PGA/General Golf

Seeking6

Sorry for the lengthy cut/paste but found this really interesting on LACC. Especially the tax loopholes and 1000 page rule book!

Los Angeles Country Club is one of the world's most exclusive golf clubs. • $250,000 initiation fees • No celebrities or social media posts And they use a 45-year-old tax loophole to save $80 million annually. Here's how it works: LACC sits on 320 acres in the heart of LA. It's one of the country's nicest (and strictest) country clubs. They don't allow celebrities to join, and every new member is handed a 1,000+ page rulebook. LACC Rules • No shorts (tailored pants only) • Sport coats in the clubhouse after 6 pm • No changing shoes in the parking lot • No headphones, earbuds, or athletic clothes • No photos or videos of the club on social media Members can also only make phone calls from their parked car or a phone booth in the locker room. And the club is so exclusive that many of the world's best players are seeing it for the first time this week. Rory McIlroy, for instance, hasn't paid for a round of golf in 20 years. But he had never played LACC before this week's US Open, so he says he prepared by watching videos of the course on YouTube. Still, the craziest part about LACC isn't its $250,000 initiation fee or its 1,000+ page rulebook. The craziest part about LACC is its real estate. The 320-acre piece of land sits smack dab in the middle of Beverly Hills — between the famous roads of Sunset Blvd, Wilshire Blvd, and Santa Monica Blvd. The land alone is reportedly worth $8 billion, making it the second most valuable piece of real estate (not developed for housing) behind Central Park in NYC. But here's the craziest part... An $8 billion assessed land value would typically mean hundreds of millions in property taxes alone. But LACC only pays $220,000 in annual taxes. This is because of two rules: 1. LACC is owned by its members and registered as a non-profit. So they benefited when California voters passed a ballot in 1960 that lowered the value at which officials were allowed to assess non-profit golf courses. This non-profit rule also applies to other LA-based golf clubs, like Bel Air Country Club, Brentwood Country Club, and Wilshire Country Club. 2. Then, in 1978, voters passed Proposition 13. This new law rolled back the assessed land value to its 1975 level and more or less froze that value in time. So even if the market value of the land tripled in value, the property's assessed value can only grow by 2% a year or the rate of inflation, whichever is lower. And Proposition 13 also capped property taxes at 1% of assessed value (vs. the previous average of 2.67%). So, in simple terms, Los Angeles Country Club would be paying about $80 million (1%) in annual property taxes because its land is worth $8 billion-plus. But because of these two laws enacted more than 45 years ago, LACC’s land is currently assessed at just $22 million, and they only pay $220,000 in property taxes. LACC Tax Breakdown (estimates) • True value of the land: $8 billion • Assessed value of the land: $22 million • Annual property tax savings: $80 million Now, Proposition 13 wasn’t put in place specifically for golf courses — its true purpose was to protect homeowners who are older, retired, and living on fixed income from payment shock when their property values dramatically increase over a short period of time. But given the financial savings it has provided exclusive golf clubs over the years, it’s no wonder why Los Angeles Country Club wants to keep things exactly as they are. Ps. If you enjoyed this breakdown, subscribe to my podcast (top 25 in US sports) so you don't miss any episodes going forward!

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Sorry for the lengthy cut/paste but found this really interesting on LACC. Especially the tax loopholes and 1000 page rule book!

Los Angeles Country Club is one of the world's most exclusive golf clubs. • $250,000 initiation fees • No celebrities or social media posts And they use a 45-year-old tax loophole to save $80 million annually. Here's how it works: LACC sits on 320 acres in the heart of LA. It's one of the country's nicest (and strictest) country clubs. They don't allow celebrities to join, and every new member is handed a 1,000+ page rulebook. LACC Rules • No shorts (tailored pants only) • Sport coats in the clubhouse after 6 pm • No changing shoes in the parking lot • No headphones, earbuds, or athletic clothes • No photos or videos of the club on social media Members can also only make phone calls from their parked car or a phone booth in the locker room. And the club is so exclusive that many of the world's best players are seeing it for the first time this week. Rory McIlroy, for instance, hasn't paid for a round of golf in 20 years. But he had never played LACC before this week's US Open, so he says he prepared by watching videos of the course on YouTube. Still, the craziest part about LACC isn't its $250,000 initiation fee or its 1,000+ page rulebook. The craziest part about LACC is its real estate. The 320-acre piece of land sits smack dab in the middle of Beverly Hills — between the famous roads of Sunset Blvd, Wilshire Blvd, and Santa Monica Blvd. The land alone is reportedly worth $8 billion, making it the second most valuable piece of real estate (not developed for housing) behind Central Park in NYC. But here's the craziest part... An $8 billion assessed land value would typically mean hundreds of millions in property taxes alone. But LACC only pays $220,000 in annual taxes. This is because of two rules: 1. LACC is owned by its members and registered as a non-profit. So they benefited when California voters passed a ballot in 1960 that lowered the value at which officials were allowed to assess non-profit golf courses. This non-profit rule also applies to other LA-based golf clubs, like Bel Air Country Club, Brentwood Country Club, and Wilshire Country Club. 2. Then, in 1978, voters passed Proposition 13. This new law rolled back the assessed land value to its 1975 level and more or less froze that value in time. So even if the market value of the land tripled in value, the property's assessed value can only grow by 2% a year or the rate of inflation, whichever is lower. And Proposition 13 also capped property taxes at 1% of assessed value (vs. the previous average of 2.67%). So, in simple terms, Los Angeles Country Club would be paying about $80 million (1%) in annual property taxes because its land is worth $8 billion-plus. But because of these two laws enacted more than 45 years ago, LACC’s land is currently assessed at just $22 million, and they only pay $220,000 in property taxes. LACC Tax Breakdown (estimates) • True value of the land: $8 billion • Assessed value of the land: $22 million • Annual property tax savings: $80 million Now, Proposition 13 wasn’t put in place specifically for golf courses — its true purpose was to protect homeowners who are older, retired, and living on fixed income from payment shock when their property values dramatically increase over a short period of time. But given the financial savings it has provided exclusive golf clubs over the years, it’s no wonder why Los Angeles Country Club wants to keep things exactly as they are. Ps. If you enjoyed this breakdown, subscribe to my podcast (top 25 in US sports) so you don't miss any episodes going forward!

Thanks for posting this.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

The piece if this that jumped out at me was 'no changing shoes in the parking lot'.  WTF?

• Like 1

Day 3. Might be a day where some way back on the leaderboard gets out early and posts a number. Course is only going to get more firm and almost crusty like on the greens.

I'm typically not a guy that likes to bash courses. They are what they are. However the USGA had to know with holes 6-8 there was going to be problems. 6 hour rounds. I think I counted the feature groups had 3 separate wait times of 18 minutes on tee boxes. Not good at all.

3 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Was getting ready to say it was Fowler's title to lose until the missed putt on 18.  Big swing to pull Clark, McIlroy, and even Scheffler back into it.

They shouldn't have been out there at that time. USGA screwed them with the late tee times. But thats the USGA for you, if anyone is going to F something up in golf its them. LACC isnt getting any love either. I hope it rains over night and someone shoots 62 coming from the middle of the field and wins. Its what the USGA deserves.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Indykev said:

They shouldn't have been out there at that time. USGA screwed them with the late tee times. But thats the USGA for you, if anyone is going to F something up in golf its them. LACC isnt getting any love either. I hope it rains over night and someone shoots 62 coming from the middle of the field and wins. Its what the USGA deserves.

Yep...those late tee times were amateur hour. They easily could have moved everything up an hour if not more to make sure everyone gets in before dusk. Clarks bogey on 17 and Fowlers on 18 had everything to do with the darkness.

I get the tv angle but one hour wasn't going to change anything.

I've been to LA multiple times and I honestly just never realized LACC was that close to Sunset Strip, Wilshire,etc....I mean from the furthest NW corner of the property is a wedge from Sunset Blvd. 

Just never noticed it before.

Pool wise I'm hoping for Cam Smith. Good stories would be Rory or Rickie....so that means Scheffler just comes out of nowhere and proves why he's #1.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Yep...those late tee times were amateur hour. They easily could have moved everything up an hour if not more to make sure everyone gets in before dusk. Clarks bogey on 17 and Fowlers on 18 had everything to do with the darkness.

I get the tv angle but one hour wasn't going to change anything.

It was getting a little dark, but how can Clark blame his missed putt on 17 on the darkness, yet drain his birdie putt on 18 with no problem.  He needs to just shut up and play golf.  Prove he deserves to be on that stage.  Heck, Clark's slow play on the greens contributed to the problem.  They were a full hole behind the 2nd to last group. 

Should they have started that late?  No.  But, Clark whining about it is not something I can respect.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

It was getting a little dark, but how can Clark blame his missed putt on 17 on the darkness, yet drain his birdie putt on 18 with no problem.  He needs to just shut up and play golf.  Prove he deserves to be on that stage.  Heck, Clark's slow play on the greens contributed to the problem.  They were a full hole behind the 2nd to last group. 

Should they have started that late?  No.  But, Clark whining about it is not something I can respect.  

Fair points for sure.

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Says the guy who has never had to make a putt in total darkness for his livelihood....unfair statement there fouls.

1 minute ago, Indykev said:

You just arent hearing it.

I stated they shouldn't have started as late as they did.  I just think whining about it after you birdie 18 to tie for the lead is bad form.  I don't like whiners.  I like guys who play the hand they are dealt. And, the hand he's been dealt is final pairing on Sunday at the U.S. Open. 

• Like 1

Clark was the deserving winner.  Not sure Fowler will ever win a major.  Doesn't seem to have the makeup for it.  Mcilroy has no excuses.  All he had to do was play Top 5 player in the world golf and it was there for the taking. If Scheffler could putt, he might win 75% of the time.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, rico said:

I could get used to this primetime golf.  

I've always thought the PGA has missed a great window for TV and not had more primetime golf. They might have to move some tourneys around but I've always thought the early season California swing could be moved to Summer.

Only real competition during the summer is baseball. It doesn't have to a big number of events but maybe like 2-3 put in there somewhere.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Clark was the deserving winner.  Not sure Fowler will ever win a major.  Doesn't seem to have the makeup for it.  Mcilroy has no excuses.  All he had to do was play Top 5 player in the world golf and it was there for the taking. If Scheffler could putt, he might win 75% of the time.  

That one shot on his last hole on Thursday came back to haunt Rory......Sweeping completely beneath the ball on that chip. 

All the tap in pars didn't help. He had so many birdie misses. A stat they mentioned, I think was that he didn't sink any putts from outside 8 feet all weekend (or maybe it was just on Sunday). The crazy thing was that he had a lot of good long putts that just missed....it's not like he putted horribly. Welp, close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades. 

I guess it was Clark's time to shine. Good story. Happy for him. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Never was a Rickie Fowler guy because I believe in merit based results....but he was a marketing dream and we get it. Took years of lumps and getting beat up by the public. Really happy for him to get that win. So many people in any line of work fold up shop, take their millions and sail away. He kept grinding and got a W that just might jump start his career again.

• Like 1