2023 NFL Discussion

rico

There is a good chance the Flores could have got one of the open head coaching positions this year. He's a good coach.  I would say this likely ends that.  I'm not in his position, so I'm not going to be judgmental, but I would have thought he could bring about greater change by landing with a new team and winning games than by suing the NFL.  

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

There is a good chance the Flores could have got one of the open head coaching positions this year. He's a good coach.  I would say this likely ends that.  I'm not in his position, so I'm not going to be judgmental, but I would have thought he could bring about greater change by landing with a new team and winning games than by suing the NFL.  

The timing is odd.  This thing may reek on the inside.  This wasn't spur of the moment.  

I thought he was doing a hell of a job at Miami and it appeared his team would run through walls for him, then he was fired.  So confusing.  Miami still hasn't hired a replacement.  Confusing.  

I'd still bring him in as a d coordinator candidate.  

I don't care for the kapernick comparisons out there by the weak national media.  Just lazy low hanging fruit   kapernick was so uneducated on his position and was really mismanaged by whoever was truly in his ear about the cause and message.  Dont wear a murderous communist dictator t shirt while asking for support for your cause, that most do actually support, just not your dumbaaa.

Not trying to open any worms.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

Looks like Harbaugh to the Vikings is all but a done deal. As a Vikings fan I’m not thrilled. 

Why do people over pay for caricatures like Gruden, Harbaugh, or Crean?

I realize I'm not at smart as McVey.  If you haven't seen the interview of a reporter asking him what happened in all these certain situations of certain games throughout the years, he remembers every single play.  He thinks and behaves like he's the smartest guy in the room because he is.  Anyways, anyone willing to work for free as a student manager and become buddies with the coaching staff and just be a gym junky and sacrifice about 90 hours a week doing anything and everything for the program, will eventually get an assistant job.  And may, just maybe the stars align and you get lucky to be called up as a head coach.  Or your dad and grandpa are coaches or players and so were you, so you "grew" up around the game.  Most of us grew up around the game.  And they get filthy rich.  Don't get me wrong.  I'm not about to leave my family at home like many of these dudes do but most of them aren't geniuses.  Hell, I bet my jv basketball coach could have made it.  He was so good.  But he chose family as a priority and teaching over insurance.  Just a great guy and builder of young men at the high school level.  Many of you know men just like that.  

Is Michigan going to call his bluff or let him walk with no counter?

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Why do people over pay for caricatures like Gruden, Harbaugh, or Crean?

I realize I'm not at smart as McVey.  If you haven't seen the interview of a reporter asking him what happened in all these certain situations of certain games throughout the years, he remembers every single play.  He thinks and behaves like he's the smartest guy in the room because he is.  Anyways, anyone willing to work for free as a student manager and become buddies with the coaching staff and just be a gym junky and sacrifice about 90 hours a week doing anything and everything for the program, will eventually get an assistant job.  And may, just maybe the stars align and you get lucky to be called up as a head coach.  Or your dad and grandpa are coaches or players and so were you, so you "grew" up around the game.  Most of us grew up around the game.  And they get filthy rich.  Don't get me wrong.  I'm not about to leave my family at home like many of these dudes do but most of them aren't geniuses.  Hell, I bet my jv basketball coach could have made it.  He was so good.  But he chose family as a priority and teaching over insurance.  Just a great guy and builder of young men at the high school level.  Many of you know men just like that.  

Is Michigan going to call his bluff or let him walk with no counter?

Several Michigan fans that I know are done with it. Every off season it seems like it’s a Harbaugh to NFL rumor. Michigan can’t keep sweetening his deal every year. The fans I know are ready to move on, as I would be. 

I think the overall feeling is they caught lightening in a bottle this year rather than “this is going to be a standard year” type of thing. 

• Like 1

Just now, ledies22 said:

Several Michigan fans that I know are done with it. Every off season it seems like it’s a Harbaugh to NFL rumor. Michigan can’t keep sweetening his deal every year. The fans I know are ready to move on, as I would be. 

I think the overall feeling is they caught lightening in a bottle this year rather than “this is going to be a standard year” type of thing. 

I agree with all that but he took a very unsweetened deal as a prove it year and he delivered so shouldn't they re-up on the sweet stuff this year?

Im guessing his bonus for beating osu, winning conference and making the final 4 was nice   

• Like 1

Just going off what I'm hearing, but an old colleague who is a long time sports reporter, with decades in the Miami market, is saying he's talked to sources deep in the Dolphins "family" (his word) and that the owner is in a heap of trouble here. 

Sounds like the $100k to lose games deal may be accurate. 

Grain of salt of course though. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Just going off what I'm hearing, but an old colleague who is a long time sports reporter, with decades in the Miami market, is saying he's talked to sources deep in the Dolphins "family" (his word) and that the owner is in a heap of trouble here. 

Sounds like the $100k to lose games deal may be accurate. 

Grain of salt of course though. 

IF  it is true, no way can he (nor should he) remain an owner of an NFL team in my opinion.

Edited by FritzIam4IU
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

Yeah, the guy this came from basically said what he heard (game fixing by the owner) could decimate the franchise. 

It has to right?

The more I think about it...trying to lose intentionally, besides being against the spirit/integrity of the league, could potentially negatively effect so many players and coaches futures. How many of those coaches would have jobs in a couple years of finishing 2-14?

• Like 1

Flores should have been talked off the ledge, IMO.  It’s like he’s having a breakdown.  Miami has a black GM and his top lieutenants are all black.  All signs point to them signing a biracial coach in days.   That’s going to be a tough sale to a jury. 

He has blown his coaching career.  He is a young multimillionaire who could have gotten another job.  I think I posted a few days ago that he has to be interviewing poorly.  You can see where his head is.  

As for Ross, he’s like Mr Magoo.  If they find it in writing that he paid for losses, no bueno.  But that’s separate and apart from Flores’ holier-than-thou statement about race.  It’s ludicrous to tie that to race. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, FritzIam4IU said:

It has to right?

The more I think about it...trying to lose intentionally, besides being against the spirit/integrity of the league, could potentially negatively effect so many players and coaches futures. How many of those coaches would have jobs in a couple years of finishing 2-14?

This is not surprising.  Teams have been tanking for years, more so in NBA, but it has clearly been happening in the NFL.  Now paying your coach to lose on purpose is taking it to another level.  Which reminds me of a few years ago.  Flores was like a man possessed on the sidelines, trying to win.  And that strife is probably what got him fired.  He wasn't a yes man.  He was too competitive.  

2019 was the season that was mentioned.  They started 0-7.  Beat the jets which were DEFINITELY tanking, then the next week, they beat the Colts and that was my introduction to Flores the man on fire.  I loved him.  And they won 3 of their last 5 included the last two games of the season and it seemed they had momentum and buy in even though they got rid of dang near everyone the off season before.  

12 hours ago, BGleas said:

Yeah, the guy this came from basically said what he heard (game fixing by the owner) could decimate the franchise. 

If these things are true (and it looks that way already) I would think 3/4th voting of league owners would agree to him needing to sell. This article explains what powers Goodell has and what he can do. Came up in the Snyder stuff.

https://www.wusa9.com/article/news/verify/dan-snyder-news-can-nfl-owner-be-forced-to-sell-team/65-37099b6a-5901-441c-8887-5b273e4b5525

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I'm trying to figure out the timing of this Flores stuff from a strategy standpoint. Why wouldn't you wait to see if you didn't get any of these jobs still available? If you didn't get hired your claim would be that much more valuable right?

Because getting or not getting the next job doesn't change what happened with the Dolphins, Giants and Broncos. 

Getting the next job doesn't make what happened less valid or it happening again doesn't make the case 'more valuable. 

What I'm getting from Flores is that this isn't about any one particular job. He's putting his career on the line to fight something that is severely broken. 

• Like 3

Not sure if it's in the cards for Flores or not. Maybe he wants to go down his legal path only. Some team who needs a DC could get a really good one right away? Maybe worth a shot Colts? Wouldn't hurt on a lot of fronts but namely because Flores is really good and could be a great DC....and if Reich doesn't do well you potentially have a head coach on your sidelines already.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Not sure if it's in the cards for Flores or not. Maybe he wants to go down his legal path only. Some team who needs a DC could get a really good one right away? Maybe worth a shot Colts? Wouldn't hurt on a lot of fronts but namely because Flores is really good and could be a great DC....and if Reich doesn't do well you potentially have a head coach on your sidelines already.

Im down.  It would also be a classy move by the colts to make the move in the face of adversity.  

• Like 2