March Madness thread

rico

16 minutes ago, Long Duk Dong said:

Purdue does seem to do it the right way. Fundamentals, defense, toughness, shooting, etc.

Im not saying CAM isn't the guy. I'm willing to give him a couple more years. It is odd however that Louisville and Ohio State are both doing better than we are. CAM wasn't left with garbage. Maybe his offense and defense takes longer to instill? Maybe. I hope 

Ah Well I won't go that far to even shiftthis to IU coaching.

i will give the now 2 season old system time to take hold.That is the biggest glaring difference here.

Painter has players and established his culture.The culture is respectable indeed. As players go sun,the shines on a dogs ... from there.

How many times does a coach have to whiff before they hit one? 

But just saying its going to take TVs sweethearts to stop them if they do what they're doing.And ill be pulling for those media darlings from here out.Lol 

Normally I would pick against Duke bc the ACC. MSU or UM are just but way too familiar of foes for comfort on the otger side..Really idc who it is .Just eliminate Purdue and UK.lol

Yes this means Ive thought Purdue was a threat to win it since any team that finished near the top of the conference this year ...plus a few that did not ... didnt get there by pure accident.I meam I got laughed at offline for thinking Minny Iowa and Puke near the top half in preseason.Which is why I didnt go there making a predicted order of finish on this board.Still thought it. That being said I had IU as a top 3 finisher in the B1G. FWIW.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, jblaz13 said:

Ah Well I won't go that far to even shiftthis to IU coaching.

i will give the now 2 season old system time to take hold.That is the biggest glaring difference here.

For even the best coaches, 3 years is generally the minimum before consistent success starts.

2 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I didn’t call a top 10 coach a fraud 

I’m talking a little smack.  Made fun of myself right after that when they went on the run.

But I will say, I’m going to put money on Painter in the Elite 8 if Bennett manages to sneak past this 12 seed.

Just now, FW_Hoosier said:

I’m talking a little smack.  Made fun of myself right after that when they went on the run.

But I will say, I’m going to put money on Painter in the Elite 8 if Bennett manages to sneak past this 12 seed.

Yes, I saw you call yourself an idiot just as I posted. No worries and I hope you’re wrong on Painter

1 minute ago, Long Duk Dong said:

I didn't say I wanted him fired. Yes, next year could get rough for him without improvement.

Indiana is cheap when it comes to hiring basketball and football coaches.

Football coaches...won't argue that.  Although I like Allen as a head coach. 

Now, same question? Who should we have hired, and for how much? And keep in mind, there is no amount of money that could have brought Donovan.  Money isn't the issue with Bennett.  There's a very, very good likelihood there's no amount of money that could have brought Marshall. 

Go. 

Virginia is exactly the type of team I would want to play if I’m Purdue. UNC, Duke, UK, Gonzaga they would get wiped off the floor...Virginia grinds games out...not athletic...I think Purdue beats them....that is if Oregon doesn’t beat them first...Oregon would get blown out by Purdue.

1 hour ago, Zlinedavid said:

Football coaches...won't argue that.  Although I like Allen as a head coach. 

Now, same question? Who should we have hired, and for how much? And keep in mind, there is no amount of money that could have brought Donovan.  Money isn't the issue with Bennett.  There's a very, very good likelihood there's no amount of money that could have brought Marshall. 

Go. 

There is almost nothing true in there. Just like your “odds are we would be no better with Gregg Marshall” drivel.  Marshall isn’t going to lose 12 out of 13 with this roster.  He probably would have brought in a shooter. 

The message board urban legend narrative that Marshall and Bennett wouldn’t come for any amount of money shows how ignorant you are.  And you don’t know the difference between your uninformed opinion and fact.  

Chris Beard, Tony Bennett, Mike White, Gregg Marshall.  Lots of guys are more accomplished than Archie.  If you had an insightful AD who understood the sport instead of focusing on his eccentricities, the administration may have known better. 

But you keep on repeating your false, uninformed urban legends into the wind and hope people believe your nonsense. 

1 hour ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Chris Beard is the truth.

This is his second Elite Eight since being hired 3 years ago.  10 of his 15 players are freshman or sophomores (including redshirts). 

Salary about $3.2 million, and he's earned $400,000 more in bonuses so far.

Tonight was the first I've seen them play.  They were prepared, and have attitude.  It was impressive.

12 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Marshall isn’t going to lose 12 out of 13 with this roster.  He probably would have brought in a shooter.

Is this fact or opinion?

14 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

The message board urban legend narrative that Marshall and Bennett wouldn’t come for any amount of money shows how ignorant you are.  And you don’t know the difference between your uninformed opinion and fact. 

My information regarding Marshall comes from a person who has personally met Gregg Marshall and has a well connected source in Wichita.  This person has publicly stated this on this board.  According to that person, Marshall is very, very content in Wichita and places a lot of value on the freedom that WSU's environment offers to him and his family.  He has listened to offers, but has not come close to leaving WSU. WSU also has backers that would be willing to up the price if needed, which would get him his raise, and keep him in the environment he likes. If you re-read my statement, I wasn't as absolute about Marshall as I was with Donovan.

As for Bennett, I've gone over that in a different thread.  There was bad blood between the Bennett family and IU at one point in time.  I have nothing recent to verify that, I also have nothing recent to contradict that. 

24 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Chris Beard, Tony Bennett, Mike White, Gregg Marshall.  Lots of guys are more accomplished than Archie.

I've addressed Bennett and Marshall.  When Archie was hired, Chris Beard had 2 years of D1 coaching experience.  One season of 30-5 in the Sun Belt conference, and one season of 18-14 at Texas Tech.  I'd call that promising, but that's not a long enough track record to make an accurate judgement on. 

When Archie was hired, Mike White had just completed his 2nd season at Florida, which finished in the Elite 8.  That was also his first trip to the NCAA tournament as a head coach.  He had also won 3 conference titles at Louisiana Tech.  At that same point in time, Archie had qualified for the NCAA tournament in four consecutive years.  His first trip to the NCAA tournament also ended in the Elite 8, and he had won 2 conference titles at Dayton.  4 NCAA tournaments, with one E8 and 2 mid-major conference titles vs 1 NCAA tournament, 1 E8 and 3 mid-major conference titles.  Just my ignorant opinion, but those sound pretty equal.  It doesn't make one a clear cut favorite over the other.

If you're suggesting that we fire Archie right now and make an attempt to hire Beard or White, that would set a bad precedent.  Why would a top-tier coach want to come here if he's only going to get two years to build a program? Sure the pay might be good, but is it worth it to uproot for only two years?

Archived