March Madness thread

rico

27 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

Then be prepared to end 80% of college athletics and particularly all female sports except for UT and UCONN women’s basketball the only women’s sports to be able to bring in more than they use.

and all the other sports are toast because the funds accumulated on things like the Big Ten Network go a long way to allow the other sports to exist.

Why are they toast? I think there is plenty to go around to ensure all sports get paid for and the athletes can get some too; it just would require the mega money at the top of the funnel being dispersed to the people who actually bring it in. 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’m failing to see how getting 45,000 a year in scholarship, getting free massages, food prepared by nutritionists and chefs, having free TOP FLIGHT medical coverage, traveling around the country staying in top hotels and eating awesome food, being a star on campus and around the country, etc is immoral.

1 minute ago, BADGERVOL said:

I’m failing to see how getting 45,000 a year in scholarship, getting free massages, food prepared by nutritionists and chefs, having free TOP FLIGHT medical coverage, traveling around the country staying in top hotels and eating awesome food, being a star on campus and around the country, etc is immoral.

Don't forget living in the best apartments in town for free and getting $1200 a month spending money.

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

How many other college students generate money at all for their schools, let alone the amount these guys do? 

I find it immoral that the people generating revenue are rarely the people seeing the majority of it. That's not a position that is exclusive to college sports. 

Nobody is forcing these kids to go to college if they don't want to.  Also how much free advertising do these players like Zion gets by playing n college over the G-league.  Also  all you look at are the basketball and football players but if you pay them then you to pay every athlete in every sport which is a lot of money.

2 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Why are they toast? I think there is plenty to go around to ensure all sports get paid for and the athletes can get some too; it just would require the mega money at the top of the funnel being dispersed to the people who actually bring it in. 

Who is making these tens of millions? Literally every sport in college needs the revenue generated from men’s basketball and football to survive. I mean if you want to argue that college athletes should get a $800 a month bonus or something I’m listening. But if you’re gonna say they should be making 20-30,000 a year in addition to everything else how can you justify that for every college athlete?

5 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

So if you made millions for your company, all the provided was food, housing and training; nothing to save for retirement, little autonomy in how you get that food, housing, etc., you'd say great? I somewhat doubt that. 

6 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

You just think of the top programs but there are over 350 D1 basketball programs as well as other divisions that the NCAA is over and alot of the money is there to help pay for those sports.  Greg Sheehen was on 1260am te other day and they were talking about this subject and he said a lot of the money that the NCAA gets goes to fund all of the sports and help pay for travel cost for these programs

1 minute ago, BADGERVOL said:

That’s probably one of the better ideas I’ve heard. 

Universities paying players just isn’t feasible... There’s no way it would ever work.  

But there’s no reason the players shouldn’t  be able to sign as many endorsement deals as they want, sell autographs, etc., etc.  There’s no downside to it.

2 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Universities paying players just isn’t feasible... There’s no way it would ever work.  

But there’s no reason the players shouldn’t  be able to sign as many endorsement deals as they want, sell autographs, etc., etc.  There’s no downside to it.

This is being done now. Boosters are already paying. The downside is bidding wars. Shoe companies.

3 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

So if you made millions for your company, all the provided was food, housing and training; nothing to save for retirement, little autonomy in how you get that food, housing, etc., you'd say great? I somewhat doubt that. 

I don't know what world you live in but in most cases the employees make less money that the CEO of a company.  I would guess that most employees do a lot more of the work to generate the money coming into the company than does the CEO/

Because that would just cause more problems with schools trying to buy players off.  Say a university say will can get you $50,000 in endorsements so then it ill become a biding war.

Just now, Indykev said:

Then you get into, say I own a car lot if you come to IU I will give you 10 million to stand in my lobby for an hour. no thanks.

So then it really just is about making sure these kids don’t get any of the money they deserve.  If an hour of their time is worth $10M to a business there’s absolutely no reason they shouldn’t be allowed to engage in that.

8 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I’m not working for a company! And a company is for profit the school takes the vast majority of that money and builds facilities and offers stuff for the student body and pays for other sports! You act like 5$3 big ten network makes IU 100milion and five guys are in a back room  licking their fingers and counting hundreds. 🙄

Just now, FW_Hoosier said:

So then it really just is about making sure these kids don’t get any of the money they deserve.  If an hour of their time is worth $10M to a business there’s absolutely no reason they shouldn’t be allowed to engage in that.

If they want to get paid then go to the G-league or over seas because no one is forcing them to play college basketball.

now I’m fine with saying that administrators shouldn’t be making millions at a school. That I can get behind. But that’s rarely happening. 

Mans my dad was a CFO for a university and most people have no idea the costs of running and university and how everyone wants more and more perks to college and better everything and never stop to ask where the money is coming from. 

Mans yet college tuition is going to high also. It is a mess. But the answer isn’t shelling cash to men basketball and football players while nothing else changes for anyone.

It's about paying them to get to school. Thats my point.  The BOOSTER car lot owner could careless if an 18 year old is at his business. Who wants an 18 year old speaking for your business, not anyone smart.

2 minutes ago, Indykev said:

It's about paying them to get to school. Thats my point.  The BOOSTER car lot owner could careless if an 18 year old is at his business. Who wants an 18 year old speaking for your business, not anyone smart.

Which again, is already happening.  And again, these schools are making way more than $10M off these kids.  The kids should have the same opportunity to make be money off their relationship with the school.

1 minute ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Which again, is already happening.  And again, these schools are making way more than $10M off these kids.  The kids should have the same opportunity to make be money off their relationship with the school.

but those millions are going to fund a lot more than just the basketball and football programs

1 minute ago, FW_Hoosier said:

So whats the payroll for each school? How much do you bid for a Romeo Langford to get him to come to IU. where does the money come from to pay the last girl off the bench in softball?

I find it hard to make a lot of these sweeping changes to accommodate maybe 10-15 kids a year in college basketball that would have this drawing power.  Like I said if all they care about is getting paid then go pro and not go to college because for most of the players it is about way more than just money.  If  you don't believe this then go look at the reactions of the players after they lose an NCAA tournament game.  These are the kids that I want to see playing college basketball because it meant so much to them and to realize that their career is over it cause them to cry.

6 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

The schools that run in the red for sports, where does that money come from? You would have the top richest schools out bidding everyone for the best players in each sport.

Archived