March Madness thread

rico

Analytics are for people who has not played the game or don't really understand how the game is played. So they get some made up stats that have no meaning to try to sound smart to make of or their lack of basketball knowledge.  Analytics can't measure heart of a player or how your team competes or how well your team chemistry is.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Analytics are for people who has not played the game or don't really understand how the game is played. So they get some made up stats that have no meaning to try to sound smart to make of or their lack of basketball knowledge.  Analytics can't measure heart of a player or how your team competes or how well your team chemistry is.

Your explanation of analytics isn't based in reality.  You can embrace or understand analytics but you cannot ignore them.  I have seen you use them yourself in talking about the "way the game is meant to be played" in your opinion.  We once had a discussion on shot breakdown.  You believed a great offense will shoot relatively equal percentage of shots from all 3 levels.  I cannot argue that as that is impossible to defend.  How would you derive such an offensive game plan? - Analytics.  You would see where your best point of attack is from watching film knowing where that open mid-range jump shot is likely to take place.  

Don't get me wrong, analytics are ONLY a tool.  This is where the last part of your post really comes into play and you are 100% correct on.  Analytics cannot measure a player's heart, drive, character, determination,team chemistry and more.  They are NOT the end all be all to a sport.  I have participated in many sports (soccer and wrestling being the most challenging) where analytics only do so much.  They are only a tool for preparation in how to attack and defend.  Execution, coaching and adaptation still must take place not only to be competitive, but are a must in order to win at the highest levels.

This tourney is starting to hurt my fandom again. Duke escapes again. UK wins and Cal is talking about how he has no idea how they got there, Purdue playing tonight...when teams start to make cheering for Izzo/Sparty look like good options you know there's something wrong.

I'll cheer for  Texas Tech. Why not have a middle of the road Big 12 program hire a guy and in 3 short years he gets them a title. Fred keeps telling us it were in a rebuild. Guess other schools don't need decades to rebuild. 

3 hours ago, PoHoosier said:

Your explanation of analytics isn't based in reality.  You can embrace or understand analytics but you cannot ignore them.  I have seen you use them yourself in talking about the "way the game is meant to be played" in your opinion.  We once had a discussion on shot breakdown.  You believed a great offense will shoot relatively equal percentage of shots from all 3 levels.  I cannot argue that as that is impossible to defend.  How would you derive such an offensive game plan? - Analytics.  You would see where your best point of attack is from watching film knowing where that open mid-range jump shot is likely to take place.  

Don't get me wrong, analytics are ONLY a tool.  This is where the last part of your post really comes into play and you are 100% correct on.  Analytics cannot measure a player's heart, drive, character, determination,team chemistry and more.  They are NOT the end all be all to a sport.  I have participated in many sports (soccer and wrestling being the most challenging) where analytics only do so much.  They are only a tool for preparation in how to attack and defend.  Execution, coaching and adaptation still must take place not only to be competitive, but are a must in order to win at the highest levels.

I can't imagine living, working or competing in this day and age without using analytics as at least part of the equation. 

This post is in no way a shot at our current coaches. Have to allow them the proper time to get their guys in. With that said....we can all hate Cal as much as possible but 7 Elite 8's in 10 years?? Kentucky Administration said basketball is important to them and they went out and proved it. What does our administration do? Try to take as much BTN $ as possible to fund our nationally known linguistics department. 

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

I can't imagine living, working or competing in this day and age without using analytics as at least part of the equation. 

I know Scott has a hard time grasping them.  But he is just looking at them from a sports angle(in this case basketball).  When in fact businesses and even this country's government have been using them for a very long time.  It just took the sports world awhile to catch up.

8 hours ago, IU Scott said:

This really sounds like something a guy who can't understand math would say. I think with very few exceptions, people understand analytics can't tell the entire story but completely ignoring them puts you at a competitive disadvantage. 

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

This post is in no way a shot at our current coaches. Have to allow them the proper time to get their guys in. With that said....we can all hate Cal as much as possible but 7 Elite 8's in 10 years?? Kentucky Administration said basketball is important to them and they went out and proved it. What does our administration do? Try to take as much BTN $ as possible to fund our nationally known linguistics department. 

I would agree with you 100% if you can look me in the eye with a straight face and say “and they’re doing it legally without breaking rules.”

if you knew we could win at that level if it took paying players would you? I wouldn’t. 

3 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

I would agree with you 100% if you can look me in the eye with a straight face and say “and they’re doing it legally without breaking rules.”

if you knew we could win at that level if it took paying players would you? I wouldn’t. 

I find the rules against paying players to be immoral so I would be fine with it. 

4 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Rather lose every game and win like UK runs their program and would never want Cal to step foot on the IU campus.

2 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

This really sounds like something a guy who can't understand math would say. I think with very few exceptions, people understand analytics can't tell the entire story but completely ignoring them puts you at a competitive disadvantage. 

Nope I work with numbers every day in my work and took many math and economic classes in college.

1 hour ago, BADGERVOL said:

Ask me that question during the middle of the UK or Duke game later...haha. My opinion on that subject has a series of ebb and flow. Depending on beer consumption and envy. 

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

I find the rules against paying players to be immoral so I would be fine with it. 

How many other college students get paid around $40,000 a year.  these guys are getting paid plenty to play college basketball and if you can't see that then you are blind.  DD said his son got $1200 a month in living expenses and another $570 a month and that is beyond what comes with their scholarship.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

How many other college students get paid around $40,000 a year.  these guys are getting paid plenty to play college basketball and if you can't see that then you are blind.  DD said his son got $1200 a month in living expenses and another $570 a month and that is beyond what comes with their scholarship.

How many other college students generate money at all for their schools, let alone the amount these guys do? 

I find it immoral that the people generating revenue are rarely the people seeing the majority of it. That's not a position that is exclusive to college sports. 

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

And eat like gods.  I watched an IU swimmer talk about taking his diet seriously at iu, he said, "I'm not talking about making better choices in the dining hall with the rest of the students."(paraphrase)

Do you have a source on that?  I’m curious about some of the context. 

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

How many other college students generate money at all for their schools, let alone the amount these guys do? 

I find it immoral that the people generating revenue are rarely the people seeing the majority of it. That's not a position that is exclusive to college sports. 

Then be prepared to end 80% of college athletics and particularly all female sports except for UT and UCONN women’s basketball the only women’s sports to be able to bring in more than they use.

and all the other sports are toast because the funds accumulated on things like the Big Ten Network go a long way to allow the other sports to exist.

Everyone who thinks it’s as simple as “pay college athletes who make money for universities” haven’t really dove into the depth of what they’re saying actually means. It’s a ripple affect. If you merely say “x person provides y service and Z gets all the money” then yes it can seem that simple. And gosh if it was then yes of course the fix is easy. It’s not. It’s WAY more complicated than that.

4 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Lets do away with college sports and make a bunch of different pro leagues. We could have a 6'0 under league. 6'5 and under laegue. Just for everyone the NBA doesn't want. What do you think they would be paid?

They could blow up AH and MS and build dorms and class rooms, raise enrollment to 200,000 and make a fortune. Instead of losing money on sports.

15 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Lets do away with college sports and make a bunch of different pro leagues. We could have a 6'0 under league. 6'5 and under laegue. Just for everyone the NBA doesn't want. What do you think they would be paid?

They could blow up AH and MS and build dorms and class rooms, raise enrollment to 200,000 and make a fortune. Instead of losing money on sports.

About as realistic as many of the ideas I’ve heard

Archived