Penn State Postgame Thread

KDB

So frustrating to be a team where after the Maryland game, we go from saying “we got this at Penn State, we finally turned a corner”, to “lets hope to God Ohio State doesn’t beat us by 25”. Al, Justin, and Devonte do indeed give us some good moments and have helped us at times no doubt, but their low basketball IQ and half-ass hustle that come out on a more so basis is really getting old. 

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's as simple as this...

Frontcourt: 16/28 from the field

Backcourt: 3/29 from the field

Some of us have been saying all along that of this team is going to win, it has to be ugly, physical, inside basketball with emphasis on crashing the boards at both ends and suffocating defense. Or "Brunk Force Trauma" as BEKA so aptly put it.

As far as the turnovers go, physical mistakes I can live with. Mental mistakes or carelessness with the basketball are inexcusable. Penn St led the B10 in steals coming in...I'm sure the team knew that...but they sure didn't act like it with the lazy passes...

17 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

It's as simple as this...

Frontcourt: 16/28 from the field

Backcourt: 3/29 from the field

Some of us have been saying all along that of this team is going to win, it has to be ugly, physical, inside basketball with emphasis on crashing the boards at both ends and suffocating defense. Or "Brunk Force Trauma" as BEKA so aptly put it.

As far as the turnovers go, physical mistakes I can live with. Mental mistakes or carelessness with the basketball are inexcusable. Penn St led the B10 in steals coming in...I'm sure the team knew that...but they sure didn't act like it with the lazy passes...

That's all I keep asking. I think some highlighted their points of view in the what would you change thread....some thought we go small or move Justin or do xyz with our guards/wings.....BS is my opinion on that. Pound it down low. Pound it down low. It just can't be that hard of a concept to grasp for fans or coaches.

IU will still make the tourney. We probably will lose Saturday before winning a couple at home. My issue is this... limited roster or not (which quite frankly I'm tired of guys never being available)....there had to be another option last night for our guard play. 39-35 and we had 6 straight possessions of pure dumb across the board starting with coach.

1 minute ago, NCHoosier32 said:

everyone literally called me crazy and told me i didn't understand how the ncaa selection worked when i said this a few days ago.

I don't know if people are calling you crazy or what but it sounds like you take more joy in potentially being right about our team failing on the road than offering up a solution??. As of right now we are 7, 8, or 9 seed on every tourney projection out there. We lost on the road to a top 25 team. Our seed line isn't going to get worse after that....or much worse with another loss on Saturday. 

I know we watch IU a lot more closely but the playing on the road problem is just not an IU problem but you see it across the country.  I just don't really understand how kids can play so much better at home than on the road.  Yes the crowd is cheering for the other team but other than that everything else is the same.  The basket is still 10 feet high and the court is 94 feet long so I don't see why shooting is so different. Look at Purdue where they look great at home and can hit 3's then on the road they look horrible just like we do.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I know we watch IU a lot more closely but the playing on the road problem is just not an IU problem but you see it across the country.  I just don't really understand how kids can play so much better at home than on the road.  Yes the crowd is cheering for the other team but other than that everything else is the same.  The basket is still 10 feet high and the court is 94 feet long so I don't see why shooting is so different. Look at Purdue where they look great at home and can hit 3's then on the road they look horrible just like we do.

I mean, it's not like everything is exactly the same. Some rims are tighter than others, Minnesota's court is a raised court, a home court floor can have "dead" spots that visitors aren't as familiar with, if you come in the night before you're sleeping in unfamiliar environments, etc. My problem with our road play is we seem to play a lot dumber on the road, and there's a pretty clear lack of effort or energy in some cases, particularly last night.

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

It's certainly something that isn't mutually exclusive to IU for sure. I can handle missed shots or whatever...especially on the road. What I can't get is the lack of valuing the basics of basketball on the road that gives you the best chance to win. Highest percentage shot, crisp passes, don't stand dribble from 27 and jack a shot with 4 seconds on shot clock.....don't leave your feet with ball....some real, real basic stuff that we do and a close game turns into 15 point deficit so quick.

32 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Losing on the road is 1 thing. Getting the brakes beat off you like you stole something is completely different.  We might well stay in Bloomington and phone it in for road games

7 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

It's certainly something that isn't mutually exclusive to IU for sure. I can handle missed shots or whatever...especially on the road. What I can't get is the lack of valuing the basics of basketball on the road that gives you the best chance to win. Highest percentage shot, crisp passes, don't stand dribble from 27 and jack a shot with 4 seconds on shot clock.....don't leave your feet with ball....some real, real basic stuff that we do and a close game turns into 15 point deficit so quick.

Probably comes down to the lack of mental toughness.  This team seems to not be able to over come adversity and you usually have more adversity on the road.

1 minute ago, Billingsley99 said:

Losing on the road is 1 thing. Getting the brakes beat off you like you stole something is completely different.  We might well stay in Bloomington and phone it in for road games

Sure does seem like it. Maybe after the Ohio St game a week off is exactly what this team and fans need. Haha. 

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Probably comes down to the lack of mental toughness.  This team seems to not be able to over come adversity and you usually have more adversity on the road.

Lack of mental toughness comes from lack of on the court leadership...

31 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

everyone literally called me crazy and told me i didn't understand how the ncaa selection worked when i said this a few days ago.

10 games remain(5 road/5 home).  I think 5 wins will get us in.  Maybe even 4 but then we probably have to win a BTT game.  The odds of this team winning a road game are slim to none.  Can we win out at home?

PU 2/8

Iowa 2/13

Psu 2/23

Minny 3/4

Wiscy 3/7

The Iowa game will be tough but the other 4 are very winnable.  I really don't like having to win those last 2 games to get in.  Not sure if this team has the mental toughness to preform  under that kinda pressure.

Go Hoosiers!!! 

2 minutes ago, Indy1987 said:

10 games remain(5 road/5 home).  I think 5 wins will get us in.  Maybe even 4 but then we probably have to win a BTT game.  The odds of this team winning a road game are slim to none.  Can we win out at home?

PU 2/8

Iowa 2/13

Psu 2/23

Minny 3/4

Wiscy 3/7

The Iowa game will be tough but the other 4 are very winnable.  I really don't like having to win those last 2 games to get in.  Not sure if this team has the mental toughness to preform  under that kinda pressure.

Go Hoosiers!!! 

agree with all of this

What is so frustrating  to me is that this team has showed that they can play well against the better competition by beating FSU and MSU.  If they could just play with that same level all the time or at least close to it then this team could be a top 25 team.  Like I said last night that if this PSU team is a top 25 team then that is a bad reflection on college basketball.  PSU last night did not even look like a ranked team because they did not play well at all.

27 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Sure does seem like it. Maybe after the Ohio St game a week off is exactly what this team and fans need. Haha. 

I have come to the conclusion that I will try to watch home games and not waste my time with road games. Hurried home last night  could not listen to game was on conference call until I got home. Turned game on 50-39   turned it right off and went into Aydens room watched him sleep thanked God and gave him praise for my little boy.

Just now, NCHoosier32 said:

same!  i watched the first 2 minutes of the 2nd half and knew what we were in for.  i'm a teacher and get up at 5am, so i am happy i got some rest.

I can't seem to do this. I keep watching while thinking every little stretch of decent play is going to be that light bulb moment for this team, and they'll turn it around from that point on. It's like Homer trying to eat the bag of chips when they had all of those puppies. 

5 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

I can't seem to do this. I keep watching while thinking every little stretch of decent play is going to be that light bulb moment for this team, and they'll turn it around from that point on. It's like Homer trying to eat the bag of chips when they had all of those puppies. 

This is me. I keep hoping and waiting for that moment as well and I sit here curious after all of these road miscues....why on Earth do I think it's suddenly going to change? 

7 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

very very rarely do i do this.  has to be a combo of me being very tired, a school night, and us looking really bad.  

8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

What time do you have to be at school to have to get up that early.

well... i got in the habit a long time ago of getting to school early since i usually have bball after school, i try to get things done before school starts.  but we have to be at school no later than 740am.  i don't really have a long commute, but i have two teenagers i have to get up, get going, and get out the door which is quite the struggle!

Archived