2023 NFL Discussion

rico

9 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Really sad Rams left St Louis to move to LA and have their home playoff games be defecto road games…would have never happened in STL.

There’s going to be more than a few people in STL donning orange and black if the Rams make it. They’re still persona non grata. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

SF is a very well coached team on both sides of the ball.  Great schemes.  Good play calls.  Very sound team.  I’m going to predict that their assistants will be coveted for head coaching jobs in coming years.  

DeMeco Ryan, their DC, has interview for Vikings job I believe.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I’d take Shannahan over Mcvey any day of the week…but I don’t trust Jimmy.

I have to say I didn’t initially have a favorable impression of him.  You know, the whole father setting him up thing.  But he’s won me over on merit.  I love their running scheme.  I think having a running attack is huge in the playoffs and in weather.  The Shan running scheme works with a ton of backs, even if drafted outside the first couple of rounds of the draft.    

13 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

DeMeco Ryan, their DC, has interview for Vikings job I believe.

Interesting.  It feels like it wasn’t that long ago that he was a player. 

A head coach’s ability to develop a staff is so critical.  Somebody saw something in a young Ryans to elevate him to D coordinator.  

I think that’s what killed Brian Flores.  Good coach but his ability to build a staff had been a mess.  He literally had four offensive coordinators and four offensive line coaches in THREE years (more than one a year).  He got interviews. I’m sure he was asked about this flaw and I suspect he bombed on his explanation.   It says something that Miami couldn’t wait to get rid of him.

But the staff SF has is a credit to the Shan man. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I’d take Shannahan over Mcvey any day of the week…but I don’t trust Jimmy.

as a Bengals fan, I much prefer facing McVey than Shannahan.  McVey has absolutely made two atrocious challenges in this game.  It's like he thinks he's the smartest guy in the world.

4 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Interesting.  It feels like it wasn’t that long ago that he was a player. 

A head coach’s ability to develop a staff is so critical.  Somebody saw something in a young Ryans to elevate him to D coordinator.  

I think that’s what killed Brian Flores.  Good coach but his ability to build a staff had been a mess.  He literally had four offensive coordinators and four offensive line coaches in THREE years (more than one a year).  He got interviews. I’m sure he was asked about this flaw and I suspect he bombed on his explanation.   It says something that Miami couldn’t wait to get rid of him.

But the staff SF has is a credit to the Shan man. 

Shanahan has definitely done some good things in SF, and hired a great staff.

Mike McDaniel might have a harder time getting a HC position for awhile, since Shanahan does the play calling. He might have to take another OC position where he has play calling duties before he leaps to head coach somewhere.

DeMeco Ryan I think interviewed for another teams head coach position as well, but I can't think of it off the top of my head...maybe Texans.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I have to say I didn’t initially have a favorable impression of him.  You know, the whole father setting him up thing.  But he’s won me over on merit.  I love their running scheme.  I think having a running attack is huge in the playoffs and in weather.  The Shan running scheme works with a ton of backs, even if drafted outside the first couple of rounds of the draft.    

Thought he kinda mismanaged the clock at the end there. Got a first down stop loss of yards and didn’t take time outs ahead of 2 min warning…don’t get it.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Rams still could have gotten a 1st down, if they do and you don't have TOs, it's over. 

Think it was 2nd and 11 with first down at the 2??? With Jimmy G as your qb…you need timeouts and as much time as possible for Jimmy “Checkdown” G. Rams likely we’re likely to run it to use up the timeouts knowing the same situation. Just my opinion…I think Aikman even agreed at the time. I trust my defense there…a lot more than trust Jimmy. Like 2:35 to go in the game…you save like 20-30 seconds by taking them ahead…and we saw how much 13 seconds mean in NFL. I think outcome probably would have been the same…I just don’t see him taking them down the field anyways. That drive before and dropped int killed them. First half Rams had missed opportunities 2nd it was the 49ers.

Edited by dgambill