Princeton at Indiana Post game

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

I think Rob will eventually start, once he get some practice time under his belt. He's obviously rusty.

Right now, I see the starting 5 as 

Brunk

TJD

Smith

Green

Phinisee

I think that that'll be the backcourt for 2 main reasons. 1) Archie has said Devonte is at his best "along side someone" and being off the ball. 2) That's our best defensive backcourt tandem (but Al isn't far behind in that area).

I also think that looking how last night's minutes were distributed, Archie is honing in on his rotation...

Durham

Thompson

Davis

All getting a good slice of playing time

Hunter

Anderson

Franklin

Getting less, but, depending on the situation, still getting time. Very fluid as the year goes along.

archie did say that about green but he wasn't playing off the ball last night. he was playing point mostly

3 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

My biggest takeaway was body language.  Loved our overall demeanor and  I feel confident that we wont have to keep saying good Devonte and bad Devonte.  Kid is showing great leadership .

From AP article:

Green returned from a hamstring injury on Saturday. By Wednesday, he was knocking down shots, making one-handed passes, even hugging teammates after making 5 of 8 from the field while dishing out four assists.

"I feel a lot more comfortable," Green said. "I've been out for a while so it feels good to be back and I felt comfortable with the guys."

Have to like what we've seen from the chemistry so far.

^^ Agreed, for sure.

However -- just my take here -- people seem to make season-long type conclusions based on our preliminary, weak non-con games when several players are still coming off injuries and illness.

Rob is coming off strep throat and earlier injury. Making declarations like he's not going  to start at this point is way, way premature. He's our best point guard, hands down. He's been sick and injured, he's clearly not 100% yet. Key word there: "yet"

For the thousandth time, Justin is not a "3". There is simply no definition in basketball that makes him a "3" (well, to get ahead of Fouls, besides his jersey number). That is not the spot he is playing, he is playing in a three-forward lineup as a mobile, rolling, opportunistic forward, and is doing really well at it. A real positive. We're developing a team that can play several different looks, the ability to play big, the ability to play rangy, it's going to pay dividends. But you can't ignore that Rob is still working himself back and the lineup would be different if he were in starting shape / health. Add to that that the lineups generally have been more effective when we have an actual "wing" on the floor, with the ability to spread the floor and be quicker. Brunk is really solid. But we haven't seen that lineup against a B1G level group with its own big forwards. 

Hunter is going to need more time to get his game speed, conditioning, and timing going. But he's one of our best offensive weapons. Seriously doubt he's a limited minutes guy. Still early to make season-long assessments. We've had a grand total 5 games, against weak opponents, with guys coming back from injury and illness. 

Al continues to get underappreciated. It's getting kind of mind boggling to me. He's a key piece to this team including going forward. 

2 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

The fact they're both at least competent either on or off ball is a good thing. 

Absolutely. This is one of the more flexible rosters IU has had in some time. Archie is figuring out the combinations he likes on the floor.

Also creates better competition in practices. 

26 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

^^ Agreed, for sure.

However -- just my take here -- people seem to make season-long type conclusions based on our preliminary, weak non-con games when several players are still coming off injuries and illness.

Rob is coming off strep throat and earlier injury. Making declarations like he's not going  to start at this point is way, way premature. He's our best point guard, hands down. He's been sick and injured, he's clearly not 100% yet. Key word there: "yet"

For the thousandth time, Justin is not a "3". There is simply no definition in basketball that makes him a "3" (well, to get ahead of Fouls, besides his jersey number). That is not the spot he is playing, he is playing in a three-forward lineup as a mobile, rolling, opportunistic forward, and is doing really well at it. A real positive. We're developing a team that can play several different looks, the ability to play big, the ability to play rangy, it's going to pay dividends. But you can't ignore that Rob is still working himself back and the lineup would be different if he were in starting shape / health. Add to that that the lineups generally have been more effective when we have an actual "wing" on the floor, with the ability to spread the floor and be quicker. Brunk is really solid. But we haven't seen that lineup against a B1G level group with its own big forwards. 

Hunter is going to need more time to get his game speed, conditioning, and timing going. But he's one of our best offensive weapons. Seriously doubt he's a limited minutes guy. Still early to make season-long assessments. We've had a grand total 5 games, against weak opponents, with guys coming back from injury and illness. 

Al continues to get underappreciated. It's getting kind of mind boggling to me. He's a key piece to this team including going forward. 

Which is why I qualified my assessment with "very fluid as the year goes along." I'm just going on what I see on the floor, and what I hear in Archie's post game presser.

As for Al, I don't think I've underappreciated him at all. He's just not, as good a point guard as Rob, nor as good a shooting guard as Devonte. At least in my opinion.

3 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Like positionless basketball, I practice topicless posting. 

Well what is sad is that there has been way more traffic this week on the basketball recruiting board than the football board.  We have a huge football game at home this week but we were more worried about a recruit who did not choose IU.

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Well what is sad is that there has been way more traffic this week on the basketball recruiting board than the football board.  We have a huge football game at home this week but we were more worried about a recruit who did not choose IU.

50 years of "been there, seen that" is hard to overcome.  A win over UM would be great, but underdog status aside, we will be fighting the striped shirts IMO (BT seems to always give a little "advantage" to their ranked, pet teams against the likes of us).

2 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

50 years of "been there, seen that" is hard to overcome.  A win over UM would be great, but underdog status aside, we will be fighting the striped shirts IMO (BT seems to always give a little "advantage" to their ranked, pet teams against the likes of us).

Yes have seen that plenty over my 40+ years of watching IU football.

11 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

I haven't looked, but has there been any update on either Rob or De'Ron?  I guess we probably won't hear anything, so that makes my question rather stupid.  Nevermind.

It looked like they took Rob to the locker room for a quick concussion evaluation.  It looked to my untrained eye like he was acting fine on the bench and came back from the locker room pretty quickly - so I'm hoping he's OK.

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Which is why I qualified my assessment with "very fluid as the year goes along." I'm just going on what I see on the floor, and what I hear in Archie's post game presser.

As for Al, I don't think I've underappreciated him at all. He's just not, as good a point guard as Rob, nor as good a shooting guard as Devonte. At least in my opinion.

My rant is just rant, was pointing to you or really to anyone in particular. Definitely agree with the fluid comment -- it has to be fluid, we keep having key players injured or sick. One day, everyone will be healthy.

Archived