Penn State Postgame Thread

KDB

8 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

There were plenty but not to take a pay cut.  EVERY coach has a price the problem is that we are not interested in paying it.

https://www.businessinsider.com/college-basketball-highest-paid-coaches-2018-3/l

List of the top 25 paid coaches in the country and Archie is at 10  Who above him would been willing to come here and everyone below him would have been a raise for them to come here so I still don't see how we are being cheap.

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

https://www.businessinsider.com/college-basketball-highest-paid-coaches-2018-3/l

List of the top 25 paid coaches in the country and Archie is at 10  Who above him would been willing to come here and everyone below him would have been a raise for them to come here so I still don't see how we are being cheap.

At 10 mil a year you would get the attention of all of them. K and Cal and Self know they would not be able to get away with their stuff here. Beilein would have listened even within conference.  Jay Wright and Bennett for sure would have listened for that kind of Money. For 10 million the Bennett family could forgive the treatment given to Cathy. Hoiberg  Scott Drew and I would almost any and all on that list

Does ole Roy do it for free he not on list

Not saying any are better than CAM.  We did.not go all in. 

Just now, Billingsley99 said:

At 10 mil a year you would get the attention of all of them. K and Cal and Self know they would not be able to get away with their stuff here. Beilein would have listened even within conference.  Jay Wright and Bennett for sure would have listened for that kind of Money. For 10 million the Bennett family could forgive the treatment given to Cathy. Hoiberg  Scott Drew and I would almost any and all on that list

Not saying any are better than CAM.  We did.not go all in. 

You might think so but I don't

Man, I wish we woulda had the internet and social media back in 1971...I would have loved to seen the reaction to hiring a 31 year old coach who had just come off an 11-13 campaign at his previous school and led a team that was 17-7 the year before to a 17-8 record...top that off with a methodical offense that fans of the Hurryin' Hoosiers weren't use to, and it would have been a real hoot...

Just now, IUFLA said:

Man, I wish we woulda had the internet and social media back in 1971...I would have loved to seen the reaction to hiring a 31 year old coach who had just come off an 11-13 campaign at his previous school and led a team that was 17-7 the year before to a 17-8 record...top that off with a methodical offense that fans of the Hurryin' Hoosiers weren't use to, and it would have been a real hoot...

And adding to that....he was going to be head coach at Wisconsin and because those folks couldn't keep their traps shut he headed for Bloomington. 

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

The problem with that reasoning is CAM is not producing results that makes us a Top 10 school.  Hell we haven't been a Top 68 yet for that matter.  Just because he's #10 doesn't mean he's better than #25.   Maybe just maybe old Fred made a bad hire and overpaid.  Honestly I think CAM could have been had for a lot less and after showing some progress got a huge raise.  

Regardless CAM will be back next year and get one more try to prove he's the guy.   I'm pulling for him but honestly my confidence and expectations for next year aren't high.

Go Hoosiers!!!

2 hours ago, bstall76 said:

I do not know if he recruited shooters  at Dayton or not, but the shooting numbers show they could shoot.  His 6 years at UD they averaged 36.5% from 3 with a low of 34.4 and a high of 38.7.  Now these are not jaw dropping numbers, but they are significantly better than IU is shooting, and would probably equal a few more wins.

Thank you for the numbers. I can’t remember where I saw it posted that he didn’t recruit shooters at Dayton either. The bottom line is this isn’t Dayton and what may have worked there isn’t necessarily what can work here in the B1G. Hopefully he starts adapting and seeing what it is the roster needs to compete at the top of the conference. I really want to see him succeed at IU. 

15 minutes ago, Indy1987 said:

The problem with that reasoning is CAM is not producing results that makes us a Top 10 school.  Hell we haven't been a Top 68 yet for that matter.  Just because he's #10 doesn't mean he's better than #25.   Maybe just maybe old Fred made a bad hire and overpaid.  Honestly I think CAM could have been had for a lot less and after showing some progress got a huge raise.  

Regardless CAM will be back next year and get one more try to prove he's the guy.   I'm pulling for him but honestly my confidence and expectations for next year aren't high.

Go Hoosiers!!!

Hate saying this, but maybe we, as IU fans, should lower our expectations. I almost feel this is where the program is right now.

That way, by having lower expectations, fans will be pleasantly surprised when the team does well. …. JMO

2 hours ago, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

I’ve been in the mind set all year that we have him at least next year ...if he leaves that is a massive blow and deep hole to fill

Until the student I know told me that, I was of the mindset he would be back too. Now keep in mind the student was told this over the summer so you know TJD could have changed his tune after getting into the season. The student also hasn’t talked to him since summer because the athletes kind of start to group off by sport when school is in session where in summer not everyone is around and the kids that are there actually live close together and see each other more. I really hope he does return because it’s a huge loss if he doesn’t. 

1 minute ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Hate saying this, but maybe we, as IU fans, should lower our expectations. I almost feel this is where the program is right now.

That way, by having lower expectations, fans will be pleasantly surprised when the team does well. …. JMO

Never. Nothing personal to you but no way, never, nada, isn't going to happen at least from this guy. 

2 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

I guess I should have been lowering my expectations for a couple decades now.....wow how time fly’s! This year my expectations are starting to wither and die on the vine!! Same ol same ol!! Shock them!!! Put in a walk on who can shoot!! If the scholly player can’t play on the road sit his ass!! I just don’t understand how we are in this mess in year THREE!!

34 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

People probably wouldn’t have been complaining in year 3 since he won the league in years 2-5. Which makes absolutely no sense because people keep saying how it takes 4 years for a coach to get his players and start being successful. 

2 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

People probably wouldn’t have been complaining in year 3 since he won the league in years 2-5. Which makes absolutely no sense because people keep saying how it takes 4 years for a coach to get his players and start being successful. 

Not taking a side here, but the game has changed just a wee bit since 1971.

6 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

And what you inherit makes a difference also ....plus rmk wasn’t a good coach he was one of the BEST coaches 

1 minute ago, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

And what you inherit makes a difference also ....plus rmk wasn’t a good coach he was one of the BEST coaches 

Is it concerning to anyone else how well Dayton is doing without Archie?  Grant is another guy that was a mid major success but failed miserably when he got to Bama.  Now he is back to a mid major at Dayton and has a top 10 team.  Just think that maybe the program should get a lot of the credit for what happened their when Archie was the coach.  We might have hired our Todd Lickliter IMO.

7 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Not taking a side here, but the game has changed just a wee bit since 1971.

Yeah it takes less time to build a team thanks to transfer rules

3 minutes ago, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

He’s 3 years he’s had more than enough time to get a solid guard line up. Had two open scholarships this year 

18 minutes ago, Indy1987 said:

Go Hoosiers!!!

Well said. Based on what folks are saying about the class coming in, it sounds like there aren't any Romeo's or TJD's coming that will make an immediate impact. Therefore, our improvement next year is going to be based on (1) another year of experience for the guys coming back, and (2) some sort of addition by subtraction chemistry thing happening. 

3 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Is it concerning to anyone else how well Dayton is doing without Archie?  Grant is another guy that was a mid major success but failed miserably when he got to Bama.  Now he is back to a mid major at Dayton and has a top 10 team.  Just think that maybe the program should get a lot of the credit for what happened their when Archie was the coach.  We might have hired our Todd Lickliter IMO.

Yes I have been weary of that also it’s a good point 

4 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Nope

Archived