at baseball example....

I haven't looked this up, but I would guess that way more baseball teams own their stadiums vs. NBA teams. Also, most baseball teams, if not all, aren't competing with another in-season sport (NHL for the NBA) where some of the other sports teams actually own the playing venue. 

Edit: I'm not saying eliminating back-to-backs can't be done. Just saying the scheduling is no small task. It's really complicated and there are a ton of competing logistics. 

Edited by BGleas

17 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I haven't looked this up, but I would guess that way more baseball teams own their stadiums vs. NBA teams. Also, most baseball teams, if not all, aren't competing with another in-season sport (NHL for the NBA) where some of the other sports teams actually own the playing venue. 

Edit: I'm not saying eliminating back-to-backs can't be done. Just saying the scheduling is no small task. It's really complicated and there are a ton of competing logistics. 

Who cares about owning a stadium?  The fans don't.  Geez the Pacers could play in Fort Wayne and it would be a sell-out.  There are venues close by that would gladly take on an NBA game if their normal venue was "booked."

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Great points! Yes, TV plays a large role in the scheduling as well, absolutely. 

Also, great point on the Clips/Kawhi. Doc and the Clippers pretty much lied and took a $50K fine just to keep Kawhi happy. Kawhi was mad that the league aired injury issues in their release, so Doc had to go and undermine the league knowing the league was going to fine them. Now $50K is couch change to Balmer, but the higher level point is that the Clippers had to knowingly say something they knew would get them a fine just to keep Kawhi happy. 

Reading things like that just pisses me off.  Players like Kawhi should take a page from someone like Victor Oladipo in decorum.

What a prima donna...

4 hours ago, BGleas said:

I only looked up a handful, but the ones I looked up...

United Center and American Airlines Center (Dallas) are 50/50 jointly held between the basketball and hockey franchises.

Rose Garden, Scotiabank Centre and Madison Square Garden are held by their basketball tenants' corporate parent.

Barclay's Center, Toyota Center, Spectrum Center (Charlotte), AT&T Center (San Antonio), and American Airlines Arena (Miami) are owned by the local municipality.

TD Garden and Staples Center are owned by different corporations.

26 minutes ago, rico said:

Because scheduling in the NBA is mind numbing!

Here's how the NBA schedules games. They lock 10 monkeys in a room with 83 pounds of ripe bananas. The logos for each team are painted on the walls. As the monkeys start flinging poop at the walls, they record which logo it hits in order, and voila! NBA scheduling.

• Haha 1