Princeton at Indiana Post game

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just watched the game on DVR. 

Devonte could have had 3-4 more assists had our Bigs finished.  He's going to be good, very good, this season. 

Rob may not start if Archie wants to continue to play Justin at the 3.  I just don't see how Devonte or Al are not starting. 

Race may have had a couple of sloppy plays, but man does he put some stats in the box score.  5 points, 5 boards, 2 assists, and 2 steals.  That type of production from a bench player helps you win games.

1 hour ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Solid fundamental game. Unselfish. Bigs played well off each other. Brunk and TJD both very high B-ball IQs. Green and Smith both played under control. Race was solid. Hunter a no show. Damezi missed shots but was fairly solid on defense. Rob looked like he wasn’t feeling well. Al had career high in assists 

Interesting how people watch the same game and can have different takeaways. I felt that the main reason Anderson didn't play as much was because of how bad his defense was. 

27 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Devonte could have had 3-4 more assists had our Bigs finished.  He's going to be good, very good, this season. 

Rob may not start if Archie wants to continue to play Justin at the 3.  I just don't see how Devonte or Al are not starting. 

Race may have had a couple of sloppy plays, but man does he put some stats in the box score.  5 points, 5 boards, 2 assists, and 2.  That type of production from a bench player helps you win games.

agree. it's great to see our best point guard, green, back running the offense. just wait until he gets his feet under him and his teammates start converting on his great passes. another solid showing for smith at the 3. i think damezi might struggle when the competition gets stronger. although brunk had a great game, he seems less athletic than i hoped, along the lines of deron. thompson is going to help us on the boards. trayce will be twice the player in 3 months. interesting comment you made about rob not starting. possible. oh yeah, that shot by bybee...pure

We played great defense on Arirguzoh the whole game (averages 17 ppg, held to 4 points). Kudos to Joey and Race. We played good second half D on Llewellyn. He had 13 at the half, but only finished with 15. He kept them close. 

Disappointed for both Jerome and Damezi. Both had defensive issues. I saw Archie giving Jerome some animated instruction about 5 minutes into the second half. Pretty sure it was about D.

I'll take the win, but it wasn't our prettiest baby, particularly the first half. Itching to see better competition.

33 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

We played great defense on Arirguzoh the whole game (averages 17 ppg, held to 4 points). Kudos to Joey and Race. We played good second half D on Llewellyn. He had 13 at the half, but only finished with 15. He kept them close. 

Disappointed for both Jerome and Damezi. Both had defensive issues. I saw Archie giving Jerome some animated instruction about 5 minutes into the second half. Pretty sure it was about D.

I'll take the win, but it wasn't our prettiest baby, particularly the first half. Itching to see better competition.

I remember seeing CAM get on Hunter then too.  Not a great showing tonight from him, but i think playing a team like that can be hard if ur still working the kinks out of your game.  I would much rather Hunter and Anderson for that matter stumble here than against B1G teams.

7 hours ago, BGleas said:

Interesting how people watch the same game and can have different takeaways. I felt that the main reason Anderson didn't play as much was because of how bad his defense was. 

I thought so too, which was a shame. I was thinking Damezi would continue to improve every game.

He and Jerome cross their feet on defense way too much. Damezi has wound up on his backside more than once over it. That half step you lose is all the offensive guy is looking for. 

They need to watch Devonte and Rob on the ball. I think both are really good on the ball defenders. They both stay in front well and don't reach. Body them all the way to the basket.

7 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

My biggest takeaway was body language.  Loved our overall demeanor and  I feel confident that we wont have to keep saying good Devonte and bad Devonte.  Kid is showing great leadership .

I'll throw another name in there...Justin Smith. That kid is really dialed in right now. Communicating, listening to his coaches, and positive body language. Excellent defense and he's not forcing anything and he's not turning it over.

Last game he was 2-2 from 3...last night he didn't even attempt one. That's maturity.

1 hour ago, 3Ballin said:

I remember seeing CAM get on Hunter then too.  Not a great showing tonight from him, but i think playing a team like that can be hard if ur still working the kinks out of your game.  I would much rather Hunter and Anderson for that matter stumble here than against B1G teams.

I think both Jerome and Damezi have to realize as we get into the more competitive non-conference and into the conference games, the OJT phase is at its end. CAM has to be able to trust them, especially on the defensive end, or their minutes will be limited.

31 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I'll throw another name in there...Justin Smith. That kid is really dialed in right now. Communicating, listening to his coaches, and positive body language. Excellent defense and he's not forcing anything and he's not turning it over.

Last game he was 2-2 from 3...last night he didn't even attempt one. That's maturity.

Yes sir.  I agree. Those 2 will be key

9 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Race may have had a couple of sloppy plays, but man does he put some stats in the box score.  5 points, 5 boards, 2 assists, and 2 steals.  That type of production from a bench player helps you win games.

If Rob isn't good enough to start then I think it's safe to say we have a pretty good team.  I thought he would be our most important player this season.

8 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

If Rob isn't good enough to start then I think it's safe to say we have a pretty good team.  I thought he would be our most important player this season.

He just seems to still be a little behind where he was last season before the concussion.  I can only assume that all of the injuries have taken a little bit of a toll.

Meanwhile. Devonte, Al, Justin, and Race are clearly better than they were last December.  Throw in Brunk and TJD as additions and Rob's importance to the team seems to be less than it was last season. 

Again. I have to assume the injuries have prevented him from making the progress others have, but it is what it is, and he may not be a starter unless Archie can get Al or Devonte to buy into being the 6th man.

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

It's almost like a light switch got flipped, and he realized "Hey, I'm a multi-faceted player......I don't have to force anything! I can just take what they're giving me!"

23 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

He just seems to still be a little behind where he was last season before the concussion.  I can only assume that all of the injuries have taken a little bit of a toll.

Meanwhile. Devonte, Al, Justin, and Race are clearly better than they were last December.  Throw in Brunk and TJD as additions and Rob's importance to the team seems to be less than it was last season. 

Again. I have to assume the injuries have prevented him from making the progress others have, but it is what it is, and he may not be a starter unless Archie can get Al or Devonte to buy into being the 6th man.

I think Rob will eventually start, once he get some practice time under his belt. He's obviously rusty.

Right now, I see the starting 5 as 

Brunk

TJD

Smith

Green

Phinisee

I think that that'll be the backcourt for 2 main reasons. 1) Archie has said Devonte is at his best "along side someone" and being off the ball. 2) That's our best defensive backcourt tandem (but Al isn't far behind in that area).

I also think that looking how last night's minutes were distributed, Archie is honing in on his rotation...

Durham

Thompson

Davis

All getting a good slice of playing time

Hunter

Anderson

Franklin

Getting less, but, depending on the situation, still getting time. Very fluid as the year goes along.

26 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I think Rob will eventually start, once he get some practice time under his belt. He's obviously rusty.

Right now, I see the starting 5 as 

Brunk

TJD

Smith

Green

Phinisee

I think that that'll be the backcourt for 2 main reasons. 1) Archie has said Devonte is at his best "along side someone" and being off the ball. 2) That's our best defensive backcourt tandem (but Al isn't far behind in that area).

I also think that looking how last night's minutes were distributed, Archie is honing in on his rotation...

Durham

Thompson

Davis

All getting a good slice of playing time

Hunter

Anderson

Franklin

Getting less, but, depending on the situation, still getting time. Very fluid as the year goes along.

I think that you are mostly right here...That being said, I think that Princeton presented a more complex look offensively than the vast majority of teams we will play. While Jerome and Damezi had a couple of breakdowns defensively each, I think that they were were taken off the court in the first half because they were forcing it a bit offensively.

There was actually a time where the television feed picked of CAM saying "What the Hell was that?" after a forced shot early in the shot clock by Anderson.

Those two along with Franklin are going to help us a lot this year. I think Hunter and Franklin end up with more minutes per game average than Davis and Anderson. I could see them getting similar minutes to Race as well.

As of now, I'm in the camp that Rob is coming off the bench to back up Green and Durham but will get near the same minutes as those two. It wouldn't surprise me to see Rob flip flop with Durham at some point. Right now, Als O is ahead of Robs and his D just slightly behind. Right now, Rob is not much of an offensive threat. Need to be able to count on him offensively and the consistency just isn't there. Rob is averaging 1 more assist than Al  but Al outshooting him 61-42% (50-37% on 3s) producing an average of 5ppg more (14-9).

6 hours ago, ButlerHoosier said:

I also love to watch Archie on the sideline. You pretty much know what is going on with him. It is pretty transparent. Also you can tell how ticked off or frustrated he is by how much clothing is removed. Haha. 

plus he looks like he dropped 15 lbs

Archived