NBA Thread

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

Serious question what teams can guard LeBron and Anthony Davis?

Clippers matchup very well. I’d give San Antonio a chance because of Pops. 76ers have a lot of size and length. Utah has Gobert on that back line. I think Milwaulkie has good length. Boston I think will make s move before the end of the year but they have a lot of guys to run at Lebron. The real question could be asked is will the Lakers defend, stay healthy, and have the scoring when Lebron and Davis sit. They have no depth and while they have a great combo they can’t sustain against the waves that Clippers will throw at them.

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

You left out the and LeBron part.  

That pick and roll game of those 2 is pretty though.  When it comes down to a possession or 2, everyone healthy,  all things clicking.  It's going to be interesting out west to watch it all unfold.  

Both teams healthy...Clippers by 10-12 by the time they even get to the final 5 minutes. They will win every facet of the game when one of the two sits. Leonard will limit Lebron and they have others to rotate on him like PG and others. Can lakers stop the clippers?? Uh we saw that answer. Clippers have Green and Zucic, and Harrell and Shamet and Harkless but most importantly...Lou Williams. Lakers have nobody like him that is instant offense when Lebron and AD sit.

Lakers will have issues in the playoffs. You get a hot Portland shooting team who has some size and length as well you get a Houston team that might be a buzz saw. Denver and Utah that come at you in waves. Pops scheming. You can scheme post season. Adjustments and shutting down two...Pops did it against Miami...you don’t think he can’t agaisnt the Lakers? Post season will be a big difference than regular season.

Edited by dgambill
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

You left out the and LeBron part.  

That pick and roll game of those 2 is pretty though.  When it comes down to a possession or 2, everyone healthy,  all things clicking.  It's going to be interesting out west to watch it all unfold.  

Absolutely. And Lakers haven't had Kuzma. 

But the Clips are better (imo). And haven't had PG, and handled the Lakers pretty well in the first meeting. Can't really take anything from a beat down of an awful, rebuilding Grizz team. 

I've always been really high on AD's game -- he's right there in the top 2-3 player discussion. But also have to wait and see on his health, he's injured almost every year, and he's already having issues (again) with shoulder soreness. 

Another thing to watch at mid-season is if the Lakers pull off getting Igoudala. They're already talking about it (you know, how they talked about how they were getting PG, etc.). They might, Ig is not staying in Memphis.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Both teams healthy...Clippers by 10-12 by the time they even get to the final 5 minutes. They will win every facet of the game when one of the two sits. Leonard will limit Lebron and they have others to rotate on him like PG and others. Can lakers stop the clippers?? Uh we saw that answer. Clippers have Green and Zucic, and Harrell and Shamet and Harkless but most importantly...Lou Williams. Lakers have nobody like him that is instant offense when Lebron and AD sit.

Lakers will have issues in the playoffs. You get a hot Portland shooting team who has some size and length as well you get a Houston team that might be a buzz saw. Denver and Utah that come at you in waves. Pops scheming. You can scheme post season. Adjustments and shutting down two...Pops did it against Miami...you don’t think he can’t agaisnt the Lakers? Post season will be a big difference than regular season.

Clips are deep.  There is a reason they are the favorites.  

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Clips are deep.  There is a reason they are the favorites.  

The West is just flat out scary. I mean Clips, Lakers, Rockets, Denver, Utah, Blazers, and then teams like San Antonio (no matter what they are always in the playoffs, it seems), GS (terrible D and a shell of what they were, but they'll get better and will get Klay back), and even Phoenix and Dallas and Minn. It's going to be crazy towards the end of the regular season.

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

Though I don't visit this thread often.  I just happened to drop by. To say Sports Illustrated named my local team (the Nuggies) the best in the NBA. And named the Nuggets center... one of best of all time. I was shocked when I read that.  But then again. It's SI.

And right on que he had one of his worst games of the year the other night against Sac. That said he is a great player.

3 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Absolutely. And Lakers haven't had Kuzma. 

But the Clips are better (imo). And haven't had PG, and handled the Lakers pretty well in the first meeting. Can't really take anything from a beat down of an awful, rebuilding Grizz team. 

I've always been really high on AD's game -- he's right there in the top 2-3 player discussion. But also have to wait and see on his health, he's injured almost every year, and he's already having issues (again) with shoulder soreness. 

Another thing to watch at mid-season is if the Lakers pull off getting Igoudala. They're already talking about it (you know, how they talked about how they were getting PG, etc.). They might, Ig is not staying in Memphis.

Word was Iguadala wanted to go back and retire with GS. I think the Lakers would love to land him but I'm not all that sure he wants to go to that drama.

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

And right on que he had one of his worst games of the year the other night against Sac. That said he is a great player.

Well thanks for that. I would not have known.  As I have said. All Nuggets games have been broadcast in Denver, via Altitude Sports, in years past. Same owner as the Nuggets, as the cable channel.  But are blacked out now. Due to a contract dispute.  That, at the moment looks to last the season. 

Even the local NHL team (Avalance) with the same owner, is blacked out at well. 

Two teams , the Nuggets and Avalanche that are expected to do good things this season.... are blacked out for Denver TV viewers. 

Just think.  If Pacer fans could not watch their team.

Edited by milehiiu

3 hours ago, dgambill said:

Word was Iguadala wanted to go back and retire with GS. I think the Lakers would love to land him but I'm not all that sure he wants to go to that drama.

I have no idea - he’s already got rings so no need for him to ring search, but we’ll see. If he rejoins GS i’d respect that for sure 

Well I am going to officially go out on a limb and say that GS will not make the playoffs. Steph Curry broke his left hand.

On a personal note....I am probably not going to win my fantasy league. I now have Steph Curry and Marvin Bagley on my injured reserve. Deandre Ayton is out for 25 games because of the drug test. 3 of my first 4 picks are sitting right now. Going to have to scratch out wins until they come back.

Nice fight from the Pacers.  Goga looked like a rookie when filling in due to Myles going down with a sprained ankle but this learning experience will be very much beneficial while Myles is out.  Brogdon with a double double AGAIN , so far a DD in all four games to start the season(spectacular).  Glad Aaron got some run, would like to see him continue getting some run while Sumner is out to allow him to leap frog TJ McConnell. 

Pacers have a legit chance to win the next 3(Cavs/Bulls/Charlotte) and end up at 4-3. 

Celtics looked awful last night for about 2 and a half quarters and then the offense finally came alive and they rolled the Bucks the last quarter and a half, in a game without Jaylen Brown. It’s still weird, and this goes back a couple seasons, how the Celtics have these just huge offensive droughts. 

But man, they’re good when Kemba, Hayward and Tatum are all “on” at the same time. Side note, In the games I’ve been able to watch, Hayward looks much closer to the old Hayward. He’s not 100%, but he’s a lot closer than he was last season, and it’s great to see for him. 

• Like 1

^^ Gleas, think you'd have appreciated the comments of Brendan Haywood this morning -- co-host on NBA radio. A caller called in and basically said Kyrie folded in adversity and it looked like Kemba was much better in game huddles etc. Haywood said he could speak on that directly as he played with both. Without mincing words, he said Kemba is by far the better leader, not even close, that he handles adversity well, and that while Kyrie is a better scorer their games are not as far apart as you might think. 

Not Earth shattering stuff, but backs up from an NBA player who played with both what most of us have been seeing, Kyrie is just not a leader.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

Well I am going to officially go out on a limb and say that GS will not make the playoffs. Steph Curry broke his left hand.

On a personal note....I am probably not going to win my fantasy league. I now have Steph Curry and Marvin Bagley on my injured reserve. Deandre Ayton is out for 25 games because of the drug test. 3 of my first 4 picks are sitting right now. Going to have to scratch out wins until they come back.

If that's going out on a limb, I'm going to officially say the Knicks and Sacto aren't either, lol.

GS is done. They most likely weren't making the playoffs even with Curry, God their D is the worst in the League, just horrible. They are now, officially, in rebuild mode. They'll be playing for the draft.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

^^ Gleas, think you'd have appreciated the comments of Brendan Haywood this morning -- co-host on NBA radio. A caller called in and basically said Kyrie folded in adversity and it looked like Kemba was much better in game huddles etc. Haywood said he could speak on that directly as he played with both. Without mincing words, he said Kemba is by far the better leader, not even close, that he handles adversity well, and that while Kyrie is a better scorer their games are not as far apart as you might think. 

Not Earth shattering stuff, but backs up from an NBA player who played with both what most of us have been seeing, Kyrie is just not a leader.

Completely agree. Kemba is a team-player and leader. He may lack some things compared to Kyrie (ball handling, finishing in the paint/at the rim, etc.) but he more than makes up for it by not pounding the ball as much, moving the ball more, at least playing with effort on defense and being an infinitely better teammate and leader. 

With Kyrie, it's not even that he's not a leader, it's that he actively looks to tear the team down. He's actively working against what the organization, coaches and other players are trying to do. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

If that's going out on a limb, I'm going to officially say the Knicks and Sacto aren't either, lol.

GS is done. They most likely weren't making the playoffs even with Curry, God their D is the worst in the League, just horrible. They are now, officially, in rebuild mode. They'll be playing for the draft.

Oh...no doubt. I know they acted like they wouldn't flip Russell but I absolutely think you do now. They are going to have a top 5 pick to pair up with a healthy Curry, Thompson, and Green next year. Depending on what you turn Russell into they could add another nice piece as well. Right now you gotta just say Deangelo...go light it up...make yourself real valuable and see what pieces they can get back. I think they did a good job in the draft with Paschall and down the road I think Poole as well. I'd say give it a couple years (which would put it past Lebrons prime) and they will be ready to take another shot at it. I think PG and Kawai have opt out options in a couple years as well so the Clippers might only be together for a couple years.

Edited by dgambill

54 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Oh...no doubt. I know they acted like they wouldn't flip Russell but I absolutely think you do now. They are going to have a top 5 pick to pair up with a healthy Curry, Thompson, and Green next year. Depending on what you turn Russell into they could add another nice piece as well. Right now you gotta just say Deangelo...go light it up...make yourself real valuable and see what pieces they can get back. I think they did a good job in the draft with Paschall and down the road I think Poole as well. I'd say give it a couple years (which would put it past Lebrons prime) and they will be ready to take another shot at it. I think PG and Kawai have opt out options in a couple years as well so the Clippers might only be together for a couple years.

Yeah they'll be aiming to rebuild to compete -- but, imo, while Curry is one of the greats, Draymond is now exposed. He is a complimentary piece, and without a legit star or two next to him, is largely ineffective. Put him on Orlando etc. and he'd have accomplished very little, imo. Dude is a very good (albeit annoying) complimentary player on a good team, but not a star in his own right.

I doubt GS will ever get back to truly contending for a title with this group, though with Curry and, assuming he comes back fully healthy, Klay, they may get back depending on who else they can add.

I tend to think Kawhi and PG are done moving. They're both back in LA where they wanted to be, they're on a strong team and likely will do big things together, and it's a good fit. I'd bet on the Clips continuing to grow the team, including with young players and trades.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

They could well wind up like San Antonio: a season in the basement and wind up with a lottery pick (Duncan) to fold into an otherwise pretty solid team.

• Like 1

Curry will be 32 in march, dray and clay are both 29. They don't need Dray for scoring when you have healthy steph and clay.  I'd say Russel is tradeable unless he decides to play d. Draft the best big available or flip the pick for a nice piece and next year that's a top 3 starting 5.  Luck into James Wiseman.  Who knows.  They have no cap space so they have no depth.  At some point you have to think business over loyalty and maybe they trade Dray.  If they go the Belichick route they ship Steph before his value plummets.  

Edited by NotIThatLives

10 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Curry will be 32 in march, dray and clay are both 29. They don't need Dray for scoring when you have healthy steph and clay.  I'd say Russel is tradeable unless he decides to play d. Draft the best big available or flip the pick for a nice piece and next year that's a top 3 starting 5.  Luck into James Wiseman.  Who knows.  They have no cap space so they have no depth.  At some point you have to think business over loyalty and maybe they trade Dray.  If they go the Belichick route they ship Steph before his value plummets.  

Or is Steph their Brady?