2023 NFL Discussion

rico

45 minutes ago, dgambill said:

What I mean was bring in Caldwell to be the OC. I know he interviewed for the HC job but perhaps they can land him for an Assistant coaching job. He's worked with Peyton as QB coach and HC to 2 SBs...was OC to Flacco in helping Baltimore to another SB...went to Detroit and fixed them giving them some of their best years in recent history and I thought helped Stafford quite a bit. He was hired to work with Flores in Miami but as you said he had health issues. Perhaps pair them back together...I think Fields will need A LOT of help....they need a strong offensive guy in that building...or if the Bears go young HC or first time HC you want a veteran presence on that team to mentor a first time HC. I would be shocked if they do hire Poles and he doesn't bring in Bieniemy. Given his track record with Mahomes and working together....but I'd be very nervous about that as well. It's almost like Belicheck with Reid....it almost seems the offense works because of Reid..and not his assistants. Reid still calls all the plays and while you can learn at the masters feet I'm not sure how that translates to the assistants when it's really his finger prints all over the team. So I guess it will just be interesting if the Bears kind of double down on the KC thing.

I would have no issue with Caldwell as OC. Supposedly, Poles has a connection with Flores as well, who I think would be a good HC candidate for Bears if they decide to hire a defensive minded HC. Flores as HC and Caldwell as OC, is something I would be completely on board with. And, like you brought up, Flores/Caldwell already have a working history, so it makes sense.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, btownqb said:

First of all the OT doesn't bother me... if I were going to change it for the playoffs, both teams get a possession from their own 25. You don't need a clock to play an entire quarter. Idk, that's how I'd do it. 

Deciding a game on a coin toss does bother me.

28 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

George picking up Poles at O'Hare airport himself last night...

Lot there I don't understand. No private jet, flying commercial, no car service....of course McCaskey probably thinks the common man approach will earn him sympathy points with some of our fans.

The whole thing looks small time to me but if we get a good GM (like Poles) and Coach I guess none of it really matters.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FritzIam4IU said:

I would have no issue with Caldwell as OC. Supposedly, Poles has a connection with Flores as well, who I think would be a good HC candidate for Bears if they decide to hire a defensive minded HC. Flores as HC and Caldwell as OC, is something I would be completely on board with. And, like you brought up, Flores/Caldwell already have a working history, so it makes sense.

If Poles passes on Bieniemy then that will be a HUGE red flag for his HC candidacy. If guys inside the organization are passing on him then it will be very hard for those outside to take the chance on him unless ownership really falls in love with him.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

First of all the OT doesn't bother me... if I were going to change it for the playoffs, both teams get a possession from their own 25. You don't need a clock to play an entire quarter. Idk, that's how I'd do it. 

I am not losing sleep over it but I kinda like the OT rules in college better. It is more exciting and you get to see both teams have a shot to win the game "offensively". It's a qb driven league and people hate to see their qbs not get a chance to win it. Think about this....had the Patriots made that HUGE comeback against the Falcons but Brady not been given a chance to win it in OT if say the Falcons won the coin toss and went down and scored to start OT the outrage would have been huge. I get the rules...not saying the winner wasn't fairly decided...Bills should have stopped them etc. Just saying as a fan of the game I'm up for changing it. Football is about entertainment value and imo (which counts for nothing) college football get's it right. It's enormously fun and exciting edge of your seat stuff. I'd say maybe start it at the 35 instead of the 25 but I love the idea...and I love the idea of an option of going for two at the end as well deciding the fate. To me there is more entertainment value in getting to watch both teams have a go at each other to win and the gamesmanship and strategy involved in that scenerio as opposed to more of the same or first to score wins type of thing. Purist may find it gimmicky etc but what other sport doesn't allow both offenses to possess the ball or have a shot to win? Baseball doesn't end if the away team scores first in extra innings, soccer & hockey are both fluid possession type and allow both offense and defense basically. Basketball both teams get a chance to score and win with another period...doesn't end because a team makes the first basket. Tennis both sides get a chance to serve etc etc....it's more equal opportunity. You have a team that is more offensive orientated and you would be at a big disadvantage if you don't win the coin flip or visa versa if you do. Anyways...the rules are the rules and KC won fair and square...but personally I felt cheated as a fan to not see Josh Allen get a chance to comeback. That's just me.

Edited by dgambill

Well I hope the Bears hire Brown for their GM position.  He is with Colts now and heard if he is hired the Colts could get a couple of 3rd round picks.  I guess it is part of the Rooney rules. If a minority is hired for a new position and it is a promotion then the new hire current teams gets compensatory picks.

Edited by IU Scott

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Well I hope the Bears hire Brown for their GM position.  He is with Colts now and heard if he is hired the Colts could get a couple of 3rd round picks.  I guess it is part of the Rooney rules. If a minority is hired for a new position and it is a promotion then the new hire current teams gets compensatory picks.

Smh. What a ridiculous rule. 

But, I don't want to lose Brown, unless Ballard doesn't care to have him. If Ballard wants to keep him, which I assume he does... I want Brown to stay with us. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

They are saying they might call him back for second interview, but nothing official with him yet.

14 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Smh. What a ridiculous rule. 

But, I don't want to lose Brown, unless Ballard doesn't care to have him. If Ballard wants to keep him, which I assume he does... I want Brown to stay with us. 

I don't want to lose him either if he is doing a good job...but speaking as someone that has been a manager before you strive to create an environment of excellence and promotions and growth are just a natural biproduct of that environment. You can't just keep your people around forever. It looks good on you, and it causes people inside your organization to buy into the culture as well as they see it benefiting both the organization and them when you are having people grow and get promotions. You also will attract outside talent as well because of the nature of success within your building. I've had numerous hires simply tell me that they chose my job offer over another because of my track record of helping my employees get promotions and move up faster. You hate losing very good people...competent people..and it sucks for Ballad but it's a good thing all the same. It means what you are doing is good...you are having success and your people are in high demand...and with that more than likely finding replacements and continuing that trend is much easier.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 2

Just now, dgambill said:

I don't want to lose him either if he is doing a good job...but speaking as someone that has been a manager before you strive to create an environment of excellence and promotions and growth are just a natural biproduct of that environment. You can't just keep your people around forever. It looks good on you, and it causes people inside your organization to buy into the culture as well as they see it benefiting both the organization and them. You also will attract outside talent as well because of the nature of success within your building. I've had numerous hires simply tell me that they chose my job offer over another because of my track record of helping my employees get promotions and move up faster. You hate losing very good people...competent people..but and it sucks for Ballad but it's a good thing all the same. It means what you are doing is good...you are having success and your people are in high demand...and with that more than likely finding replacements and continuing that trend is much easier.

Oh I agree. Basically, if Brown is "worth" it or however you want view his job performance. If he is good at his job, he's worth more than a pick or two. Much more. 

We would just be merely getting somewhat compensated for losing a good employee, which the reason we are compensated is absolutely ridiculous, but yeah. Not something we should be hoping for. It might work out for us in the long run, but still. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Oh I agree. Basically, if Brown is "worth" it or however you want view his job performance. If he is good at his job, he's worth more than a pick or two. Much more. 

We would just be merely getting somewhat compensated for losing a good employee, which the reason we are compensated is absolutely ridiculous, but yeah. Not something we should be hoping for. It might work out for us in the long run, but still. 

Oh I don't really understand the compensation component...but the Rooney rules etc in the NFL are so messed up who knows. Just happy that we have several guys in our organization that are in high demand it seems. Speaks that we are doing some good things....very different then under Grigson.

I really think this roster is pretty close. A piece or two on both sides from having the opportunity to do something special. That said that happens in a lot of organizations....and they never find that piece and the window passes by. Still I have faith that Ballard will figure it out and make us competitive. SB are so hard to win....truly unless you have transcendent talent at some key positions but being a fixture in the playoffs every year gives us a chance to get to the big show and that's better than what many franchises deal with.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Just looking at the talent KC has, the ability to manage those salaries as well.....looks good to me. We won't find out for a couple drafts but anyone who was hell bent on taking a kid named Mahomes as the 10th pick in 2017 draft is fine by me. 

Curious which way this means we go for Head Coach. If they don't take Bieniemy what's that say about him if a guy from the inside doesn't want him?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

I am not losing sleep over it but I kinda like the OT rules in college better. It is more exciting and you get to see both teams have a shot to win the game "offensively". It's a qb driven league and people hate to see their qbs not get a chance to win it. Think about this....had the Patriots made that HUGE comeback against the Falcons but Brady not been given a chance to win it in OT if say the Falcons won the coin toss and went down and scored to start OT the outrage would have been huge. I get the rules...not saying the winner wasn't fairly decided...Bills should have stopped them etc. Just saying as a fan of the game I'm up for changing it. Football is about entertainment value and imo (which counts for nothing) college football get's it right. It's enormously fun and exciting edge of your seat stuff. I'd say maybe start it at the 35 instead of the 25 but I love the idea...and I love the idea of an option of going for two at the end as well deciding the fate. To me there is more entertainment value in getting to watch both teams have a go at each other to win and the gamesmanship and strategy involved in that scenerio as opposed to more of the same or first to score wins type of thing. Purist may find it gimmicky etc but what other sport doesn't allow both offenses to possess the ball or have a shot to win? Baseball doesn't end if the away team scores first in extra innings, soccer & hockey are both fluid possession type and allow both offense and defense basically. Basketball both teams get a chance to score and win with another period...doesn't end because a team makes the first basket. Tennis both sides get a chance to serve etc etc....it's more equal opportunity. You have a team that is more offensive orientated and you would be at a big disadvantage if you don't win the coin flip or visa versa if you do. Anyways...the rules are the rules and KC won fair and square...but personally I felt cheated as a fan to not see Josh Allen get a chance to comeback. That's just me.

I will always be a proponent of playing another "quarter" in football.  Play it just like all the others.  

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Just looking at the talent KC has, the ability to manage those salaries as well.....looks good to me. We won't find out for a couple drafts but anyone who was hell bent on taking a kid named Mahomes as the 10th pick in 2017 draft is fine by me. 

Curious which way this means we go for Head Coach. If they don't take Bieniemy what's that say about him if a guy from the inside doesn't want him?