Indiana High School Football (2019)

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, rico said:

Must have been the coaching that turned it around!  Sorry, couldn't resist.

I'm a firm believer that players win and lose games. 

I believe in game coaching is wildly overrated. Not saying it's not a factor... just saying I don't believe it's as important as people think. 

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

I believe in game coaching is wildly overrated. Not saying it's not a factor... just saying I don't believe it's as important as people think. 

Yeah, I remember you saying that somewhere at some time.  Best of luck the rest of the way out.

O.K., let's talk HS football down here in the southern part of the state. Last week-end powerhouse Gibson Southern traveled to play 6A Southport. Gibson Southern is a little school but owns the 3A down here in football. Meanwhile Southport is a large 6A school and the Titans lost 43-35 on Southports home field. Not too shabby! Meanwhile in a battle of catholic schools, Evansville Memorial beat Mater Dei 10-3. And Evansville Central blasted Evansville Reitz in a shocker 42-0 and the Panthers record is 1 and 3. Needless to say the natives restless on the Hill.

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Coaching preparation in advance of game day is significantly more important than in-game coaching, but if two equally talented teams are playing equally well, in-game coaching decisions do make a difference.  

7 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Coaching preparation in advance of game day is significantly more important than in-game coaching, but if two equally talented teams are playing equally well, in-game coaching decisions do make a difference.  

But ultimately the players have to execute. Yes.. prep is so much more important. 

I'll give my best example for this season.. 

We were down 14-7 at the half week 2. When the team we were playing went to a no back look (3 WR and 2 tight slots).. we checked to a blitz and played bump and run coverage on the outside. 

But the team we were playing was keeping those tight slots in to block... 6 rushers 7 blockers and they were getting the ball out quick running slants and fades, so our blitz was effective. Our DBs were left on an island.. eventually they were going to get us for a huge play(they have a D1 athlete at WR) and they already had once that game. 

So at halftime we stopped blitzing in those scenarios and played our 4 deep 3 under coverage... we forced their QB to hold on to the ball longer, allowed our 4 DL to get a pass rush against their 7 blockers... forced one INT, multiple pass breakups, and sacked them 3 or 4 times. 

Some might call that in game coaching, and it is somewhat... but two things: 1. We have practiced that coverage since those kids were in MS and all throughout the summer leading up to  the season and even though we didn't work on it that week much, it's still second nature to them. 2. Our players still had to execute the coverage and our DL still had to do their job when the QB held the ball for 4-5 seconds. 

You can have the best schemes and in game changes in the world.. but if your players aren't already prepared for anything thrown their way or they don't execute.. you're in trouble. 

Outside of Indy, there is such an imbalance in the quality of teams.  Here are the shutouts from tonight.  Notice the absence of any 7-0 games

50-0

44-0

41-0

47-0

40-0

49-0

45-0

28-0

43-0

35-0

35-0

42-0

67-0

20-0

42-0

48-0

49-0

31-0

63-0

53-0

63-0

48-0

54-0

54-0

21-0

54-0

35-0

42-0

51-0

40-0

61-0

40-0

41-0

26-0

46-0

20-0

Still a handful of games to be reported.  Also, plenty of blowouts where teams the losing team scores 3, 6, or 7.

7 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Homestead beats Snider to stay undefeated 

Dekalb gives Columbia City their first loss 

East Noble smokes Leo

Dwenger beats Carroll in a slugfest 10-3

The good news is that my Wildcats put up 22...the bad news is they gave up 53 to North Miami.

Warsaw downs Northridge.

9 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Outside of Indy, there is such an imbalance in the quality of teams.  Here are the shutouts from tonight.  Notice the absence of any 7-0 games

50-0

44-0

41-0

47-0

40-0

49-0

45-0

28-0

43-0

35-0

35-0

42-0

67-0

20-0

42-0

48-0

49-0

31-0

63-0

53-0

63-0

48-0

54-0

54-0

21-0

54-0

35-0

42-0

51-0

40-0

61-0

40-0

41-0

26-0

46-0

20-0

Still a handful of games to be reported.  Also, plenty of blowouts where teams the losing team scores 3, 6, or 7.

What do you think the reason is for this? I know in my home state of Illinois we see similar results. Most of the rural kids flock to one school and instead of having 4-5 good schools in an area they've created 1 superpower. Especially in the smaller classes (4A or below). Do you see that here as well?

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

What do you think the reason is for this? I know in my home state of Illinois we see similar results. Most of the rural kids flock to one school and instead of having 4-5 good schools in an area they've created 1 superpower. Especially in the smaller classes (4A or below). Do you see that here as well?

I can't speak for Fouls but I can speak for my area.  Seems that around me the conferences are unbalanced.  What I mean by that is that in particular conferences you have schools that span 3 different classes.  IMO this creates several mis-matches.  Just my thought.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Rico hit on one of the factors.  The majority of these blowouts are between conference foes.    It's not a case of kids intentionally flocking to a school to create the superpower, it's a result of conference affiliations being set years ago when the schools were similar in size.  Since that time, 1-2 of the schools have had significant enrollment growth, unrelated to athletics, while the others have not.

Coaching is another factor.  Yes, skilled players are critical, but when you have two schools where nobody is going to the next level (at least not to a significant college program), then coaching plays a key part in the success of the team.  There just are not enough good coaches to go around.

But, I believe historical program success and tradition plays the biggest part.  Kids growing up knowing how to win, and with good feeder programs make a huge difference.  Take the Hoosier Hills conference in the southern part of the state for example.  This a a conference full of 5A schools, with a couple of 4A schools in the mix.  Columbus East has absolutely dominated the conference, not lost a conference game in 12 or 13 years.  They beat New Albany 49-0, or something like that, last night.  East has sent many kids off to major college programs.  Quite simply, Columbus East is a Football School.   They are playing up in class from 5A to 6A this year because of the success factor.  Other schools in the conference are Jeffersonville, New Albany, Floyd Central, Bedford North Lawrence, Seymour, Jennings County, and Madison.   

Jeffersonville, New Albany, and Floyd Central are clearly basketball schools first.  Jeffersonville has 3 D1 level basketball players on their roster, and will likely be #1 in the state at the start of the year.   New Albany has sent Romeo to IU and the NBA, and historically produces D1 talent.  New Albany did have Rondale Moore for 2 years, but he transferred to Trinity in Louisville, a national football powerhouse.   Floyd Central dominates the conference in the individual sports. like tennis and golf.  It's where their school has historically had an advantage, and that's where kids seem to flock when choosing a sport.  All three of those schools are larger than Columbus East.  

Bedford and Seymour are more similar in size to Columbus, are closer in proximity to Columbus, and probably have less of a basketball/football disparity in focus than the others.  For whatever reason, neither has produced the consistent results that is required to compete against Columbus East.  Jennings County and Madison are 4A schools, smaller than the other 6 conference members, in fact Madison is much smaller.  I live far enough away from Jennings County that I really don't know what the driving factors are.  But, I do know they rarely compete for championships in any sport.    Madison is a classic example of a school that is no longer has the enrollment to compete with the other schools.  Madison's enrollment has dropped over the years, while the other schools have increased or maintained.  Madison now is less than half the size of Jeff, New Albany, and Floyd Central.  

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Rico hit on one of the factors.  The majority of these blowouts are between conference foes.    It's not a case of kids intentionally flocking to a school to create the superpower, it's a result of conference affiliations being set years ago when the schools were similar in size.  Since that time, 1-2 of the schools have had significant enrollment growth, unrelated to athletics, while the others have not.

Amen brother.

Industry and jobs play a major factor as enrollment drops at some and enrollment goes up in others.  But the conferences for the most part remain the same my way.  Whitko has dropped by 200 kids over the last 20 years or so.  Once upon a time they were a "small school" power house.  The HS is located in South Whitley, it is a shadow of it's former self.  It is a ghost town other than the school.  

7 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Coaching is another factor.  Yes, skilled players are critical, but when you have two schools where nobody is going to the next level (at least not to a significant college program), then coaching plays a key part in the success of the team.  There just are not enough good coaches to go around.

But, I believe historical program success and tradition plays the biggest part.  Kids growing up knowing how to win, and with good feeder programs make a huge difference.  Take the Hoosier Hills conference in the southern part of the state for example.  This a a conference full of 5A schools, with a couple of 4A schools in the mix.  Columbus East has absolutely dominated the conference, not lost a conference game in 12 or 13 years.  They beat New Albany 49-0, or something like that, last night.  East has sent many kids off to major college programs.  Quite simply, Columbus East is a Football School.   They are playing up in class from 5A to 6A this year because of the success factor.  Other schools in the conference are Jeffersonville, New Albany, Floyd Central, Bedford North Lawrence, Seymour, Jennings County, and Madison.   

Jeffersonville, New Albany, and Floyd Central are clearly basketball schools first.  Jeffersonville has 3 D1 level basketball players on their roster, and will likely be #1 in the state at the start of the year.   New Albany has sent Romeo to IU and the NBA, and historically produces D1 talent.  New Albany did have Rondale Moore for 2 years, but he transferred to Trinity in Louisville, a national football powerhouse.   Floyd Central dominates the conference in the individual sports. like tennis and golf.  It's where their school has historically had an advantage, and that's where kids seem to flock when choosing a sport.  All three of those schools are larger than Columbus East.  

Bedford and Seymour are more similar in size to Columbus, are closer in proximity to Columbus, and probably have less of a basketball/football disparity in focus than the others.  For whatever reason, neither has produced the consistent results that is required to compete against Columbus East.  Jennings County and Madison are 4A schools, smaller than the other 6 conference members, in fact Madison is much smaller.  I live far enough away from Jennings County that I really don't know what the driving factors are.  But, I do know they rarely compete for championships in any sport.    Madison is a classic example of a school that is no longer has the enrollment to compete with the other schools.  Madison's enrollment has dropped over the years, while the other schools have increased or maintained.  Madison now is less than half the size of Jeff, New Albany, and Floyd Central.  

NA has had like 6 or 7 D1 kids go across the river the last 6 or 7 years. They have an ungodly amount of talent.. it just doesnt stay. 

20 minutes ago, btownqb said:

NA has had like 6 or 7 D1 kids go across the river the last 6 or 7 years. They have an ungodly amount of talent.. it just doesnt stay. 

And, to the point, if New Albany was an established program like Columbus East, then those kids would stay.  Overall, it's a great community for sports, just not for football.  The basketball program is one of the most successful in the state over the last 25 years. And, we all know about Romeo.   In baseball, their little league team has won state multiple times over the last 10 years or so.  Josh Rogers, who is currently injured, but has pitched for the Orioles and Yankees over the last couple of years, went to New Albany.  And, their other programs are usually above average to good.  But, football success has eluded them for some reason.  They have not had what you could call a good team since 2002,  And, this year has been especially bad.

Archived