Penn State Postgame Thread

KDB

I don’t like not being able to shoot! That sucks ,but it happens. What I can’t get over is our lack of taking care of the ball. No excuse for Rob and Smith running into each other and losing the ball out of bounds! Also 15 steals are you kidding me 15 steals. No defense is that good! I think for every steal the coaches should be fined a 1000.00 dollars. Maybe then would get in some players faces! 

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can see how people could point at how well Dayton is doing without Archie, but wouldn’t it make sense to say that it’s gonna be a hell of a lot easier to have a record of 19-2 playing in the Atlantic 10 conference instead of the Big Ten? Let’s put Dayton and the coach they have now in our conference and see how well they do. 

18 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

It has. 

The players are worse, they're soft and wimpy in comparison, they're less skilled, they're not even actually more athletic, the game is worse, the rules are bad

Signed,

Scott

:) 

I knew it!  But, isn't it against the board rules to have multiple screen names?

Now you also have me thinking @Stlboiler23 and @hoosiertildeath might be the same person.

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

I dont know many professionals with an opportunity to double or triple their salary that would not at least listen. 

To prove it someone offer me double and let's see what happens😀

Just put it this way and put yourself in Jay Wright mind if we make a change after this year

1) I am an East coast guy coaching at a place that I have won two national championships in the last 4 years making great money.

2) I can have a couple of bad seasons and still have job security because I can have this job as long as I want it.

3) I can go to IU where they just they just fired a good young coach after 3 years

4) Go to IU where the fan base will turn on you in a heart beat if you are not competing for championships in 3 years.

You can insert names like Bennett and Few as well in these things as well.

1 hour ago, Indy1987 said:

The problem with that reasoning is CAM is not producing results that makes us a Top 10 school.  Hell we haven't been a Top 68 yet for that matter.  Just because he's #10 doesn't mean he's better than #25.   Maybe just maybe old Fred made a bad hire and overpaid.  Honestly I think CAM could have been had for a lot less and after showing some progress got a huge raise.  

Regardless CAM will be back next year and get one more try to prove he's the guy.   I'm pulling for him but honestly my confidence and expectations for next year aren't high.

Go Hoosiers!!!

never said anything about if he is worth that contract just stating IU is not cheap when paying coaches.

34 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

It has. 

The players are worse, they're soft and wimpy in comparison, they're less skilled, they're not even actually more athletic, the game is worse, the rules are bad

Signed,

Scott

:) 

Exactly right, they might be more athletic but the college game is younger meaning less experience which s making the product on the court worse.

5 hours ago, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

I’m not disagreeing with you because I also would like the most talented players we can get I think it’s fair to blend your two points though.  You picked great examples of 50-70 range players that 1. Stayed together multiple years and 2. Elevated their level of play to expectations or higher and it resulted in championships for their teams.  There are many 50-100 rated prospects who DONT fit that bill as well.  Being ranked in the top 100 is , in my opinion, based Primarily  on the following 1. Ability to score the ball 2. Size relative  to position 3. Athleticism 4. Potential for growth ( physically or game growth ).  Aau basketball has become a scoring competition amongst the most athletic players.  Team basketball has been de-emphasized in summer play.   To make a generic example 6’4 kid who is fast and can jump out of the gym but ISNT the most consistent shooter and dominates the ball rather than facilitating is going to get more attention than a 6 ft kid who can’t jump as high but is more consistent in the other areas.  I think you both wanted THE most talented kids I think he’s just saying don’t look at their star level alone we have to also make sure they fit the program or identity that the coach wants to have.  The lack of consistency is a major problem for us and right know even a Kyle Hornsby type player would do absolute wonders for us spacing the floor and limiting turnovers

take the highest rated guys on your board but don’t offer unless your sure they fit the mold and that includes intelligence and shooting 

Oh, good grief ...

You mention Hornsby and I go to a happy place in my brain.

Thanks for taking me back.

49 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

People probably wouldn’t have been complaining in year 3 since he won the league in years 2-5. Which makes absolutely no sense because people keep saying how it takes 4 years for a coach to get his players and start being successful. 

No, but in year 2, I can imagine people like you and dbmhoosier lighting the torches and grabbing for pitchforks after losing to South Carolina, or UTEP (even with a HOFer coaching them) or losing 3 out of 4 in B10 play.

Y'all can hold your breath waiting for Archie to get fired if you want, but you're gonna get awfully blue (in more ways than one)...

20 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Rob Phinisee is over rated.  Come at me bro!!!!

He was ranked at 135th out of high school. I'd say he plays a bit better than expected or may be on par. Now, Durham (230th) and Green (197th) are about where they're supposed to be at. Considering the amount of playing time they've had, they haven't gotten better much, which kind of makes sense even though ranking system is not entirely accurate. It still gives us some ideas. 

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

No, but in year 2, I can imagine people like you and dbmhoosier lighting the torches and grabbing for pitchforks after losing to South Carolina, or UTEP (even with a HOFer coaching them) or losing 3 out of 4 in B10 play.

Y'all can hold your breath waiting for Archie to get fired if you want, but you're gonna get awfully blue (in more ways than one)...

How about starting the 80-81 season 7-5 and losing to Pan American

1 hour ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Hate saying this, but maybe we, as IU fans, should lower our expectations. I almost feel this is where the program is right now.

That way, by having lower expectations, fans will be pleasantly surprised when the team does well. …. JMO

If this is the case, then what was the point of firing Crean in the first place?

48 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

our improvement next year is going to be based on (1) another year of experience for the guys coming back, and (2) some sort of addition by subtraction chemistry thing happening. 

Not picking on you, Axn - but this is almost word for word what many people said last year. 

Our 3-point shooting this season was supposed to improve because the "right" people (our current guards) would be taking the shots, and Romeo leaving would be "addition by subtraction."  That phrase got lots of "likes" last year.

Instead, yesterday was IU's worst shooting efficiency game since Crean's first season in 2008-2009, when we were 1-17 in conference.

Source:  From InsideTheHall:  "(This) was the worst offensive performance for the program from an efficiency standpoint since 2009. Indiana finished with just .7 points per possession, its lowest mark since scoring just .698 against Michigan State in Tom Crean’s first season.

Go IU.  Hope we turn this around. 

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

How about starting the 80-81 season 7-5 and losing to Pan American

God grief, why is this the go to example.  Just like using coach K as the example for firing a coach before 87 years have past.  Not the same game, not the same era and i think Coach Knight might have established himself as a legitimate top calibur coach by this point. 

9 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Considering he had already come in 3rd in the conference his first year was 6-0 before that rough patch there would have been a little more understanding.  

4 minutes ago, Madison22 said:

Not picking on you, Axn - but this is almost word for word what many people said last year. 

Our 3-point shooting this season was supposed to improve because the "right" people (our current guards) would be taking the shots, and Romeo leaving would be "addition by subtraction."  That phrase got lots of "likes" last year.

Instead, yesterday was IU's worst shooting efficiency game since Crean's first season in 2008-2009, when we were 1-17 in conference.

Source:  From InsideTheHall:  "(This) was the worst offensive performance for the program from an efficiency standpoint since 2009. Indiana finished with just .7 points per possession, its lowest mark since scoring just .698 against Michigan State in Tom Crean’s first season.

Go IU.  Hope we turn this around. 

True ...but you both may be right 🤷🏼‍♂️

Archived