What will it take for IU to make the Top 25

42 minutes ago, Bob said:

What I can’t understand is, how these team keep losing while we are winning and they keep voting them ahead of us. Ohio St has lost what 6 out of 7 game in the big Ten and still ranked above in top 25. 
How can a team in second to last place still be in the top 25.

They won't be on Monday.

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, rico said:

That it does.  It is like voters don't want to be proven wrong or something.

Another answer might be found here

Very heavy east coast bias. The state of Indiana only has 1 voter (Jeff Rabjohns).

And I may be off base here, but I always thought IU got the short end of the voting stick because we once employed Bob Knight, who, as we all know, disliked any media person not named Hammel.

There are still a few voting that remember the comparison to prostitution.

After the game last night on Assembly Call they were going through the KenPom rankings and it still had IU at #37 and Maryland at #11.  I don't know what all goes into this ranking but that is ridiculous because we have the same record overall and in the conference and I doubt their OOC schedule was that much harder than ours.  Also said that our defensive ranking is up to #30 and our offensive ranking is #59

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

After the game last night on Assembly Call they were going through the KenPom rankings and it still had IU at #37 and Maryland at #11.  I don't know what all goes into this ranking but that is ridiculous because we have the same record overall and in the conference and I doubt their OOC schedule was that much harder than ours.  Also said that our defensive ranking is up to #30 and our offensive ranking is #59

Wins and Losses mean nothing in KenPom.

It's all about efficiency. Also note that KenPom is not used by the selection committee.

For example, Texas was KenPom #25 last year and ended up being a 2 Seed.....in the NIT.

Just now, JugRox said:

Wins and Losses mean nothing in KenPom.

It's all about efficiency. It's not used by the selection committee.

For example, Texas was KenPom #25 last year and ended up being a 2 Seed.....in the NIT.

That makes absolutely no sense to me at all because you play to win the game.

Just now, IU Scott said:

That makes absolutely no sense to me at all because you play to win the game.

And now you know why some people don't like some of these analytics. KenPom is something for the fans to reference....but in reality, it has some flaws just like any other system.

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

If you have been here long enough you would know that I hate analytics

And stat geeks everywhere are shaking their collective heads.  But you are right.  In the end it is about wins and losses.  No "Pythagorean Theorem" is gonna change a team's record.  

Since this is already derailed, I once took an exit ramp with my range readout showing zero miles before empty.  I think when we looked it up, I put in the entire tank capacity. Man, was my wife pissed.

The newer range readouts take all the fun out of it by converting to "LOW" well before zero. 

On 1/24/2020 at 6:50 PM, FKIM01 said:

Since this is already derailed, I once took an exit ramp with my range readout showing zero miles before empty.  I think when we looked it up, I put in the entire tank capacity. Man, was my wife pissed.

The newer range readouts take all the fun out of it by converting to "LOW" well before zero. 

On my car, it flips to “low” at 30 miles to go. I can do the math from the odometer from there.

as much as i think we'll deserve top 25 if we win today, i'm not so sure it will happen.  technically we were 41 with the votes in the AP coming in.  i believe only 3 teams have losses between 19-25.  then between 26-40 how many have lost?  i know it's not an exact science, but if by going by that we'd only move up say, 7 spots to 34, would they really have us hop those other 9 teams?  i hope so.

21 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

as much as i think we'll deserve top 25 if we win today, i'm not so sure it will happen.  technically we were 41 with the votes in the AP coming in.  i believe only 3 teams have losses between 19-25.  then between 26-40 how many have lost?  i know it's not an exact science, but if by going by that we'd only move up say, 7 spots to 34, would they really have us hop those other 9 teams?  i hope so.

True, but I believe the voters will have a day of reckoning if we beat Maryland.  I see no way they can keep us out.

Archived