The 2019-20 College Basketball Season (non-IU)

5fouls

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, 13th&Jackson said:

79F15059-720D-4DC5-AE65-2D1E0BDD93DB.jpeg.7ade96d560a48fe5fea01a3c7f8df0b9.jpeg883ABEAA-E5A5-4AF3-9E4C-347C3D57CFB5.jpeg.1b9cd516360dc4270c492f97b2f55105.jpeg

Except that's Sonny Liston prone on the canvas (one of my favorite lines in "Ring" magazine said, "He was down so long they were selling advertising space on the bottoms of his shoes") and the "Down goes Frazier!" line by Howard Cosell was in the Frazier-Foreman fight where Big George yo-yoed Smokin Joe off the mat 6 times in 2 rounds...

But it does fit!

Just a general comment. With LA, Indy, Houston, and NYC being the 4 host cities for Regional play in tourney.....I'm going to be real curious about which teams get shipped. If Gonzaga is #1 in West I'm assuming they get LA...so does that mean San Diego St gets shipped to Midwest or East because Baylor will get South/Houston?

9 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Except that's Sonny Liston prone on the canvas (one of my favorite lines in "Ring" magazine said, "He was down so long they were selling advertising space on the bottoms of his shoes") and the "Down goes Frazier!" line by Howard Cosell was in the Frazier-Foreman fight where Big George yo-yoed Smokin Joe off the mat 6 times in 2 rounds...

But it does fit!

Yeah, the pictures were next to each other and I was just lazy

1 hour ago, rico said:

What's wrong with Louisville and Seton Hall?

No clue honestly. Usually this is the time of year where teams toward the top 8 or so in country start separating themselves. The way things are shaping up those 7/10 winner plays 2 or 6/11 winner plays 3 games in tourney are looking mighty tasty for upsets. 

I'm going to start a new feature titled 'NET Rating Believe it or Not!'.

Virginia won at North Carolina yesterday and moved up 1 spot from 56 to 55.  Not a vintage UNC team, by any means, but a win in Chapel Hill is still a solid victory.

Staying in that part of the country, UNC Greensboro leapfrogged Virginia (and Indiana) in the NET ratings, moving from 61 to 54.  What monumental accomplishment did the fine young lads from Greensboro achieve to warrant such a boost in their tournament resume?  They won a road game at ............MERCER.  That's right, the NET rating gives more credence to a road victory at Mercer than it does for one at Chapel Hill  Well, Mercer must be mighty stout this year.  They are, that is if you consider a 13-14 record to be stout, with losses to the likes of a 9-16 Canisius and a 3-24 Holy Cross team to be solid losses.

So, to recap, Greensboro beating a team that lost to an opponent that is 3-24 is a greater achievement than Virginia beating a team that was good enough to beat Oregon earlier in the year, and lose to Duke by just 2 a week or so ago.

Makes perfect sense to me.  :coffee: 

5 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I'm going to start a new feature titled 'NET Rating Believe it or Not!'.

Virginia won at North Carolina yesterday and moved up 1 spot from 56 to 55.  Not a vintage UNC team, by any means, but a win in Chapel Hill is still a solid victory.

Staying in that part of the country, UNC Greensboro leapfrogged Virginia (and Indiana) in the NET ratings, moving from 61 to 54.  What monumental accomplishment did the fine young lads from Greensboro achieve to warrant such a boost in their tournament resume?  They won a road game at ............MERCER.  That's right, the NET rating gives more credence to a road victory at Mercer than it does for one at Chapel Hill  Well, Mercer must be mighty stout this year.  They are, that is if you consider a 13-14 record to be stout, with losses to the likes of a 9-16 Canisius and a 3-24 Holy Cross team to be solid losses.

So, to recap, Greensboro beating a team that lost to an opponent that is 3-24 is a greater achievement than Virginia beating a team that was good enough to beat Oregon earlier in the year, and lose to Duke by just 2 a week or so ago.

Makes perfect sense to me.  :coffee: 

Between NET, Kenpom, Lunardi, and a few others....the attention these rankings get and actually influence the tourney committee is frightening. People say it's not big deal,etc....sorry it actually is. Watch us lose today and while losing on the road vs Michigan isn't a bad loss....we'll probably drop from 57 to 81 in NET somehow.

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Between NET, Kenpom, Lunardi, and a few others....the attention these rankings get and actually influence the tourney committee is frightening. People say it's not big deal,etc....sorry it actually is. Watch us lose today and while losing on the road vs Michigan isn't a bad loss....we'll probably drop from 57 to 81 in NET somehow.

As an IU fan, do I have some bias against things that make the Hoosiers look bad (or at least not good).  Sure, I do.  But, that's why I used Virginia and Greensboro for my examples.  I have no affinity or disdain for either school. 

Much like IU, for whatever reason, the computers seem to hate Virginia this year.  And, it's a sad state of affairs when a low-level major gets more respect than the defending national champion.  The committee certainly has their work cut out for them this year to see beyond all of the BS these computerized models are spewing out.  .  

26 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

As an IU fan, do I have some bias against things that make the Hoosiers look bad (or at least not good).  Sure, I do.  But, that's why I used Virginia and Greensboro for my examples.  I have no affinity or disdain for either school. 

Much like IU, for whatever reason, the computers seem to hate Virginia this year.  And, it's a sad state of affairs when a low-level major gets more respect than the defending national champion.  The committee certainly has their work cut out for them this year to see beyond all of the BS these computerized models are spewing out.  .  

I really try to embrace metrics.  But the more I try to fully understand them, I get more confused.

3 hours ago, rico said:

What's wrong with Louisville and Seton Hall?

All I know is when I watched Louisville play Duke they were the best team in the country.  I was very impressed.  Just college BBall this season I guess.

Kentucky squeaking by Ol Miss at home was enjoyable.  Ol Miss gave that game away. 

1 minute ago, rico said:

Don't look now but UK has sole position of 1st place in the SEC thanks to Auburn and LSU.  

Whether they win the SEC or not, I will be very surprised if UK makes the Sweet 16.  I just can't see them beating any team seeded 6th or better in the NCAA tournament.

17 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Whether they win the SEC or not, I will be very surprised if UK makes the Sweet 16.  I just can't see them beating any team seeded 6th or better in the NCAA tournament.

I really don't think the SEC is that good personally.  But my how the 'Cats fortunes have turned since their early season struggles.

3 minutes ago, rico said:

I really don't think the SEC is that good personally.  But my how the 'Cats fortunes have turned since their early season struggles.

I didn't realize it until I was watching the Loyola / Northern Iowa game last night, but Evansville is 0-13 in the Missouri Valley.  I realize you have the upheaval around the whole Walter McCarty stuff, but how on earth did that team beat UK?

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Here's a newsflash. Yesterday was a glimpse of Illinois next year because Ayo isn't coming back. Much like many of us said last year how bad Purdue would look on offense without Carsen. 1 player can cover up plenty of stench. 

This is pretty weak, usually you're better than this. You really think a road game with only 3 games to adjust to Ayo's absence is going to tell us much about next year when they'll have a full off-season of practice plus the addition of 2 top 50 guards? They'll also miss Feliz who's a real competitor but overall they'll have a better team next season.

3 minutes ago, BruceDouglas said:

This is pretty weak, usually you're better than this. You really think a road game with only 3 games to adjust to Ayo's absence is going to tell us much about next year when they'll have a full off-season of practice plus the addition of 2 top 50 guards? They'll also miss Feliz who's a real competitor but overall they'll have a better team next season.

A better team without Dosunmu, Cockburn, and Feliz?  No way.

51 minutes ago, BruceDouglas said:

Just having a little fun. Call it a TeamworkOrange moment.Haha.. My apologies. 

1 hour ago, 13th&Jackson said:

OSU, by winning at home versus Purdue goes from 23 to 17. PU by losing at OSU goes from 29 to 33. So OSU gained 10 spots against PU by beating them at home, when PU came in 6 spots behind them. That seems like an awfully large gain for OSU this late in the season 

The other big factor that moves teams though is what your past competition is doing.   If teams you played lose then your #'s get worse.  If they win then they get better.   Everything is fluid.   Say you beat a top 10 team early in the season.  Most likely you get a nice bump.   But 5 weeks later that team you beat is on a 5 game losing streak and they are no longer in the tournament talk.   That really nice win is now not mpressive.   

Our precon schedule has several teams dragging us down:

Western Illinois 5-18, lost yesterday

Portland St. 12-14, lost yesterday

North Alabama 10-16, lost yesterday

Troy 9-18 lost yesterday

Princeton 11-10

UConn 13-11

Go Hoosiers!!!

4 minutes ago, Indy1987 said:

The other big factor that moves teams though is what your past competition is doing.   If teams you played lose then your #'s get worse.  If they win then they get better.   Everything is fluid.   Say you beat a top 10 team early in the season.  Most likely you get a nice bump.   But 5 weeks later that team you beat is on a 5 game losing streak and they are no longer in the tournament talk.   That really nice win is now not mpressive.   

Our precon schedule has several teams dragging us down:

Western Illinois 5-18, lost yesterday

Portland St. 12-14, lost yesterday

North Alabama 10-16, lost yesterday

Troy 9-18 lost yesterday

Princeton 11-10

UConn 13-11

Go Hoosiers!!!

La Tech is 19-7...

18 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Georgetown was missing their top two scorers and had 5 healthy scholarship players. 3 guys played 40 minutes and another played 37. Butler now 7-6 in BE and next two on the road at Seton Hall and Creighton.

To be fair, Butler was missing 3 guys. With their thin roster, they need everyone healthy to compete, although they should still beat Georgetown at home.

Archived