Al Durham - Respect

Al is getting recognized for his offensive growth, but for whatever reason seems to continue to be somewhat overlooked, or underappreciated, imo, in comparison with some of the other guys. 

Started this quick thread to give him some props. He is playing at a high level and is an integral part of this team, for sure.

Against Troy:

He played the most minutes (28), and had the highest plus-minus (29).

Shot 5-10 FGs, 3-4 from the arc, and 4-4 from the stripe -- that last line takes him to 14-14, as in perfect, so far on the season.

His 4 assists tied the game high.

He is a big part of our offensive push game - he is getting the team downhill. 

His outside game was already decent, it looks better, he's spreading the floor.

Offensive stats in these first four games:

3 PT: 53%

FG: 63%

FT: 100%

16.8 PPG

2.3/1.8 assist-turnover ratio

Heck of a start.

Fantastic start for Al. I figured he would be improved this year, but not to this extent. Will be interesting to see how he does again better competition (same can be said forr most of the team) , how is minutes shake out when Rob and Green are at full health and whether he starts over Green or pushes Burunk to the bench in a 3 guard lineup. For depth purposes, and for the development of Jerome, I hope we are not using three guards too much.  

31 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Fantastic start for Al. I figured he would be improved this year, but not to this extent. Will be interesting to see how he does again better competition (same can be said forr most of the team) , how is minutes shake out when Rob and Green are at full health and whether he starts over Green or pushes Burunk to the bench in a 3 guard lineup. For depth purposes, and for the development of Jerome, I hope we are not using three guards too much.  

I know he's not a "guard", but if we stick to a 3 guard lineup, I think Hunter can play as the 3rd guard. 

35 minutes ago, 3Ballin said:

I know he's not a "guard", but if we stick to a 3 guard lineup, I think Hunter can play as the 3rd guard. 

Yes, won't rehash the types of a 3 here. Waiting for Jerome to have his breakout game. I think he is thinking more than reacting at this point.

36 minutes ago, 3Ballin said:

One of the lineups we had against Troy was De'Ron, Race, Jerome, Damezi, and Devonte. I thought that was the most interesting lineup Archie put out there.

And Jerome can handle the ball. Would I want him to be the primary ball-handler against a Nolan Richardson "40 minutes of hell" team? No, but he looked like he had a good handle in the open floor to me.

As for Al, I expressed my appreciation for him in the Troy game thread, but I still think he's the 3rd best guard we have. Love the kid, his leadership, and his attitude, but that's how I see it.

20 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

...and yet, he just keeps outperforming the two in front of him...time will tell I guess.

A little unfair at this point as Rob has half of Al's minutes and Devonte 1/6th...

But believe me, this is one of those opinions I could be wrong on and gladly eat my crow.

I think we are starting to see "Archie's players" and his system come out a little bit.

I was very impressed at the defense at times during Troy.  Our close-outs on 3p were picture perfect -- quick, choppy steps -- and made me smile.  Active hands, getting in the face of the offensive player, etc.

As fans, we get excited by the new 5* freshman as they walk in the door but just as valuable is the development a player sees during their summers.  Players seem to be improving under Archie.  

Let's see how we do against real opponents.

44 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

A little unfair at this point as Rob has half of Al's minutes and Devonte 1/6th...

But believe me, this is one of those opinions I could be wrong on and gladly eat my crow.

I hear you, but it's not just the volume...it's the efficiency.  It's not unfair to assume that a junior Al Durham would be a little better than a sophomore Rob Phinisee.  I'm also not saying that he won't end up being better than Al over his career.  I simply don't see him better right now and I have doubts he'll be better even over the entire season, but we'll see...long way to go, but Al looks really, really good.

Ive made 2 posts in this thread so far and neither were about Al.  

Al has been our best shooter so far this year and has been playing out of his mind.  I cant wait to see how the rest of the year goes for him as I think he will keep it up even after we eat all the cupcakes.

43 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I hear you, but it's not just the volume...it's the efficiency.  It's not unfair to assume that a junior Al Durham would be a little better than a sophomore Rob Phinisee.  I'm also not saying that he won't end up being better than Al over his career.  I simply don't see him better right now and I have doubts he'll be better even over the entire season, but we'll see...long way to go, but Al looks really, really good.

I think they're two different players for two different roles. If I had to pick between the two and the role was for a point guard, floor general to run my offense, get everyone involved, defend the other teams point guard, etc., etc., I'm picking Rob. If the role is as a combo guard, secondary ball handler, but also a scorer/slasher on the wing that helps with some pg duties, then I'm picking Al.

The good thing is, IU doesn't have to choose. IU has both roles available and both guys to fill what suits them best. 

Archived