Penn State Postgame Thread

KDB

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just cannot understand how this team can go from playing well to looking lost on the court.  If they play like they did against MSU and MD there is no way they lose to Penn State.

Is PSU that good on defense that IU just lost the ability to a) pass intelligently, and b) score?  How many layups and bunnies can one team miss in a game?

Also, why was Hunter out and when is Thompson coming back?  Both have started contributing, so now both were/are gone.

3 minutes ago, IUguy said:

I just cannot understand how this team can go from playing well to looking lost on the court.  If they play like they did against MSU and MD there is no way they lose to Penn State.

Is PSU that good on defense that IU just lost the ability to a) pass intelligently, and b) score?  How many layups and bunnies can one team miss in a game?

Also, why was Hunter out and when is Thompson coming back?  Both have started contributing, so now both were/are gone.

Hunter had the flu and he had to keep going back to the locker room during the first half.

Our 3-point shooting is an enigma. The top 3 guards we have in Durham, Green, and Phinisee average 35%, which is not bad at all. The problem is their 3 point shooting is streaky and not consistent. For example, we shot very well beyond the arc in Maryland game, but we lost. We shot miserably in Penn State game, and of course lost. I only took 2 games as examples so there might be different answers if we look at the entire season. 

The thing I always wondered about our bad 3 point shooting has been if our team has been putting enough emphasis on it and if our player movements and sets are friendly to our guards to shoot 3 pointers comfortably. 

2 minutes ago, addictedtoIU said:

Our 3-point shooting is an enigma. The top 3 guards we have in Durham, Green, and Phinisee average 35%, which is not bad at all. The problem is their 3 point shooting is streaky and not consistent. For example, we shot very well beyond the arc in Maryland game, but we lost. We shot miserably in Penn State game, and of course lost. I only took 2 games as examples so there might be different answers if we look at the entire season. 

The thing I always wondered about our bad 3 point shooting has been if our team has been putting enough emphasis on it and if our player movements and sets are friendly to our guards to shoot 3 pointers comfortably. 

To me it appears we shoot better when we are moving the ball and swing it side to side and in and out.  If they can step into their shot the hit but when they are shooting off the dribble or step back they can't hit.  When the players stand around and not screen and move is when the offense bogs down.

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

This is not just on Devonte.  None of the guards could throw it in the ocean last night.  If they are having a night like that, the other coach is going to clog the paint and make them keep chucking.  It's a simple formula and no coaching savant is not to make those baskets for them.

If you want to see stupid, the Facebook fan groups are full of comments about how Archie can't coach, etc.  This is all mental.  I'm not sure how you help these kids overcome it, but short of Archie suiting up, I'm not sure how you overcome that mentally.  Luke Brown looks better and better...

This game should make for much more realistic predictions going into the OSU game.  Sure, IU can win, but expecting it on the road is just setting yourself up for disappointment.

Of course it's not just on Devonte. But, with a couple of these guys, you can blame youth or inexperience (I have no idea what's up with Al). There's really nothing more you can do with a guy who just refuses to play smart basketball in his senior year, and continues time after time to make really poor decisions. He made one of the worst passes I've seen last night (it was some sort of failed lob disaster), continues to take just awful shots, and he's doing all this from a position of leadership on this team. There's no way that's not having an effect on the guys around him. 

21 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

you guys act like IU is shopping at the Dollar store when it comes to coaches.  Our coach is the 10th highest paid coach in college basketball so it is not like we are bargain shopping.

We are bargain shopping. Our admin will be thrilled if we are around the top 25 or 30 year in year out.  The fans we want top 5. To get there you either pony up for the coach or for the players or both. Since most of us dont like the idea of us cheating then make the coach at the 5 time NCAA champion last undefeated team to win it all the highest paid coach

10 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

We are bargain shopping. Our admin will be thrilled if we are around the top 25 or 30 year in year out.  The fans we want top 5. To get there you either pony up for the coach or for the players or both. Since most of us dont like the idea of us cheating then make the coach at the 5 time NCAA champion last undefeated team to win it all the highest paid coach

There is a lot of nuance to this issue. 

Our admin is not Kentucky. Kentucky's admin are killers. I say that in a good way. They know what they want and they make it happen. 99% of schools would have kept rolling with Tubby Smith. Not them. They then canned Billy G after just 2 seasons. 

IU has had the opportunity to be killers for 2 decades now. Instead we hired Mike Davis, Hired Sampson, imposed crazy restrictions on ourselves, hired TOM CREAN, would have kept Tom Crean if it werent for boosters, and then hired Archie (when they were better options available... PS I like Archie as a coach, but more concrete options were available). 

16 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I would totally agree with you on a coach but like I said Archie is at 10 in the highest paid coaches.  Also if their was a bona fide coach who was available I would be right with you but there is not any.

3 minutes ago, IndySportsPartizan said:

Our admin is not Kentucky. Kentucky's admin are killers. I say that in a good way. They know what they want and they make it happen. 99% of schools would have kept rolling with Tubby Smith. Not them. They then canned Billy G after just 2 seasons. 

IU has had the opportunity to be killers for 2 decades now. Instead we hired Mike Davis, Hired Sampson, imposed crazy restrictions on ourselves, hired TOM CREAN, would have kept Tom Crean if it werent for boosters, and then hired Archie (when they were better options available... PS I like Archie as a coach, but more concrete options were available). 

Who were the better options that were available

Just now, NCHoosier32 said:

they shouldn't even be thinking about firing Archie until possibly the end of next year.  now if he we don't make the tourney this year or next, i don't see why that wouldn't be getting some heavy consideration.  

If we miss the tourney this and next year then it would be time to look elsewhere but let see how it plays out.

29 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

To me it appears we shoot better when we are moving the ball and swing it side to side and in and out.  If they can step into their shot the hit but when they are shooting off the dribble or step back they can't hit.  When the players stand around and not screen and move is when the offense bogs down.

So if I understood you correctly, you think it's more of a player issue. They get lazy and not moving well and effectively, and our 3 point shooting suffers. And then it could become a coaching issue if this issue doesn't get fixed for a long time. Or our team just doesn't have good basketball IQ collectively and doesn't know how to react to different defenses. 

Just now, addictedtoIU said:

So if I understood you correctly, you think it's more of a player issue. They get lazy and not moving well and effectively, and our 3 point shooting suffers. And then it could become a coaching issue if this issue doesn't get fixed for a long time. Or our team just doesn't have good basketball IQ collectively and doesn't know how to react to different defenses. 

It is probably a little bit of everything you mentioned but I put most of it on the players.  You see what this offense can look like when it is going good like the MSU and Maryland games.  it seems like when adversity strikes the players go back to their old lazy ways.

10 minutes ago, IndySportsPartizan said:

Just out of curiosity, what options did we have other than Archie? I remember we had that crazy Billy Donovan thread and talked about Gregg Marshall, but other than those, did we have anyone that we had a good chance?

8 minutes ago, addictedtoIU said:

Just out of curiosity, what options did we have other than Archie? I remember we had that crazy Billy Donovan thread and talked about Gregg Marshall, but other than those, did we have anyone that we had a good chance?

Just prior to the hiring of Coach Miller.  SI, published a list of candidates.  It's at the bottom of this long link :

Indiana basketball coaching candidates to replace Tom Crean - Sports Illustrated

45 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I would totally agree with you on a coach but like I said Archie is at 10 in the highest paid coaches.  Also if their was a bona fide coach who was available I would be right with you but there is not any.

There were plenty but not to take a pay cut.  EVERY coach has a price the problem is that we are not interested in paying it.

Archived