What will it take for IU to make the Top 25

7 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

still say losers mentality to "not care" if we're in the top 25

It's not a losers mentality because the Top 25 is not actually winning or losing anything.  It's a reflection of a finite group's perceptions.  In that sense, it's no more accurate than Instagram likes. 

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Zlinedavid said:

It's not a losers mentality, because the Top 25 is not actually winning or losing anything.  It's a reflection of a finite group's perceptions.  In that sense, it's no more accurate than Instagram likes. 

It's important for national perception and as a recruiting platform.  Comparing it to Instagram likes is disingenuous.  I think you know this but just stating in this way to make a counterpoint 

Just now, CincyHoosier said:

It's important for national perception and as a recruiting platform.  Comparing it to Instagram likes is disingenuous.  I think you know this but just stating in this way to make a counterpoint 

Despite my often humorous nature, the statement above is a complete and accurate reflection of my opinion of the Top 25 as a standalone entity, and without getting onto another soapbox, the Instagram comment was made with as much vitriol as could possibly be implied.

The fact that Virginia, Purdue or whoever are "ranked" and we are not does not bother me in the least, particularly the AP.  This week has proven exactly that.  Purdue loses and yet one AP voter moves them up? Shows the degree of accuracy they put into it. 

In terms of perception and/or recruiting, the ranking itself doesn't matter so much as what the ranking is supposed to reflect: winning.  Let's say we finish the regular season 20-11 and lose in the 2nd round of the tournament.  Is anyone going to care whether we're #25 in the final polls or not? I certainly don't.  Does it make a difference in how the season will be perceived? Does ending the season with a tiny little number next to the name mean that much more?

If we were ranked #25 in the upcoming poll, does that make any concerns we have about this season go away? Does it suddenly enhance our team's ability? No.  It's a reflection of a finite group of opinions for a moment in time. 

"...but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale....
full of sound and fury,

Signifying nothing."

32 minutes ago, rico said:

Explain to me what a Top 25 is supposed to look like?  A team like Virginia?

I know there is a lot of parody this year, but what I mean is that compared to previous top 25 IU teams, this one doesn’t look top 25 caliber. For example, I’d expect a previous top 25 team to win out at home. I don’t expect that from this team. 

I’d like to be in the top 25 because that is where good programs belong, top 25 teams get more airplay, media mentions, etc. It’s true that you do not win anything, for being in the top 25, but I think it is a positive for a program.

The next 6 games, which are an interesting mix which I am looking forward to watching, will make it pretty clear where we stand. We play a team we have a good chance of beating (Arkansas ), a road game we will most likely lose (MD), a home game we should absolutely win (NW), a home game that could put us on the map (OSU) followed by two road games (Rutgers and Nebraska) that looked on paper, before the season, to be two of our best opportunities for road wins.  To get to 10-10 in the conference, which would safely get us in the tourney, it is important to win at least one of those road games.

12 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I know there is a lot of parody this year, but what I mean is that compared to previous top 25 IU teams, this one doesn’t look top 25 caliber. For example, I’d expect a previous top 25 team to win out at home. I don’t expect that from this team. 

You can't look at it that way because each year is different.  I would say whoever is number 1 this week would have had a hard time being in the top 25 in 1989.  That statement is not fair to this years team just like comparing this years IU teams to other ranked IU teams.

37 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Despite my often humorous nature, the statement above is a complete and accurate reflection of my opinion of the Top 25 as a standalone entity, and without getting onto another soapbox, the Instagram comment was made with as much vitriol as could possibly be implied.

The fact that Virginia, Purdue or whoever are "ranked" and we are not does not bother me in the least, particularly the AP.  This week has proven exactly that.  Purdue loses and yet one AP voter moves them up? Shows the degree of accuracy they put into it. 

In terms of perception and/or recruiting, the ranking itself doesn't matter so much as what the ranking is supposed to reflect: winning.  Let's say we finish the regular season 20-11 and lose in the 2nd round of the tournament.  Is anyone going to care whether we're #25 in the final polls or not? I certainly don't.  Does it make a difference in how the season will be perceived? Does ending the season with a tiny little number next to the name mean that much more?

If we were ranked #25 in the upcoming poll, does that make any concerns we have about this season go away? Does it suddenly enhance our team's ability? No.  It's a reflection of a finite group of opinions for a moment in time. 

"...but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale....
full of sound and fury,

Signifying nothing."

It may not matter to you but being "ranked" does signify a certain amount of relevance for a program.  For what it's worth, I dont care too much for the rankings this time of year either.  But I cant dismiss them as being meaningless.

7 minutes ago, CincyHoosier said:

It may not matter to you but being "ranked" does signify a certain amount of relevance for a program.  For what it's worth, I dont care too much for the rankings this time of year either.  But I cant dismiss them as being meaningless.

I think we all can agree we just want a winning team that makes the tournament and makes a good showing.

14 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

You can't look at it that way because each year is different.  I would say whoever is number 1 this week would have had a hard time being in the top 25 in 1989.  That statement is not fair to this years team just like comparing this years IU teams to other ranked IU teams.

Yes I can.  😎  

To be ranked in the top 25 would be nice.  Having said that. It's all window dressing this year.  What really matters is where IU stands in the NET.  A key factor the committee uses for the tournament.  IU moved from the 30's last week, which was good. Now in the high 20's. Which is even better.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

I would say whoever is number 1 this week would have had a hard time being in the top 25 in 1989.  

Well, a lot of that would have to do with the fact, that other than JaQuan Lyle, there is not a college basketball player today that was even alive in 1989.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Of course you can say that but I don't think it is a fair way to think about it.

I was admittedly speaking in generalities and opinion if you read my OP.  Somewhere along the line I conjured up an idea of what a top 25 team looks like in my head and it's my opinion that this team (so far) is not that. I don't particularly think it's fair to compare a team today to teams in 1989, but hey, I get the general point you are trying to make.

.....My general point: I think there are 25 teams better than this team now and unless something changes, there will be more than that come March. 

And I really hope that come March you can shove this post in my face because I was wrong. 

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

To be ranked in the top 25 would be nice.  Having said that. It's all window dressing this year.  What really matters is where IU stands in the NET.  A key factor the committee uses for the tournament.  IU moved from the 30's last week, which was good. Now in the high 20's. Which is even better.

Quoting myself to add :  IU's current RPI is looking good as well.

3 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

That's pretty high expectations for a top 25 team. That sounds more like a top 10 team to me. If we beat Arkansas, we will be 5-1 against power conference teams. I have a hard time seeing how more could be expected from the 25th ranked team.

I agree with several others, the rankings do matter and I do want IU to be ranked as high as possible consistently. It's kind of just semantics to say that the ranking itself doesn't matter but what comes with it does. 

I do also agree with others that we don't really 'look' like a top 25 team right now. Yes, a win is a win, and I understand the parity aspect in college basketball right now, etc., but a team that's top 25 and playing really well should beat Nebraska at home comfortably. Yes, I know Nebraska beat Purdue, but Purdue isn't great and that was home for Nebraska. We shouldn't have to go to overtime at home (on the road, sure) against Nebraska. 

Yes, Notre Dame isn't a pushover, they have a good coach, etc., but still a top 25 team that is playing really well should win that game going away. 

I think this IU team is a tournament team, but I'm not sure we're a top 25 team. The guard and wing play is just way too inconsistent, erratic and streaky. Phinisee and Green can't seem to stay healthy, Durham has come back down to earth after the cupcake schedule, Franklin is a freshmen and inconsistent as freshmen should be, guys like Anderson and Hunter are just completely hit/miss, and Smith (when he's a wing) can't shoot from outside the paint and struggles to drive. 

The team also lacks upperclassmen leadership, and while TJD, Phinisee and Franklin seem like good future leaders, it's tough when your two captains are wildly inconsistent and your senior big can't play 30-seconds without committing two fouls. 

I actually think it's a pretty big accomplishment what Archie is doing with this team, given what he has in the junior/senior class. No, I'm not trying to make this a Crean thing, but let's be real, Green, Durham, Davis and Smith aren't the strongest upperclassmen around in terms of leadership, consistency and overall skill compared to high level competition. 

2 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Honestly, that sounds about right. My feeling is we are in the 30-35 range.  We do have some nice wins.  We aren't "embarrassing" as some have put it.  Other than TJD, we don't really have any impact talents.  Can we get on track to being better than the sum of our parts?  I think there are signs of that.  That's where I'd like to see us get as a program, which will make us doubly dangerous if we get more impact talent.

Archived