Indiana High School Football (2019)

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

2-7 Bishop Luers ahead 38-0

Fw Concordia up big over Maconoquah

Dekalb and Columbia City tied at 14 and Leo leads Angola 14-12

Unfortunately,the Whitko Rico’s trail 0-9 Prairie Heights 16-30.

The 'Cats do indeed finish with a perfect record...0-10.  The GF's CC Eagles go down.  The big one in the area was Southwood at 'Busco.  The Knights prevail in that one.

Just a general question for the board. I only watch a few teams here in Indy area each year so my research is limited. I grew up in a Wing T community in Illinois. They still run it to this day. What's the overall offensive philosophy around the state on offense? Pro sets...passing game....rpo?? Always was curious about Peyton Manning influence 20 years later after he arrived in Indy on high school game.

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Just a general question for the board. I only watch a few teams here in Indy area each year so my research is limited. I grew up in a Wing T community in Illinois. They still run it to this day. What's the overall offensive philosophy around the state on offense? Pro sets...passing game....rpo?? Always was curious about Peyton Manning influence 20 years later after he arrived in Indy on high school game.

Great question that is very suited for @btownqb to answer other than I.  I have only watched a handful of games through the last few years and they have been local.  Most of what I have seen is what I would call the old pro set.  FB, HB, 2 WRs, and a tight end.  However I have seen some schools run the T, Power I, and wishbone that they have used as a rpo.

It's an assortment of things. Wing T is more common at the lower levels. We run shotgun Wing T/single wing... a version of that. 

RPOs are BS. OL downfield all the time. 

6A/5A is pro sets, shot gun 4 wide... similar to a college game. Other than Center Grove who is traditional Wing T. 

4 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Downstate?

2 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

Downstate?

Born in Chicago but raised in a small farm town in NW corner of state. Geneseo. Between us and a few other programs we own every record in state but in the last few years our wing T has become archaic and other teams have moved to pro sets or 3 and 4 wide shotgun. Was just curious what around the state of Indiana was doing.

4 hours ago, btownqb said:

It's an assortment of things. Wing T is more common at the lower levels. We run shotgun Wing T/single wing... a version of that. 

RPOs are BS. OL downfield all the time. 

6A/5A is pro sets, shot gun 4 wide... similar to a college game. Other than Center Grove who is traditional Wing T. 

Thanks. I see mostly 6A/5A games and that's what I see. Was just curious what other parts of state was doing. Thanks for follow up!

7 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Born in Chicago but raised in a small farm town in NW corner of state. Geneseo. Between us and a few other programs we own every record in state but in the last few years our wing T has become archaic and other teams have moved to pro sets or 3 and 4 wide shotgun. Was just curious what around the state of Indiana was doing.

Heard the name.  Grew up downstate in an even smaller farm area.  Going on 20 years ago, wing T was prevalent among the more powerful downstate powers as well (Tuscola is the one that comes to mind, probably others, but need to blow the dust off those brain cells).  When I was playing though, we were one of the few still running the (yeah....get this....) the run-and-shoot.  Gimmick? Yep.  But we ran it pretty well.  Kept us in the playoffs 3 out of my 4 years. 

2 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Heard the name.  Grew up downstate in an even smaller farm area.  Going on 20 years ago, wing T was prevalent among the more powerful downstate powers as well (Tuscola is the one that comes to mind, probably others, but need to blow the dust off those brain cells).  When I was playing though, we were one of the few still running the (yeah....get this....) the run-and-shoot.  Gimmick? Yep.  But we ran it pretty well.  Kept us in the playoffs 3 out of my 4 years. 

Everyone has a different definition of downstate. Most Chicago residents think anything south of I80 is downstate. Growing up Sacred Heart in Springfield was our competition. Later on Rochester. Couple other good programs but mostly we hit heads with Joliet Catholic, Morris, Sterling, Alleman....some others too. 

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

Everyone has a different definition of downstate. Most Chicago residents think anything south of I80 is downstate. Growing up Sacred Heart in Springfield was our competition. Later on Rochester. Couple other good programs but mostly we hit heads with Joliet Catholic, Morris, Sterling, Alleman....some others too. 

For us anything NORTH of I70 was upstate.  North of 80 was either way-the-$&%@-upstate or just "Chicago" lol. 

Had to look them up.  When I was playing, Geneseo played 4A.  We were 3A, although we got bit by the whole "Average size of your opponents" rule.  Legitimately, we were the size of a mid-small 2A.  Only recognizable name that we played annually was the downstate Mt. Carmel. 

2 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

For us anything NORTH of I70 was upstate.  North of 80 was either way-the-$&%@-upstate or just "Chicago" lol. 

Had to look them up.  When I was playing, Geneseo played 4A.  We were 3A, although we got bit by the whole "Average size of your opponents" rule.  Legitimately, we were the size of a mid-small 2A.  Only recognizable name that we played annually was the downstate Mt. Carmel. 

Illinois has changed the rules on size of opponents. Our school was 900 students but played in 4A and 5A because the size of our school district was large (all farm ground). Mt Carmel was a powerhouse too. 

38 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Illinois has changed the rules on size of opponents. Our school was 900 students but played in 4A and 5A because the size of our school district was large (all farm ground). Mt Carmel was a powerhouse too. 

Nice to know they still haven't done anything logical with the classifications.  Like maybe...oh....the actual size of the school?!

We were formerly conference mates with Mt. Carmel.  Managed to knock them off in the '96 playoffs after a regular season loss.  Their head coach that year was John Hart, former head coach at Reitz, Warren Central and now at Brownsburg.  (See, this is still on topic! 😂)

3 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Nice to know they still haven't done anything logical with the classifications.  Like maybe...oh....the actual size of the school?!

We were formerly conference mates with Mt. Carmel.  Managed to knock them off in the '96 playoffs after a regular season loss.  Their head coach that year was John Hart, former head coach at Reitz, Warren Central and now at Brownsburg.  (See, this is still on topic! 😂)

John Hart. Great coach! Funny part is he was hired by my good friends school up in NW Suburbs of Chicago (Huntley) and things went a little sideways up there. Glad to see he's doing well again. I'll do my best to get this back to Indiana High School football as well. Sorry readers!

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

John Hart. Great coach! Funny part is he was hired by my good friends school up in NW Suburbs of Chicago (Huntley) and things went a little sideways up there. Glad to see he's doing well again. I'll do my best to get this back to Indiana High School football as well. Sorry readers!

I think he had one of (if not the only) losing seasons of his career up there, didn't he? Nothing to be ashamed of if so.  Dude is a legit HOFer in two states. 

27 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

I think he had one of (if not the only) losing seasons of his career up there, didn't he? Nothing to be ashamed of if so.  Dude is a legit HOFer in two states. 

He built the foundation up there for years of success. No one can dispute his resume here in Indiana. 

I was at the Noblesville v Homestead game.  Homestead scored a TD to tie it on the last play of regulation.  Noblesville got the ball first and was kicking a field goal and should have been called for a delay of game.  Homestead fans were going nuts.  Until a bad snap left Noblesville scoreless.  Homestead then won on a field goal.  Exciting game between two evenly matched teams I guess.

Interesting side note.  After the game I heard a Homestead player say that Cameron Knight was the best OL that he had ever played against.  I’m not sure what that means since I don’t know any other OL guys he has played against but it was still nice to hear about the future Hoosier!

The only score that really surprised me among the big schools was how badly Westfield beat Fishers.  I’m not surprised they won but wow, what a blowout.  

1 hour ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

I was at the Noblesville v Homestead game.  Homestead scored a TD to tie it on the last play of regulation.  Noblesville got the ball first and was kicking a field goal and should have been called for a delay of game.  Homestead fans were going nuts.  Until a bad snap left Noblesville scoreless.  Homestead then won on a field goal.  Exciting game between two evenly matched teams I guess.

Interesting side note.  After the game I heard a Homestead player say that Cameron Knight was the best OL that he had ever played against.  I’m not sure what that means since I don’t know any other OL guys he has played against but it was still nice to hear about the future Hoosier!

I saw the highlights up here, heck of a game.

As far as what OL Homestead has played against.  There is one from FW Dwenger that is commited to Wisconsin.  So that praise says a lot.

50 minutes ago, rico said:

I saw the highlights up here, heck of a game.

As far as what OL Homestead has played against.  There is one from FW Dwenger that is commited to Wisconsin.  So that praise says a lot.

The kid from Dwenger you mentioned graduated last year and is a freshman at UW this year.

I thought that there was a lineman from Snider this year that IU was either recruiting or had gotten a commitment from.

18 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

The kid from Dwenger you mentioned graduated last year and is a freshman at UW this year.

I thought that there was a lineman from Snider this year that IU was either recruiting or had gotten a commitment from.

Tippman from Dwenger?  Right?  I mispoke but the Homestead kids would have still played against him.

After I saw your response, I called a friend in the Fort.  He told me an OL from Dwenger committed to IU.  Wiginton?  And told me there was a Holtz at Snider that was undecided.  He also screamed in my ear..."GO CHARGERS!"

2 hours ago, rico said:

Tippman from Dwenger?  Right?  I mispoke but the Homestead kids would have still played against him.

After I saw your response, I called a friend in the Fort.  He told me an OL from Dwenger committed to IU.  Wiginton?  And told me there was a Holtz at Snider that was undecided.  He also screamed in my ear..."GO CHARGERS!"

This sounds about right 

Archived