March Madness thread

rico

35 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Nobody is forcing these kids to go to college if they don't want to.  Also how much free advertising do these players like Zion gets by playing n college over the G-league.  Also  all you look at are the basketball and football players but if you pay them then you to pay every athlete in every sport which is a lot of money.

Nobody forced share croppers to do that either. No one forces people to be stuck in poverty. No one forces people to do a lot of things, guess that means it's all good. 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

Who is making these tens of millions? Literally every sport in college needs the revenue generated from men’s basketball and football to survive. I mean if you want to argue that college athletes should get a $800 a month bonus or something I’m listening. But if you’re gonna say they should be making 20-30,000 a year in addition to everything else how can you justify that for every college athlete?

They could get to keep the money made off their likeness like anyone else in the country is allowed to do. We could lower coach and administrator pay to give some back to the players. 

1 hour ago, BeerBQ said:

Do you have a source on that?  I’m curious about some of the context. 

I was off a bit but the context is training lime an Olympian.  Former Hoosier Cody Miller talking about training and coaching IU swimmers.  https://www.idsnews.com/article/2019/03/cody-miller-and-blake-pieroni-among-professional-athletes-training-in-bloomington

31 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I don't know what world you live in but in most cases the employees make less money that the CEO of a company.  I would guess that most employees do a lot more of the work to generate the money coming into the company than does the CEO/

Yeah... And I find the wealth gap in our country to be immoral. Never said it isn't reality. I just don't listen to my daddies on high telling me to accept my place. 

4 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Nobody forced share croppers to do that either. No one forces people to be stuck in poverty. No one forces people to do a lot of things, guess that means it's all good. 

What an idiotic response to compare share croppers to college basketball players who are earning over $40,000 a year.🤣

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

Yeah... And I find the wealth gap in our country to be immoral. Never said it isn't reality. I just don't listen to my daddies on high telling me to accept my place. 

Sorry to let you know that life is not fair but someone needs to teach you that.

10 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Sorry to let you know that life is not fair but someone needs to teach you that.

I've never said life is fair, I just don't accept that as being an okay thing. You slurp down the lie that it's okay to have the disparity we have. 

23 minutes ago, Indykev said:

The schools that run in the red for sports, where does that money come from? You would have the top richest schools out bidding everyone for the best players in each sport.

As it relates to basketball, that is exactly what’s already been happening for decades.

Just now, KoB2011 said:

I've never said life is fair, I just don't accept that as being an okay thing. You slurp down the lie that it's okay to have the disparity we have. 

Free enterprise and everyone has a chance to succeed or fail.  If you want an ectopia where everyone is equal then maybe you shouldn't live in the USA or any other democracy.

Just now, IU Scott said:

Free enterprise and everyone has a chance to succeed or fail.  If you want an ectopia where everyone is equal then maybe you shouldn't live in the USA or any other democracy.

“Free enterprise” for everyone except college basketball players that want to go out and sign endorsement deals in the free market.  What a joke.

3 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

“Free enterprise” for everyone except college basketball players that want to go out and sign endorsement deals in the free market.  What a joke.

I guess we will never agree with this because I think making over $40,000 as a college student is a pretty good gig if you ask me.  Also we are talking about maybe 10-5 kids a year that it would effect so I am not willing to make that major of a change over such a small percentage of players.  Also most students have to go through an internship and to me playing college sports is an internship.

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

If you think we have free enterprise in this country you are sadly mistaken. 

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I guess we will never agree with this because I think making over $40,000 as a college student is a pretty good gig if you ask me.  Also we are talking about maybe 10-5 kids a year that it would effect so I am not willing to make that major of a change over such a small percentage of players.  Also most students have to go through an internship and to me playing college sports is an internship.

So college basketball players should only be allowed to make as much money as you think they should, got it.  Glad you’ve admitted you actually don’t believe in free enterprise at all. 

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

If you don't like this country go try to live some where else and then tell me how you like this country.

When did I say I don't like this country or that I want to live somewhere else? When did critiquing something equate to not liking it? 

Fair to assume if you ever critique your kids, based on what you said, that it means you either dislike them or want to no longer have them as children?

2 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

So college basketball players should only be allowed to make as much money as you think they should, got it.  Glad you’ve admitted you actually don’t believe in free enterprise at all. 

My daughter is going to be a senior next year at IU and see has to do an internship without pay for her degree.  to me playing college basketball is their internship for the NBA.  Again the free enterprise is that they have a choice to go to college or not to go so if they don't like it look elsewhere.

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

When did I say I don't like this country or that I want to live somewhere else? When did critiquing something equate to not liking it? 

Fair to assume if you ever critique your kids, based on what you said, that it means you either dislike them or want to no longer have them as children?

You said you dislike that this because you did not think people were equal here so it appeared that you did not like our system.  Yes I love y kids and have done a great job of raising them by my self with both in college doing very well.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

My daughter is going to be a senior next year at IU and see has to do an internship without pay for her degree.  to me playing college basketball is their internship for the NBA.  Again the free enterprise is that they have a choice to go to college or not to go so if they don't like it look elsewhere.

So again, you’re a commie that’s against free enterprise in college sports.  

Just now, FW_Hoosier said:

So again, you’re a commie that’s against free enterprise in college sports.  

Give it a rest if you are comparing college basketball to communism because I would bet a lot of those people living in those countries would love to have the life that college athletes have.  Again if they don't like it they have a choice to do something else.  Just like any of us do in our jobs if we don't like how our employers are treating us.  I can go in and ask for a huge raise and my employer can give the raise or not so I don't have a say in that.  My only actions is to accept it or move on to another job.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Give it a rest if you are comparing college basketball to communism because I would bet a lot of those people living in those countries would love to have the life that college athletes have.  Again if they don't like it they have a choice to do something else.  Just like any of us do in our jobs if we don't like how our employers are treating us.  I can go in and ask for a huge raise and my employer can give the raise or not so I don't have a say in that.  My only actions is to accept it or move on to another job.

This has nothing to do with their employer giving them any money and everything to do with their ability to go out and get money on their own.  Just admit that you’re free market hating communist.

4 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

This has nothing to do with their employer giving them any money and everything to do with their ability to go out and get money on their own.  Just admit that you’re free market hating communist.

Just give it a rest since it is obvious you have no clue what you are talking about, peach out

14 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

You said you dislike that this because you did not think people were equal here so it appeared that you did not like our system.  Yes I love y kids and have done a great job of raising them by my self with both in college doing very well.

I do dislike our system, that doesn't mean I dislike our country. 

So are you saying your kids never did anything you had to critique? If so, you didn't do a good job you got lucky. If they did something you had to critique but you didn't put them up for adoption, you probably understand where I'm coming from. 

There are arguments for and against.  But the "it's too complicated to pay athletes" doesn't hold up.

Way back when, radio stations refused to pay artists.  Said it was too complicated to keep track of 20,000 artists being played on 3000 radio stations over thousands of hours, thousands of times.  My gosh how they whined and cried hardship. 

In court, judges ruled that since the radio stations weren't smart enough to solve the problem, the government would revoke their public airwaves licenses, take back the radio stations, and give them to someone better qualified.

Now properly motivated, the radio stations suddenly said, oh hey, look at this!  We found a solution!  We're all pals now!  It wasn't so hard after all.  Haha!  Forget what we said about it being impossible.

Same with NCAA sports.  Withhold the billions in TV revenue from the universities until they include the players.  It would be solved the next day.

Or for more fun, don't withhold it.  Give it ALL directly to students and athletes.  Direct deposit to their personal accounts.  Continue until the NCAA and universities come up with a plan on why universities should get anything.

If the administrations didn't like this, they could quit and go work for the G-league or Wal-mart.  No one is forcing them to work at a university.

Written all in good fun - 😀 😀 😀

Archived