What will it take for IU to make the Top 25

7 hours ago, BornHoosier said:

How will wins over Rutgers & Neb get us in the top 25 when wins over FSU & OSU did nothing?  I think wins @ Rutgers & Nebraska followed by a win over the overrated MSU will finally get us ranked but a loss to any will set us back!

Wins over Ohio State and Florida State didn't do nothing, they got us 50 votes.  If we pick up two conference away games there will be teams ahead of us that lose allowing us to take their spot.

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Honestly we could go the whole season without being ranked and still comfortably make the tourney. It’d be nice to finally see the team ranked again, but win well enough to make the tourney means a lot more 

In 2002 we were in and out of the polls.  In the final one, we were not ranked.  #5 seed.

I think we are going to see a lot of B1G teams getting in the polls and then bounced out.  At least that is what I see.  The key is to getting in the polls and sticking.  If that happens that means we are winning...that goes with all the other conference teams.

The problem with the polls is teams starting in the polls(or highly ranked) usually tend to not be hurt by a loss or two.  Most likely because the idiots that voted for them to begin think they were correct to begin with.  Makes it hard to get in.  Teams not ranked have to go on a winning streak  and any loss usually takes them out of consideration(even a road loss to a ranked team).

If we pull out the next 2 road games I can't imagine us not getting ranked.  Lose to Rutgers and we probably need to win @Nebraska, MSU and MD to crack the poll.  

Go Hoosiers!!!

1 hour ago, rico said:

I think we are going to see a lot of B1G teams getting in the polls and then bounced out.  At least that is what I see.  The key is to getting in the polls and sticking.  If that happens that means we are winning...that goes with all the other conference teams.

i think we agree for once!  looking at who #19-28 play this week, IF we could manage to win both games, i think there'd be a decent chance we'd sneak in at 25.  thing is, no bets that we win those 2 road games and if we do, we turn around and play Mich St., Maryland, and @ Penn St.!  Lord, i'll be happy if we win 3 of those 5!

12 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i think we agree for once!  looking at who #19-28 play this week, IF we could manage to win both games, i think there'd be a decent chance we'd sneak in at 25.  thing is, no bets that we win those 2 road games and if we do, we turn around and play Mich St., Maryland, and @ Penn St.!  Lord, i'll be happy if we win 3 of those 5!

I think that winning three of those five puts us in the more important group, which is "near lock for the tournament". The ranking part is just perception for the most part. For instance, Virginia has been given the benefit of the doubt this year because they won it all last year. But, they are simply not a good team. they are not as dominant defensively and have no where to consistently find scoring...yet, they have been ranked for a good portion of the year.

Truly, I don’t care about ranking. In a season like this, ranking matters even less because of the absolutely INCREDIBLE parity in the nation, certainly in our conference. Which, any and all taking heads understand is the most brutal in the country. 

If you had told me last year this year’s conference would be tougher, there’s no way I would have believed it.

• 2 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i agree we'd deserve it if we win vs. MD, but we have a lot of teams to jump between us and #25 based on the last poll.

If we win Sunday, I can't wait to see who still votes Michigan, Ohio State, and Purdue ahead of IU.  Those will be sure signs of voters that have no clue. 

8 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

If we win Sunday, I can't wait to see who still votes Michigan, Ohio State, and Purdue ahead of IU.  Those will be sure signs of voters that have no clue. 

What I can’t understand is, how these team keep losing while we are winning and they keep voting them ahead of us. Ohio St has lost what 6 out of 7 game in the big Ten and still ranked above in top 25. 
How can a team in second to last place still be in the top 25.

Archived