Penn State Postgame Thread

KDB

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Fair, but we have won on a neutral floor against a good team. 

The team definitely has to play better on the road, but at this point we DO look like a tourney team.

At this point, the goal should be to a) hold serve at home, b) play better and get a W on the road, and c) make the tourney. Do those things and we'll have a better chance at advancing in the tourney, it will take care of itself.

I agree we should be in the tournament.  With our guard play and general play away from home, I just don't think we have much of a shot to do anything when we get there.  Hope to be wrong.

I am not as concerned about us losing on the road since it seams no one in the B1G can win on the road.  My concern is that we don't even look like the same team when playing on the road vs playing at home.  I just don't understand how we can look so inept at shooting, running an offense and at times defending while playing teams on the road.  Losing is one thing, losing where it looks like you forgot everything CAM taught you is another thing.  

Unfortunately we make a square when we go from home to a way and away back to home.  We turn the corner every time.  From tournament level talent to bottom of the barrel in the conference.  Consistency needs to be a major focus going forward and not being consistently bad on the road and consistently good at home.  We should be finding level by this time.  The team, coaches and players, need to find their heart and soul every game, not just when in the friendly confinds of Assembly Hall.

And TJD is a stud.  GO HOOSIER

1 hour ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Fair, but we have won on a neutral floor against a good team. 

The team definitely has to play better on the road, but at this point we DO look like a tourney team.

At this point, the goal should be to a) hold serve at home, b) play better and get a W on the road, and c) make the tourney. Do those things and we'll have a better chance at advancing in the tourney, it will take care of itself.

The problem i have with your statement is we didn't play enough Neutral court games to say this team can win consistently in that position.  They don't play well on the road, that we know.  They at times play elite level defense and good to great offense at home.  Unfortunately, we won't be playing at home in the NCAA tournament, so i am not sold we can run very far in a neutral court situation.  If we are NIT bound we could very well run all the way to the final 4 since we could hold home court advantage throughout.

Either way, i really wish we would play closer to what we do at home while on the road.  That would very much make me feel alot better about losing.

3 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

The problem i have with your statement is we didn't play enough Neutral court games to say this team can win consistently in that position.  They don't play well on the road, that we know.  They at times play elite level defense and good to great offense at home.  Unfortunately, we won't be playing at home in the NCAA tournament, so i am not sold we can run very far in a neutral court situation.  If we are NIT bound we could very well run all the way to the final 4 since we could hold home court advantage throughout.

Either way, i really wish we would play closer to what we do at home while on the road.  That would very much make me feel alot better about losing.

Maybe we get seeded in the Midwest and somehow get to Sweet 16/Elite 8 home games in Indy? Haha..

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Yes, conveniently leaving out "facts" like beating FSU, OSU (who, while you point to them at the bottom of the conference, were once ranked in the top 5), and MSU...

Fact:  Devonte went off against FSU and was the main reason we got that win.  Fact:  Devonte is a Crean recruit.  Crean gets the credit for the FSU win as Archie is being given credit for Dayton’s success.

5 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Fact:  Devonte went off against FSU and was the main reason we got that win.  Fact:  Devonte is a Crean recruit.  Crean gets the credit for the FSU win as Archie is being given credit for Dayton’s success.

I'm not sure I saw any post that said Archie should be credited with anything related to Dayton outside of the culture he fostered. That may or may not be true.

But saying any game where any Crean recruit has a good game should be chalked up to CTC is a bit of a stretch...even for a lawyer...

34 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Oh now, but of course we haven't had a bunch of neutral floor games, but how many teams have?

Like I said, we definitely have to play better on the road. I mean, that's a given.

You seem to go out of your way to look for problems, though. We had two solid neutral floor games, UCONN and ND. We won both. On the B1G road, we just played a terrible game. But before that we won, easily, by 8 at Neb. Rutgers is undefeated at home, we lost there by 9, before winning at Neb.We then played two very good games against MSU and MD, yes, at home. This isn't sunshine pumping, it's just looking at what we've done lately, and lately, we've been playing a lot better, but followed by a real setback against PSU. 

The "problem" I have is with the chicken little reactions, and, seriously, that's what they are. OK, we just had a really bad game, but don't just ignore what led up to it. We're clearly a better team than we were early, and you know, having guys like Hunter and Race on the floor, as reflected in the last few games, matters. Let's see what we do in the next few. This team has been playing as a tourney team, it should get there. We'll see.

18 hours ago, Madison22 said:

Source:  From InsideTheHall:  "(This) was the worst offensive performance for the program from an efficiency standpoint since 2009. Indiana finished with just .7 points per possession, its lowest mark since scoring just .698 against Michigan State in Tom Crean’s first season.

This is why many are "overreacting".  We had to watch this.

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

I'm not sure I saw any post that said Archie should be credited with anything related to Dayton outside of the culture he fostered. That may or may not be true.

But saying any game where any Crean recruit has a good game should be chalked up to CTC is a bit of a stretch...even for a lawyer...

He’s a lawyer ?

50 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Oh now, but of course we haven't had a bunch of neutral floor games, but how many teams have?

Like I said, we definitely have to play better on the road. I mean, that's a given.

You seem to go out of your way to look for problems, though. We had two solid neutral floor games, UCONN and ND. We won both. On the B1G road, we just played a terrible game. But before that we won, easily, by 8 at Neb. Rutgers is undefeated at home, we lost there by 9, before winning at Neb.We then played two very good games against MSU and MD, yes, at home. This isn't sunshine pumping, it's just looking at what we've done lately, and lately, we've been playing a lot better, but followed by a real setback against PSU. 

The "problem" I have is with the chicken little reactions, and, seriously, that's what they are. OK, we just had a really bad game, but don't just ignore what led up to it. We're clearly a better team than we were early, and you know, having guys like Hunter and Race on the floor, as reflected in the last few games, matters. Let's see what we do in the next few. This team has been playing as a tourney team, it should get there. We'll see.

I honestly had a really long and drawn out response but its not worth it.  You and I will never see eye to eye on anything other than we both want IU to be good and win.  Where we differ is on what we consider good.

Other than that, you have your opinion, please continue to do you, and i have mine.  Both are probably right and wrong. 

Feel free to ignore me and my post or not respond.  I am not going to change your mind and nothing you say is going to change mine.

Go Hoosiers!

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

Well I am a lawyer and have drafted numerous contracts so I know a thing or two.  Common sense would say any buyout is offset by whatever Archie would earn elsewhere.  But you are right that this is Fred we are talking about and seems to only enter into contracts that are beneficial to the other side and not Indiana University

8 minutes ago, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

He’s a lawyer ?

From the "Devil's Advocate" thread he says he is...

24 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I honestly had a really long and drawn out response but its not worth it.  You and I will never see eye to eye on anything other than we both want IU to be good and win.  Where we differ is on what we consider good.

Other than that, you have your opinion, please continue to do you, and i have mine.  Both are probably right and wrong. 

Feel free to ignore me and my post or not respond.  I am not going to change your mind and nothing you say is going to change mine.

Go Hoosiers!

Sounds good to me

On 1/30/2020 at 3:15 PM, IU Scott said:

I would totally agree with you on a coach but like I said Archie is at 10 in the highest paid coaches.  Also if their was a bona fide coach who was available I would be right with you but there is not any.

That sounds like a good sound bite for public consumption but is totally misleading.  First of all, I am not sure it's even accurate as I read somewhere that Archie was below that.  Beyond that, a better gauge for what IU pays is that Kentucky pays 3X for their basketball coach.  IU is by definition a basketball school.  Football is doing fine but at a totally different expectation level.  If you combine our salaries for basketball and football, we are very low on the list.  

The trap you fall into then is if you say, of course we are low because our football program does not warrant a $6 million man.  True.  But, our basketball program should not be mired with a coach at 1/3 of the salary of another basketball school.

If you offer a top coach a salary with a $7 or $8 handle, the notion that you can't get something is so absurd it's not worthy of discussion.  

If Bill Self leaves Kansas soon, which is widely speculated, watch them offer Chris Beard something with a $6 handle.  That's precisely not what IU will do.

Archie has some potential and his epitaph is hardly written yet so let's hope for the best.  But the topic at hand is IU's commitment to basketball relative to the prestige and hierarchy of IU basketball.

23 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I'm not even sure what the team showing a pulse has to do with Archie coming unglued with one minute to go in a game is decided - it's just making an ass of himself for the sake of making an ass of himself. 

I'm not even sure what your question is asking; it's a pretty broken sentence and I don't want to assume what you are asking so please clarify.

I have no idea if you and I see eye to eye on expectations; I can guarantee you and I don't see eye to eye on how ton conduct ourselves and how to motivate players.

Long story short, does Archie survive a 3rd straight tournament denial?  When your backs against the wall, I expect a little more emotion from a leader whose troups continue to embarrass Hoosier Nation every road game.  The unglued comment was directed towards Archie’s lack of respect he continues to get form the B10 officials since entering the league.  No pulse from the players or coach on the road is embarrassing so hope this message was a little more clarifying.

On 1/30/2020 at 10:28 AM, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

Disagree on rob he’s far and away our best guard and he’s played at probably 90% or less the majority of the time he’s played ...he is the only one competent enough to play make which can be difficult when the other teams pack the interior because they have zero respect for our outside shot ...he’ll be great for us 

MAJORLY Agree on recruiting however ...we need to put heart and iq on par with talent in the evaluation process ...guys that would rather die than lose will do as much for you as a 40 inch vertical 

No worries, this is a message board and we’re all entitled to our opinions which are just that opinions until become facts.  I’m praying for Rob to be the leader we all hoped for but I guess I had bigger expectations is all.  

11 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I am not as concerned about us losing on the road since it seams no one in the B1G can win on the road.  My concern is that we don't even look like the same team when playing on the road vs playing at home.  I just don't understand how we can look so inept at shooting, running an offense and at times defending while playing teams on the road.  Losing is one thing, losing where it looks like you forgot everything CAM taught you is another thing.  

Unfortunately we make a square when we go from home to a way and away back to home.  We turn the corner every time.  From tournament level talent to bottom of the barrel in the conference.  Consistency needs to be a major focus going forward and not being consistently bad on the road and consistently good at home.  We should be finding level by this time.  The team, coaches and players, need to find their heart and soul every game, not just when in the friendly confinds of Assembly Hall.

And TJD is a stud.  GO HOOSIER

TRUTH!!  You said everything I tried to say but much less broken!  

1 hour ago, BornHoosier said:

Long story short, does Archie survive a 3rd straight tournament denial?  When your backs against the wall, I expect a little more emotion from a leader whose troups continue to embarrass Hoosier Nation every road game.  The unglued comment was directed towards Archie’s lack of respect he continues to get form the B10 officials since entering the league.  No pulse from the players or coach on the road is embarrassing so hope this message was a little more clarifying.

I thought CAM was asking the referee if the call was on him.  Perhaps he was being a "wise guy".  Don't know.

Archived