PGA/General Golf

Seeking6

Deere Run this week for PGA. Have played the course several times. Growing up near there it's always been a tournament I loved dating back to Payne Stewart winning in 1982.

They've struggled for decades but have seemed to finally get their standing. Even though it's an afterthought tourney I'm hoping that with new schedules and formats they'll be able to attract more and more of the youth movement on tour who are looking to get first win.

On 7/2/2023 at 2:45 PM, Seeking6 said:

Never was a Rickie Fowler guy because I believe in merit based results....but he was a marketing dream and we get it. Took years of lumps and getting beat up by the public. Really happy for him to get that win. So many people in any line of work fold up shop, take their millions and sail away. He kept grinding and got a W that just might jump start his career again.

He won the Players, hardest event to win. He got married, that screws every guy up for years. Seen it 100 times on tour. Look at Rory. Hasn't won a major since he got married. Matt Gogel one year Won the first 2 events on the Nike Tour. week 3 was an off week and he got married. NEVER made a cut the rest of the season. Missed his PGA Tour card by a couple of thousand dollars. Basically one cut.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Indykev said:

He won the Players, hardest event to win. He got married, that screws every guy up for years. Seen it 100 times on tour. Look at Rory. Hasn't won a major since he got married. Matt Gogel one year Won the first 2 events on the Nike Tour. week 3 was an off week and he got married. NEVER made a cut the rest of the season. Missed his PGA Tour card by a couple of thousand dollars. Basically one cut.

Now I know why my golf game is so bad.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Last major of the year. Weather doesn't look bad at all. Might be some pretty low numbers out there tomorrow and the course will get more difficult as the week goes along.

All my Fanduel tickets have mostly chalk but some sleepers that could slide in are Poston, Lingmerth, Ewen Ferguson......shoot I expect Paddy to make an appearance on the weekend leaderboard.

Chalk wise I'm doing combos of Rory, Cam, Brooks, Hatton, Fleetwood....with guys like McCarthy and Scott peppered in for cheaper salaries.

Some good scores from Fleetwood, Harman, Cink along with Spieth, Homa, Noren and others.  Those pot bunkers wreaked havoc on numerous players.  This was a pretty calm day, I guess, with over 30 players under par.  Weather prediction says things likely to be worsening through the weekend.  The bunkers have been raked in a way that a ball won't roll back toward the center.  I saw a number of balls that were lying right up next to the face of the bunker.  Justin Thomas finished his horrible round (82 - 11 over par) with a 9 on the 18th hole due to some bad shots, obviously, and trying to get out of a green side trap sideways only to land in another one.

Edited by jv1972iu
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Justin Thomas has some real issues with his game right now.  Trying to think of a comparable scenario where a Top 10 golfer simply imploded in such a short amount of time.  Davis Love III?

Yeah, I read that he's got 3 top ten finishes in his last 17 starts.  He's been just plain awful in the majors.  Yet, he's still being considered for the Ryder Cup team, I read.

12 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Justin Thomas has some real issues with his game right now.  Trying to think of a comparable scenario where a Top 10 golfer simply imploded in such a short amount of time.  Davis Love III?

He's got work to do to make Fedex playoffs. What's even worst is the tweet I saw said he might need sponsor invites to certain designated events next year.

• Like 1

DJ won't be playing this weekend as he shoots 81 following up his 74 yesterday for 13 over par total.  Phil will be joining him also as he presently stands at 10 over par with six holes to play.  Right now the cut line is 2 over par.  Meanwhile, Brian Harman shoots a magnificent 65 to follow up his 67 yesterday for 10 under par as the Open leader at this time.

Edited by jv1972iu
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, jv1972iu said:

DJ won't be playing this weekend as he shoots 81 following up his 74 yesterday for 13 over par total.  Phil will be joining him also as he presently stands at 10 over par with six holes to play.  Right now the cut line is 2 over par.  Meanwhile, Brian Harman shoots a magnificent 65 to follow up his 67 yesterday for 10 under par as the Open leader at this time.

Haven't had a chance to watch any today but it seems the afternoon scores are much higher. Trying to put my finger on it but this tourney needs a jolt of something....anything to get the excitement level going.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Haven't had a chance to watch any today but it seems the afternoon scores are much higher. Trying to put my finger on it but this tourney needs a jolt of something....anything to get the excitement level going.

I'm hoping for some Open weather.  Let's see some rain to go with today's wind.  No one really made a move on Harman, so we need the elements to become more of a factor.  I actually wouldn't mind Harman winning.  The big names have pretty much all faltered so far.  I thought Spieth had something going, but once again couldn't hold onto his momentum.

Edited by jv1972iu
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

I'm hoping for some Open weather.  Let's see some rain to go with today's wind.  No one really made a move on Harman, so we need the elements to become more of a factor.  I actually wouldn't mind Harman winning.  The big names have pretty much all faltered so far.  I thought Spieth had something going, but once again couldn't hold onto his momentum.

Harman has always seemed like a good dude...would be nice for a guy to get his first one. Long ways to go. I don't know the weather for certain...sounds like rain could be heavier for leaders tomorrow afternoon which means someone could start early, post a number and hope Harman comes back a bit.

12 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Seems like the guys are scoring today. Rahm especially. Rory off to good start but just missed another 10 footer for birdie.

Surprise of the tourney so far to me? Scheffler just not figuring it out yet.

Rahm trying to apply some pressure is now 7 under on his round heading to #17.  Playing with a chip it seems... nothing to lose so going all out.  Can Harman hold up playing last??

Edited by jv1972iu
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jv1972iu said:

Harman bogies #1...and the pressure increases.

Harman may have weathered the storm today.  Boy, Spieth is still struggling to get back to what he was.  I absolutely hate his swing.  It just seems loopy or loose...whatever you want to call it.  He just seems to struggle with consistency or control.  And once something goes slightly wrong...he's done.  You can see it in his body language.  He won those three majors so quickly and then the Masters disaster happened.  I think that still haunts him.  

Edited by jv1972iu

@Indykev if you wouldn't mind sharing. How many holes or rounds or events would it take for either you to say something to the player about their putting or the player saying something to you about the lines?

Just curious. I'm assuming it would take several events for a change to happen either in approach or whatever but Rory's putting is just crap.

4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Haven't been able to watch a single hole of the tournament yet.

Frustrating when other things are going on during the week of The Open.

Might get to watch the back nine of the lead groups on Sunday.

I watched today for the first time but only here and there. Between Summer stuff and whatever it's always a tough tourney to watch. They used to send the leaders off so early they were done by noon at the latest. Now with the tv times changed it's a tough one to work in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

@Indykev if you wouldn't mind sharing. How many holes or rounds or events would it take for either you to say something to the player about their putting or the player saying something to you about the lines?

Just curious. I'm assuming it would take several events for a change to happen either in approach or whatever but Rory's putting is just crap.

The best in the world read their own putts, Tiger used to call Joey in just to confirm. 99.9% of the time Joey would just parrot what Tiger was seeing. I had a guy who wanted me to look at every putt, he asked me twice one year what I thought. Then he would just say, Right edge. Just looking for me to say yes. Rory's caddie is his buddy from home, enough said.

As far as talking about their putting, I would after the round say, meet you on the putting green? Never on the course would you every say something about how their putting is shit. But if I said something about the putting green and Stevie Wonder in the same sentence they knew I was not happy. There is this kid I loved working for, he wasnt very good, played one season on tour but we did have a 3rd place finish. Most fun year I ever had on tour. I called him Stevie Wonder and Ray Charles so many times after a round he came out the next day wearing dark glasses and had a walking stick. Funniest thing I every seen a Pro do. Great kid. He is a multi-millionaire now, owns a heavy equipment rental company in Cali. Offers me a job every year on my Birthday.

Rory has putted like crap for years. Either he goes to Brad Faxon or Stan Utley to fix it or who he is who he is.

Edited by Indykev
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Indykev said:

The best in the world read their own putts, Tiger used to call Joey in just to confirm. 99.9% of the time Joey would just parrot what Tiger was seeing. I had a guy who wanted me to look at every putt, he asked me twice one year what I thought. Then he would just say, Right edge. Just looking for me to say yes. Rory's caddie is his buddy from home, enough said.

As far as talking about their putting, I would after the round say, meet you on the putting green? Never on the course would you every say something about how their putting is shit. But if I said something about the putting green and Stevie Wonder in the same sentence they knew I was not happy. There is this kid I loved working for, he wasnt very good, played one season on tour but we did have a 3rd place finish. Most fun year I ever had on tour. I called him Stevie Wonder and Ray Charles so many times after a round he came out the next day wearing dark glasses and had a walking stick. Funniest thing I every seen a Pro do. Great kid. He is a multi-millionaire now, owns a heavy equipment rental company in Cali. Offers me a job every year on my Birthday.

Rory has putted like crap for years. Either he goes to Brad Faxon or Stan Utley to fix it or who he is who he is.

Appreciate this insight very much. I'm not even a Rory guy but seeing someone miss that many putts (I think he's 112th this week...not sure why they track guys who missed cut) time after time someone or himself needs to step in at some point I would think.

I was born on putting because I wasn't long. Inside 7 feet I just made them so it always drives me crazy when these guys miss so many. I know it's different greens and all but geez. Thanks again for the insight.