What will it take for IU to make the Top 25

18 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

UConn isn't the UConn of old, but they're not a cupcake. Especially in what amounted to a home game for them.

All I was saying is that rankings are subjective.  Much is based on what happened last year and some is based on impressions of IU over the past several years.  If IU wins out over the rest of December, wins all or most of our remaining home games, and wins three or more BIG road games, you can be sure we will be ranked by season's end.  And if PU, or PSU, or MSU, or MU, or any other BIG team fails to do as well, we will be ranked above them.  After that, it is up to the team to get as far as they can in the post season.

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

The B10 has 11 teams in the top 51. Yeah, this conference season is going to be a slugfest.

Also, in terms of our opponents: Florida St 27, UConn 69, Louisiana Tech 86, Notre Dame 105, Nebraska 153

So for those that question the viability of the LA Tech win....its going to help us.

8 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

The B10 has 11 teams in the top 51. Yeah, this conference season is going to be a slugfest.

Also, in terms of our opponents: Florida St 27, UConn 69, Louisiana Tech 86, Notre Dame 105, Nebraska 153

So for those that question the viability of the LA Tech win....its going to help us.

Yet, 90% of fans will call Louisiana Tech a cupcake and Notre Dame a quality win based on name recognition alone.  Hell, I bet even half the college basketball announcers would do that.  That type of off-based criticism drives me nuts. 

What this means is you don't want to be the next one that whines about our schedule.  I might just go off on you.  :coffee:

15 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

11 in the top 51.

12 in the top 61. 

The only two B10 teams outside the top 100 are Northwestern (174) and Nebraska (153).  And although they may have a cupcake ranking, we've seen that Nebraska has the ability to bite back. 

Well, technically, Purdue saw Nebraska bite back.  We were able to sit back and enjoy it.

3 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Yet, 90% of fans will call Louisiana Tech a cupcake and Notre Dame a quality win based on name recognition alone.  Hell, I bet even half the college basketball announcers would do that.  That type of off-based criticism drives me nuts. 

What this means is you don't want to be the next one that whines about our schedule.  I might just go off on you.  :coffee:

If we had a tougher schedule in November we would probably be in the top 25. :coffee:

With regard to people saying our schedule is soft...I give you this little nugget. On Saturday we will have played our 5th opponent in the KenPom top 100 (Norte Dame) and the other 4 being FSU, UConn, Wisconsin and LA tech - we are 10-1. Kentucky has played only 1 team in the kenpom top 100 and are 10-2.

EDIT - Utah is now #100 in Kenpom since they beat UK LOL so I guess UK has played 2 (barely). 

14 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

With regard to people saying our schedule is soft...I give you this little nugget. On Saturday we will have played our 5th opponent in the KenPom top 100 (Norte Dame) and the other 4 being FSU, UConn, Wisconsin and LA tech - we are 10-1. Kentucky has played only 1 team in the kenpom top 100 and are 10-2.

EDIT - Utah is now #100 in Kenpom since they beat UK LOL so I guess UK has played 2 (barely). 

Good point. No doubt our schedule had a bunch of weaker teams to start and is getting harder fast, but 

- unlike a number of teams, we didn't choke (except Wisconsin, on the road) against the weaker teams, we took care of business

- and the wins against FSU, UCONN and La Tech are solid W's. 

Now our guys have to continue to step up as the schedule steps up. Do that and they'll be fine.

On ‎12‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 6:47 AM, 5fouls said:

My only problem with the early schedule was that it is so home intensive. That is why the road game at Wisconsin stands out. Had we previously had even a neutral court game before that one I think it helps. To step into the Kohl Center as your first road game of the season is a rough test. I would prefer to have at least one or two neutral court games early on. We now have the UCONN game...and will soon have the ND game but it would have been nice to had those earlier. I think last year the Arkansas game helped us early on...it was away and definitely strengthened us early in the season (we didn't learn anything against Duke lol). That would be my only change...and also why I like the early season tournaments. La Tech is a fine early season opponent...and obviously we aren't playing them there. I just prefer the ND/UCONN/ARK/FSU games scheduled before the B1G schedule. In fact..I like the other games before the ACC challenge too because every other year we go on the road and will face a tough resume building opponent and I want to be prepared. It just didn't work out that way this year.  

so again i will admit that i am not so sure we are a top 25 team, but i was just looking at SD St.  they haven't played a good team yet.  i would think if we played that schedule we'd likely be 11-0 as well.  are they legit?  asking for real because i know nothing about them, but i'm trying to figure out why they get credit with that schedule.  

Archived